• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattie

Sep 18, 2012
    Can anyone with experience shed light on what specifically MSP is asking for?

At the interview, do they ask for an exhaustive list of all medications? Or limit it to prescriptions and/or certain categories? Specify a time frame? Ask for a dosing schedule? Inquire as to the condition being treated?

Regarding the letter demanded, what are they looking for? A detailed history? Medical conclusions? Opinions? Or simply being used under the doctor’s direction?

Put another way do they want:

1. Mrs. Smith is under my care and uses ambien occasionally as needed under my direction.

or

2. Mrs. Smith has been under my care since x date for y condition and uses ambien occasionally as needed under my direction. Side effects have been x. I do not believe the use of this medication would impact firearm safety.

or

3. Does MSP just demand something and let the applicant/physician try to guess what is “sufficient?”

Thanks for any info.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I ask how many officers are on drugs that a Dr. prescribed , how about politicians what drugs are they taking .
    I see a lot of cops. More than half are on something for depression/anxiety.
    For the members that Had or Have permits that are turning them in , i wish you would reconsider because the State will win in the long run if we cave in . I am not saying it does not add stress or planning when carrying but if you do the leg work we can have small victories .

I see the HPRB as a balance or realignment of Citizen vs. State where the power is restored just for awhile . To see the MSP-LD try to justify a system is comical and sad all in one breath .

I took my 16 hour class. Going to reapply soon. Catonsville is getting ugly.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I ask a question , how many people are soured to the BS of the process that don't apply ?? The infringements that our state brings down on us in a God given right to protect ourselves . SMH

I gave up my permit when they made it criminal to carry outside of the vague restrictions. A conviction for a gun crime would ruin my life.

I applied as one of the post-Woollard, pre-injunction applicants and was eventually denied at both application and HPRB (pre-Hogan appointees). I have made the choice to not apply, even though I would likely meet some of the criteria points, due to the fact that 1 simple misstep would end my career.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    So if you say ibuprofen and they have your medical record saying you have been prescribed flexeril would that be lying to an officer?

Interesting stuff. Good luck OP.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This sort of intrusion is not uncommon, even outside gun circles.

If you are a pilot - especially an airline pilot - your medical history is an open book. You must have a physical every 6 months, there's a long list of drugs that can cause you to fail your medical exam, you must inform the examining physician if you've seen another doctor or psychologist, and if you lie, you lose your license and are subject to fine/prison.

If any airline pilot has an event like losing a wife/child/parent and suffers depression or other psychological symptoms, seeking treatment is a Red Flag and renders you liable to extensive medical review, which grounds you until you get a clearance from the docs.

Of course, the FAA is run by bureaucrats, who are well aware that it's a safer career move to deny your permit, because if they give you a pass and something untoward happens, they look bad. It's no skin off their noses if you lose your job, of course.

What these pilots will sometimes do is to seek counseling from a priest, pastor or rabbi, which is off the medico's books. Or else just avoid treatment at all, and tough it out. Just what you want in the cockpit, a gut who is going through a nasty divorce, thinking about his problems while supposedly flying a few million bucks' worth of aircraft, stuffed with passengers.

This is the fallout of unintended consequences, when the government is here to help you.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    All due respect.....

I don't recall flying an airplane for compensation being protected by the Constitution.

I DO want the guy at the sticks to be sober, he's not my concern whilst out in public minding my own business though.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I’ve been watching this thread because I had an appointment today and my doc asked me if I have ever been arrested, wtf?
    I said yeah, he said ok I’ll mark “seldom”.
    True story. Lol. Tell me that won’t be a red flag on my medical lol.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    All due respect.....

I don't recall flying an airplane for compensation being protected by the Constitution.

I DO want the guy at the sticks to be sober, he's not my concern whilst out in public minding my own business though.

I was addressing the question of excessive regulatory involvement in presumably private medical information, and thought this was a decent example.

How do you feel about people with carry permits being treated for psychological issues? How about examining their posts and media to ascertain mental stability? That's the issue in question, not flying for compensation. How much regulation do you believe ought to be imposed in the name of "public safety"?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve been watching this thread because I had an appointment today and my doc asked me if I have ever been arrested, wtf?
    I said yeah, he said ok I’ll mark “seldom”.
    True story. Lol. Tell me that won’t be a red flag on my medical lol.

I ask that question right after I ask about gladiator movies and whether you’ve seen a grown man naked....

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I once told a JHU nurse that I smoke a cigar a couple times a year , it took me 10 months to get that crap removed . I told the last nurse somebody messed up on my information , I have been back since and it is gone . Don't ever say something you don't written down .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is where I'm heading.

Actually, I expire in less than 3 calendar days, sent my renewal over 80 days ago and haven't hear a fvckn peep from anyone. :sad20:

"Letter from your Employer"
    "Letter from your Doctor"

It's all complete ******** in an effort to deter people from even trying (and it works).

I'm not even going to make contact to beg them for a status update, ef em.

Your permit will still be valid until either the new one comes or they send a denial letter. At which time you can appeal to the HPRB and your permit would still be valid.

I get the principle of not contacting them but renewals generally run ~30-35 days. If it's been over 80 days I would bet that something got lost and the last thing you would want is to have an interaction with a LEO and have them call the MSP Gun Center and your permit be listed as "expired". I'm sure you kept copies of your renewal application and the Certified Mail receipts and I'm also sure that you would have to produce them to not be charged with a 4-203 violation.

My advice, suck it up and give the LD a call and find out what the hell is up with your permit. Ask the nice lady who answers the phone for a sworn.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I emailed a contact I got from a former LD Trooper some of you may know......

Fired off a two sentence email letting them know what my deal is, within 20 minutes my phone rang. Tropper on the phone said someone dropped my message on his desk. He explained tbe same story, permit is good as long as you're in process (they have your app within 30 days of your expiration) you're good to go. Of course, MY answer is..... I don't really want to test that out on the side of the road with another random agency. He fully agreed and understood, he said the MSP is clear on it, luck of the draw somewhat after that. Your permit reads some bullschit about "contact MSP prior to arrest".

They mailed it out the 20th and it was in my mailbox tonight.

That makes twice now I've had interactions with them that were beyond just acceptable, .....over the top nice actually.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I emailed a contact I got from a former LD Trooper some of you may know......

Fired off a two sentence email letting them know what my deal is, within 20 minutes my phone rang. Tropper on the phone said someone dropped my message on his desk. He explained tbe same story, permit is good as long as you're in process (they have your app within 30 days of your expiration) you're good to go. Of course, MY answer is..... I don't really want to test that out on the side of the road with another random agency. He fully agreed and understood, he said the MSP is clear on it, luck of the draw somewhat after that. Your permit reads some bullschit about "contact MSP prior to arrest".

They mailed it out the 20th and it was in my mailbox tonight.

That makes twice now I've had interactions with them that were beyond just acceptable, .....over the top nice actually.

Good to hear. But technically he was incorrect on the 30 days thing, it's actually 14 from the date of your renewal.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sorry for the hijack. We can resume medical discussion.

Hogan is going to direct the Licensing Division to accept personal protection as G&S on day 30 of term two, second quarter of the second year, on a partial lunar eclipse with a small hummingbird hovering outside of his office window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom