• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I’m looking to add a 10mm to the safe just to have it. Looking for some recommendations

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    The Glock (and I'm not a Glock guy) is a great option.
    One of the many 1911 styled guns are also a good one.

Depends what you're into. SA? DA? Striker? Metal or plastic?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just try the glock first, at least hold it. it is a slightly larger size, including grip, than their 9/40/357sig models.

i had a colt delta gold cup (1911) for a while. real nice gun and great ergo's and of course trigger, limited mag capacity vs glock and other double stacks.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm partial to Colt Delta Elites but I have to say Rock Island Armory makes a fine 10mm for the money. You won't go wrong with a Glock...the full size models don't fit my hand very well but I do have a Glock 29 10mm and a 30 .45.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I’m definitely open to a 1911, I just recently picked up an SR1911 in 45acp and it’s beautiful. I think I want to stay within pistols and not a revolver. Now the fun of trying to find local stock begins

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A G20 was my second P80 build. Like the OP, it just seemed like a good idea to have something in that flavor (and we’re hanging out in black bear turf a little more. W, too). Took a little while to scrape the parts together and had to build it in FDE, but it shoots great! Accurate, not too spanky, not a hiccup operationally. Makes me want one in a 1911 style frame, now.

Anyway: think about an 80% project. Good way to cut your teeth on that if you never have.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    There is a wide variation in 10 mm ammo.
    Some is tame and some is hot. Make sure you compare apples to apples and know what to expect in ammo.
    Generic plinking ammo VERY different from personal protection ammo...especially in 10 mm.

The Glock 20 has already been plugged. I will add a plug for the Glock Model 40.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I got the glock 29. I just really like the gun. I wouldn’t carry it ever. Follow up shots are not easy, but it is a a blast to shoot.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a Glock 20C and made a Glock 29C. I enjoy the caliber. I have about 600 round of 10mm (Magtech) in my personal stash if anyone is looking.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I have a Glock 20C and made a Glock 29C. I enjoy the caliber. I have about 600 round of 10mm (Magtech) in my personal stash if anyone is looking.

What’s the price per box? I figure the ammo will be harder to find then an actual pistol lol

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Price per box wasn’t bad for standard loadings in typical times. I picked up some Herters for $18/50 preCOVID. Underwood 180’s at about $37/50 but that is premium ammo. Now that the unconscionable scalpers sticking the knife in between the shoulder blades are listing 22 LR for blasting grade 25-33 cpr, good luck getting it for anything reasonable. You may have to order and wait or find a source who is reasonable.

As far as loadings go, statements are always made of the different power levels. This is because the 10mm’s loading history is parallel to that of the 41 Magnum. Too much power for the intended purpose led to reduced loads. Hence, development of the 40 S&W.

When I was pondering about and then building my 10mm I was wondering about the different loadings available. I prefer to use factory ammo as a base line before reloading. So I got to poking around in the ballistics charts. I’ve observed generally three different power levels for standardized loadings. I’ll use 180 grain FMJ loadings to illustrate this since it is a standard weight and configuration projectile for the 10mm.

40 S&W standard 180 grain @ 975-1050 fps
    10mm level 1: 180 grain @ 1050 fps
    10mm level 2: 180 grain @ 1150 fps
    10mm level 3: 180 grain @ 1275 fps

These are three distinct levels and the power level can be felt in the character of the recoil at each level. There are boutique makers who claim higher velocities in the 1300+ fps range.

I believe anything above that first tier is too much for defensive purposes. I cut my teeth on 357 and 44 Magnum revolvers. Fast double action a good bit of the time. Defensively, I wouldn’t use the 44 as a defensive round since the are better choices when one considers the shootabiliy of the arm. There is also the terminal ballistics and the effectiveness of the ammunition. Same with the 10mm. If I need a defensive arm and ammo and it had to be a 40 caliber, it would be chambered in 40 S&W which IS a good round. It was developed as a defensive round to fit in standard 9mm size pistols. A downloaded 10mm would work if the pistol I had was chambered as such.

There are handloaders who like to build what some call nuclear loads. Some of those velocities seem a bit optimistic and one needs to have a pistol with good case support. Shooting upper end loads will also shorten the life of the pistol.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I own multiple 10mm handguns. Have bought and sold a few, too. I don't shoot Glocks well, the grip doesn't suit me since I have human hands and wrists. With that said, my preferred 10mm handguns are the Springfield Armory TRP Operator with 6" barrel and the Dan Wesson Silverback. I'd love to get my hands on the STI Perfect 10, but that's no longer made. If I had to go plastic, the Springfield Armory XDM-10 is actually pretty nice. I should have gotten the longer version with the optic cut on the slide, but that's water under the bridge. I may get one at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom