• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I am not totally surprised, but I think think this one needs to go to 1st street NE. Not so much the loss, but the dicta that will be quoted forever.
    Nothing about lawful Gun Carriers being more law abiding than even cops. If you carry, you are MORE dangerous.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    It was really interesting to listen to the discussion. It sounded like for much of the discussion everyone was approaching it as a 4A matter only when a huge aspect of the case is 2A. Does lawfully exercising a right make a person dangerous?

According to this court, Yes

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Haven't read the opinion but is there a circuit split which would make it more likely for SCOTUS review?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not totally surprised, but I think think this one needs to go to 1st street NE. Not so much the loss, but the dicta that will be quoted forever.
    Nothing about lawful Gun Carriers being more law abiding than even cops. If you carry, you are MORE dangerous.

It does not really say this. All it says is:

The danger justifying a protective frisk arises from the combination of a forced police encounter and the presence of a weapon, not from any illegality of the weapon’s possession.

It's hard to disagree with this logic. Police encounters can be contentious.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Good.... This was a bad decision as I said a few posts back.

Here is the cert petition. It is very well done. But, I don't have much hope that the petitioner will win. But, I am hoping that I am wrong.

Attachments

• Robinson.Shaquille-Montel-Robinson-v-US-No-16-1532-Cert-Petition.pdf
      414.9 KB · Views: 1,529

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good.... This was a bad decision as I said a few posts back.

Sounds like a bad decision to me. So if I am out hunting and run across a DNR officer, they can frisk me because I have a gun?

Maybe I misread the opinion completely, but it does seem to be, if you've got a gun, cops can pat you down at will?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Sounds like a bad decision to me. So if I am out hunting and run across a DNR officer, they can frisk me because I have a gun?

Maybe I misread the opinion completely, but it does seem to be, if you've got a gun, cops can pat you down at will?

They don't have to even see the gun. They can frisk you simply because they've been TOLD that you have a gun. You don't have to be breaking any laws at the time.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    One has to wonder why CA4 is so damn anti carry when every state but Maryland is shall issue. A simple look at the record would show lawful carriers aren't the problem.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

They don't have to even see the gun. They can frisk you simply because they've been TOLD that you have a gun. You don't have to be breaking any laws at the time.

One has to wonder why CA4 is so damn anti carry when every state but Maryland is shall issue. A simple look at the record would show lawful carriers aren't the problem.

This case reminds of New York City's stop and frisk, which was deemed unconstitutional. But somehow, when there might be a gun, it's okay.

This is what is known as a Terry stop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop it is known as stop and frisk in NYC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-and-frisk_in_New_York_City The practice (not the law) was found unconstitutional due to racial profiling. It is still done in NYC, just not to the extent that it was done before the lawsuit.

A Terry stop requires two things reasonable suspicion of some type of criminal activity and a reasonable suspicion of being armed.

If you are hunting, the arm would likely be open carried, so there would need reasonable suspicion of another concealed weapon in order to justify a frisk.

They cannot just frisk you if you have a gun, you need both requirements (reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and reasonable suspicion of being armed)

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    This is what is known as a Terry stop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop it is known as stop and frisk in NYC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-and-frisk_in_New_York_City The practice (not the law) was found unconstitutional due to racial profiling. It is still done in NYC, just not to the extent that it was done before the lawsuit.

A Terry stop requires two things reasonable suspicion of some type of criminal activity and a reasonable suspicion of being armed.

If you are hunting, the arm would likely be open carried, so there would need reasonable suspicion of another concealed weapon in order to justify a frisk.

They cannot just frisk you if you have a gun, you need both requirements (reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and reasonable suspicion of being armed)

In Shaquille Robinson's case he was stopped an frisked simply because someone reported that he had a gun in his pocket and he was in what was considered to be a high crime area. He wasn't committing any crimes at the time. It wasn't even a Terry Stop. That's why the AGs from those states are petitioning the SCOTUS to look at it. It was a bad court decision.

Many jurisdictions have encouraged this "if you see a gun report it" stuff but as long as the person is an otherwise lawful individual they shouldn't be considered dangerous simply because they've been reported to have a gun. Should there be heightened awareness? Yes.

Heightened awareness from a report is one thing but law enforcement should be aware for their own safety that every person they encounter could be armed, reported or not.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    In Shaquille Robinson's case he was stopped an frisked simply because someone reported that he had a gun in his pocket and he was in what was considered to be a high crime area. He wasn't committing any crimes at the time. It wasn't even a Terry Stop. That's why the AGs from those states are petitioning the SCOTUS to look at it. It was a bad court decision.

Many jurisdictions have encouraged this "if you see a gun report it" stuff but as long as the person is an otherwise lawful individual they shouldn't be considered dangerous simply because they've been reported to have a gun. Should there be heightened awareness? Yes.

Heightened awareness from a report is one thing but law enforcement should be aware for their own safety that every person they encounter could be armed, reported or not.

He was stopped because of a traffic violation and he fit a description of someone with a gun. That fulfills both criteria for a Terry stop according to the court. The report of the gun does not appear to be sufficient to stop him, but the traffic violation does. The report of the gun provides the reasonable suspicion of being armed. He was arrested because he is a felon in possession of a gun. That is the crime he was committing and arrested for.

While I don't like the search, it does not seem to be totally unreasonable given the circumstances. There is more to the circumstances then he simply had a gun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    He was stopped because of a traffic violation and he fit a description of someone with a gun. That fulfills both criteria for a Terry stop according to the court. The report of the gun does not appear to be sufficient to stop him, but the traffic violation does. The report of the gun provides the reasonable suspicion of being armed. He was arrested because he is a felon in possession of a gun. That is the crime he was committing and arrested for.

While I don't like the search, it does not seem to be totally unreasonable given the circumstances. There is more to the circumstances then he simply had a gun.

Possession of a gun is legal in WV. The tip was called in about man with a gun, and the only thing that the police could do is a traffic stop after a minor infraction.

Where as Terry is about a crime has or about to take place.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Possession of a gun is legal in WV. The tip was called in about man with a gun, and the only thing that the police could do is a traffic stop after a minor infraction.

Where as Terry is about a crime has or about to take place.

Pg 2 of the cert petition.

"As is relevant here, Terry
    also permits officers, after a lawful stop, to conduct a
    limited search when officers have a “specific and
    articulable” reason to believe that the person they
    have stopped is “armed and presently dangerous to the
    officer or to others.” [Terry v Ohio] at 21, 30."

The court found that the tip provided a specific and articulable reason.

Felons cannot posses guns even in WV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom