• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    I know the 7.62x39 and 300 blackout are very similar in size, anyone know how they compare ballisticlly? What callaber would I be better of oing with in an ar type platform?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    In the AR platform, 300BLK all day everyday.

The magazines for the x39 in the AR can be hit and miss, and have more curve to them due to the taper of the round - where as the 300BLK uses your standard 5.56 magazines.

Terminal ballistics match up pretty close, with the x39 having just the slightest of edges in velocity.

Where the 300BLK shines is external ballistics (compared to x39 anyways). The bullets have better coefficients - and there's just better selection of bullets.

Another point to the 300BLK is it was designed to be used in the AR platform, the x39 wasn't. I've had multiple 300BLK's and they were all proven to be MOA or better shooters when I did my part.

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    It seems like more people prefer the 300blk in the ar platform and the fact they can use a 5.56 mag is a big plus considering I have a bunch of them already. How many 300blk rounds can you usually get in a 30rd 5.56 mag?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    300BLK all the way. As said before great terminal ballistics, as well as external. I can hit a 15" target at 500 yards with good regularity on my 16" rifle. Same mags, bolt & Carrier as a 5.56. Components are easy to find to roll your own rounds, except for powder but that's getting better. You can shoot super and subsonic. Its a fairly light kicking round as well so follow up shots are a breeze. My 11 year old just took her first deer this year with a 300blk.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    It seems like more people prefer the 300blk in the ar platform and the fact they can use a 5.56 mag is a big plus considering I have a bunch of them already. How many 300blk rounds can you usually get in a 30rd 5.56 mag?

30 rounds, the .300 brass is just .223 brass cut and resized.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Uh I'm going to have to disagree.
    I don't know why people are so Down on the 7.62 mags...I use these in a Bushmaster upper that runs flawlessly and eats any cheap commie block ammo that I throw at it. It has more punch than my .300blk and I hardly ever shoot the .300blk because of ammo availability. I just recently rectified the ammo situation so I may get more use out of it now, but the 7.62x39 is my favorite gun to play with.
    (Edited x2 )
    Also: regarding subsonics.... less work (at least in the western world) has been done taking 7.62x39 subsonic, but it has been done.
    with varying loads and projectiles in the 180grn to 220grn size and is commercially produced by Engel Ballistic Research.

1.jpg

30rd_762x39_Black_SS_1807_LR__54880.1405398097.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As mentioned, the 300 BLK is a great round if you are going to shoot suppressed, and is offered in subsonic versions as well as supersonic.

TripleEight

Apr 2, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have an AR in 7.62x39. I have no complaints. I do not have, and have not shot a 300BLK AR so I can't really compare the two, but keep in mind that 300BLK ammo costs about three times as much as the cheap steel cased 7.62x39 ammo.

Fiddlersgreen

IYACYAS
    Nov 4, 2014
    Harford County
    My biggest concern with the 300blk is whether it will stick around or die out. It's safe to say the 7.62x39 isn't going anywhere and it is a lot cheaper to buy ammo. I like the 300blk and it sounds like it's great I'd just hate to have that round loose popularity and die out.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO, I don't think that will happen. In fact, I see more offerings from both firearms and ammo manufactures than ever before.

Hopefully the price of ammo will continue to decline as more people adopt this caliber. I hope I'm right.

I have a DD M4V5 and an Engage 10.5" SBR in 300 BLK.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My biggest concern with the 300blk is whether it will stick around or die out. It's safe to say the 7.62x39 isn't going anywhere and it is a lot cheaper to buy ammo. I like the 300blk and it sounds like it's great I'd just hate to have that round loose popularity and die out.

Reload your own and you will never run out of ammo.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    There is tons of 300 BLK ammo out there for cheap. 500 case auction on GB for around 200 bucks....not going away any time soon.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Reload with free range brass, buying bullets 100 at a time (just got started) I'm running about $.28 per round. Now could cut that even more buying in larger qty.

Ammo costs are not a factor in my decision.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    how can it die if it uses all 223 parts except the barrel? Also if you roll your own you are good no matter.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va

I think it's safe to say it's the most popular .30 cal AR15 variant out there. Probably by a wide margin. It takes the platform from varmint rifle to big game rifle. If the popularity decreases my guess would be that it would turn into a cult following. A small but fiercely dedicated group of enthusiasts.

I like mine, but can't speak to 7.62x39 as I've never shot it. Cheap and plentiful ammo is a compelling benefit I admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom