• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    Let's face it nobody is pleased with the HQL requirement but its needed if anyone wants to purchase any handguns in the future. I'm not done buying, to many more I want and life's to short not to enjoy something I like.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    HQL will be hard to overturn.

Several states have had some form of firearms ID card for YEARS.

I know Mass had them in the mid-70s. And the local LEO granted them or not. A friend lived in one city where you had to have G&S to get an FOID to buy a firearm. Next town over, the LEO would give you one for asking.

It hasn't been challenged in the post-Heller/McDonald world

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    You DO need the card in your hand to purchase! That's why your picture is on it to idenify yourself as not to use anyone elses card.

I didn't need mine to purchase but they needed the HQL number before they would submit the paperwork to Maryland. They accepted a print out of the number from the website but said they would NOT release the gun without the card.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I didn't need mine to purchase but they needed the HQL number before they would submit the paperwork to Maryland. They accepted a print out of the number from the website but said they would NOT release the gun without the card.

Sounds like a great FFL.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    So what's next ? It's more than just fingerprints, picture ID, registration and shooting one round.

RQL for rifles is next. (Maybe shotguns will be included)

Then the grandfather clause will be done away with. To own a rifle or pistol you need to have the license. You would then be required to register everything you have. No big deal - you are 'qualified' now. Maryland will be safer.

Then, you can't go to range without a HQL or RQL. MSP will periodically check ranges and request to see your license and use the online database to match you to whatever rifle or pistol you are using. Wouldn't want no illegal guns out there.

If the Handgun Qualification License requirement isn't removed, whether by court decision, legislation or nullification, things in this state will get much, much worse for gun owners in the coming years. It truly is the camel's nose in the tent.

A rifle and shotgun qualification license will be the next step and along with that license will come mandatory registration of all long arms. Eventually all grandfather clauses relating to pre-ban weapons and magazines will be eliminated.

For those who are dismissive, consider New York. I had the misfortune to grow up in New York City. When David Dinkins became Mayor he was able to pass legislation in the City Council banning so-called Assault Weapons. Those with registered weapons were forced to surrender or destroy them. A few brave men and women refused. The NYPD's Emergency Service Unit broke down their doors, inserted flash grenades and arrested them at the point of tax payer purchased fully automatic rifles. A few years later New York State passed its own version of the federal Assault Weapons Ban. New York's ban did not have a sunset clause. Individuals who owned so called assault weapons prior to the bill's enactment (outside of NYC) were allowed to keep their firearms and magazines. This year New York State passed the SAFE Act. All of those grandfathered magazines are now illegal to possess. Surrender them, destroy them or move them out of state are your options. Possession of a magazine holding more than ten rounds is a class D violent felony punishable by seven years in a maximum security prison. So called assault weapons must now be registered. Failure to register is a crime. In the coming years they will be confiscated by tactical teams just as they were in New York City, mark my words. Prior to the SAFE Act a pistol license was good for life unless revoked. The five counties of New York City, Suffolk and Nassau counties and Westchester County had licenses that had to be renewed but all upstate counties issued for life - one processing fee and one fingerprint fee and you never had to pay again. The SAFE Act has eliminated lifetime licenses. Now you have to renew every five years or else. To make matters worse, the law now states that if your pistol license is revoked the Police are required to seize all of your rifles and shotguns as well.

I could go on and on. The point I'm making is that I've seen this before and I know from first hand experience what's just around the corner. Understand this, if the requirement to obtain and HQL is not removed you might as well kiss the right to keep and bear arms goodbye in this state. I'm very serious, some folks here view this as just another inconvenience. It's not - it's a complete and unmitigated disaster. Maryland is now just like New York - without a license you can't touch a handgun unless you fall into an exempted class. According to MSP you can no longer rent a handgun without an HQL. That barrier alone will keep hundreds, if not thousands, from every bothering to get involved with the shooting sports to say nothing of owning a handgun for personal protection. I've seen it first hand in New York where the only experience 95% of law abiding people have with pistols comes from watching re-runs of Law and Order.

I would suggest that you treat this new law like the threat that it is. I know I will.

Just my .02.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    On a related note, as a Police Officer I can tell you that this law is a nightmare from a law enforcement perspective.

First and foremost, the law is unconstitutional. The Governor and the Courts can say what they want but I swore an oath before God to uphold and defend both the Federal Constitution as well as the Maryland Constitution and to execute the duties of my office to the best of my skill and judgment. This law sets Police Officers, Troopers and Sheriff's Deputies against peaceable and otherwise law abiding citizens of the state and makes us their enemies. If residents of the state fail to pay to exercise a fundamental right we're supposed to arrest them. If they refuse to comply we're to use all necessary force to include deadly force where required in order to effect the arrest. Me personally, I'll have no part in that. I've lived and Soldiered in third world countries. I have no intention of helping to recreate the conditions I saw overseas here in the United States.

Second, even if the law were to be legitimate how am I supposed to effectively enforce it? There are so many firearms that were owned prior to a registration requirement or which were brought in legitimately from out of state that telling who's grandfathered and who isn't is nearly impossible. For that reason alone the law is toothless. It's also why I believe that mandatory registration of all firearms is coming. Handguns and so called assault weapons will be first to be followed a few years later by all rifles and shotguns. Without a master database accessible to the Officer on the street in the same way that MVA records are accessible this law is exceedingly difficult to enforce.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    According to MSP you can no longer rent a handgun without an HQL. That barrier alone will keep hundreds, if not thousands, from every bothering to get involved with the shooting sports to say nothing of owning a handgun for personal protection.

I don't disagree with you point, however know what you're talking about before you go off on a rant. I know of no place in MD where you can rent a gun as defined by the law.

Last edited:

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    On a related note, as a Police Officer I can tell you that this law is a nightmare from a law enforcement perspective.

First and foremost, the law is unconstitutional. The Governor and the Courts can say what they want but I swore an oath before God to uphold and defend both the Federal Constitution as well as the Maryland Constitution and to execute the duties of my office to the best of my skill and judgment. This law sets Police Officers, Troopers and Sheriff's Deputies against peaceable and otherwise law abiding citizens of the state and makes us their enemies. If residents of the state fail to pay to exercise a fundamental right we're supposed to arrest them. If they refuse to comply we're to use all necessary force to include deadly force where required in order to effect the arrest. Me personally, I'll have no part in that. I've lived and Soldiered in third world countries. I have no intention of helping to recreate the conditions I saw overseas here in the United States.

Second, even if the law were to be legitimate how am I supposed to effectively enforce it? There are so many firearms that were owned prior to a registration requirement or which were brought in legitimately from out of state that telling who's grandfathered and who isn't is nearly impossible. For that reason alone the law is toothless. It's also why I believe that mandatory registration of all firearms is coming. Handguns and so called assault weapons will be first to be followed a few years later by all rifles and shotguns. Without a master database accessible to the Officer on the street in the same way that MVA records are accessible this law is exceedingly difficult to enforce.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    however know what you're talking about before you go off on a rant. I know of no place in MD where you can rent a gun as defined by the law.

All you have to do is go to one of the indoor ranges that provide it - you can rent a handgun to shoot there. Now - you need a HQL to do it.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Cheering about having to buy a license to exercise a constitutional right is well....

Not unlike celebrating being diagnosed with a case of the clap.

The MSP is already reporting on how happy you all are with the "service."

I heard about this from one of my long time gunnies. I had to see it myself to believe that some Maryland gun owners are so short sighted.

My grandmother always told me that when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. I guess the HQL is Maryland lemonade.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    All you have to do is go to one of the indoor ranges that provide it - you can rent a handgun to shoot there. Now - you need a HQL to do it.

As I understand it, 'rent' involves removing a firearm from the premises. Like renting a car and driving it down the road.

You can go to a range and use one of their firearms without an HQL.

Edited to add from SB281:
    14 [(q)] (S) “Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a
    15 regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated
    16 firearm.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mine is active, took less than a day after submission. Props to the MSP for doing it so fast.

Edit: my comment is to mean that at least the MSP is using enough lube to make this butt rape less painful. Not at all happy about this violation of my 2a rights. When all was said and done it cost me $105 to get something guaranteed by the constitution. Sidebar: It should not be more difficult to get a common handgun than it is to vote.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mine is active, took less than a day after submission. Props to the MSP for doing it so fast.

We should really not be openly praising MSP for being so quick to issue this license that is a gross violation of your rights. They look at this as you being happy with it. When we get to court, they can say dumb stuff like "on the largest gun. Forum in Maryland, people were thrilled with the service. No delay in 2A Rights here".

My grandmother always told me that when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. I guess the HQL is Maryland lemonade.

Sadly, John made a very logical post early in this thread about not seeming happy about the big class of Maryland Lemonade garnished with a piece of the Constitution cut up to look like a lemon wedge. We are all still VERY happy about the HQL. Another example of how we are our own worst enemy.:sad20:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

You are not correct. You do not need a HQL to rent a gun at a range. "Rent" as defined by the law means to take it off the premises. Where can you do that in MD? As I said previously, do your research, then rant away.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I'm on record here declaring that the Handgun Qualification License is a violation of our Constitutional Rights. Rather than complain about HQL Happy Talk here, why aren't the members of the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (with help from MDS folks here) running a civil-rights-style picket line everyday in downtown Baltimore?

Or how about AGC-sponsored rallies outside of Baltimore? AGC VP John Josselyn has testified countless times in Annapolis but his post count on MDshooters is only 50 despite being on this forum for more than 5 years. MDS is a great resource but no real interaction? Mr. Josselyn, you are complaining about what goes on here rather than issuing calls for action, updates, clarifications and/or attaboys. More participation/posts from AGC, I think, would be warmly welcomed here.

Possibly one of the most ignorant statements I've witnessed here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom