• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just the coatings. On a seperate note, recently the BCM's overall quality has dropped slightly while Spikes has increasingly gotten better. Noth are good, but the Nickle one clean up MUCH easier on supressed AR's

hmmm, thanks for the info.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Just the BCG's in the last 6 months or so. Uppers and misc parts are still great.

Dern it, I was planning on the BCM. Maybe Ill have to look further into spikes. I was checking out their stuff tonight, when pricing stuff out for the next AR. They are made in Florida though......

FYI I wouldnt be going for the chrome or anything special.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dont forget the "sex dildo attachment" mentioned in another thread. :D (we all know you have that:innocent0)

I think the best rifle is the one that fits the individual needs. A fixed stock and 20in barrel fit my bill.

Lots of individuals are cheap and may never know good products because they see them as a waste.

Im not a gear snob, I always suggest the best parts for the price, or a "value point" of sorts. Some high end parts are needed to get good results, but not always.

I prefer to use the best I can get for my money, being a smith I dont like to run super cheap components because I see why certain parts are cheap.

These things bother me on cheaper AR parts:

Out of Spec Mag wells
    Upper/Lower slop or play
    Roughly Machined Uppers
    Notched Hammers
    Unshrouded Bolt Carriers
    Improperly Staked Parts
    Set Screw or Clamp on Gas Blocks/FSB's
    2 Piece Rail Systems
    Poory Cast FCG parts
    1/9 Twist
    Non M4 Ramps
    Cheap Buffers
    Rough BCG's

You dont have to buy Tier 1 parts to get a good AR, but budget shopping is never smart on AR builds. There is a balance to find.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Lots of individuals are cheap and may never know good products because they see them as a waste.

Im not a gear snob, I always suggest the best parts for the price, or a "value point" of sorts. Some high end parts are needed to get good results, but not always.

I prefer to use the best I can get for my money, being a smith I dont like to run super cheap components because I see why certain parts are cheap.

Out of Spec Mag wells
    Upper/Lower slop or play
    Roughly Machined Uppers
    Notched Hammers
    Unshrouded Bolt Carriers
    Improperly Staked Parts
    2 Piece Rail Systems
    Poory Cast FCG parts
    1/9 Twist
    Non M4 Ramps
    Cheap Buffers
    Rough BCG's

You dont have to buy Tier 1 parts to get a good AR, but budget shopping is never smart on AR builds. There is a balance to find.

I would have to add this is important when doing any kind of build/modification.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL

Out of Spec Mag wells
    Upper/Lower slop or play
    Roughly Machined Uppers
    Notched Hammers
    Unshrouded Bolt Carriers
    Improperly Staked Parts
    2 Piece Rail Systems
    Poory Cast FCG parts
    1/9 Twist
    Non M4 Ramps
    Cheap Buffers
    Rough BCG's

I understand that. I hate to say it though, youd hate my AR lol. Im not sure of my mag well, it drops and loads ok so...I dunno. My rifle has some play bwtween the upper and lower, but nothing worse than the M16A2 I was issued for my short time. My upper seems pretty nice. Notched hammers, Im not sure, you saw my pics lol. My BC is shrouded, atleast what I saw from another pic of a properly shrouded one. Well you saw the pic of how my gas ket is staked. My front gas block..not sure, works find so far lol. I got a 2 piece drop in rail. FCG, again, Im not sure, works fine, breaks clean, no slop, just heavy. I have 1/9 twist lol. Its got m4 feedramps, I never did the pencil test though. Buffer...ehh Im not sure, works so far. Rough BCG...not sure of that either, its smooth to touch if thats what your refering to?

I understand what you mean though, and I believe you give great advice. My next rifle

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    My Stag Mod 1 ( that I lost in a terrible boating accident ) is the best M4 type weapon one can own, :rasp::bannana::rasp::shocked4::kissass::tongue01::spank:
    :innocent0

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    what's the deal with notched hammers?

my bushmasters have notched hammers, but my rock river and timberwolf hammers are not notched. is it a weight/mass thing? because the rock river NM hammer is seriously non-milspec and skeletonized if it is.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    what's the deal with notched hammers?

my bushmasters have notched hammers, but my rock river and timberwolf hammers are not notched. is it a weight/mass thing? because the rock river NM hammer is seriously non-milspec and skeletonized if it is.

Notched hammers were used in conjunction with the exposed firing pins on unshrouded bolt carriers. The notch on the hammer would catch on the firing pin and not allow the hammer to follow the carrier not allowing a slam fire (of sorts) when the disconnector was removed.

I believe it was just another feel good measure by Colt to keep selling their AR's during the "assault rifle" ban craze.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    AR's are no different than any other gear. You can buy cheap junk, you can spend a fortune for gear that YOU personally will never need, you can get a good balance. Look at any thread that mentions revolvers and inevitably someone will get thier feelings hurt when it's suggested that thier beloved:

-S&W isn't as good as they used to be and costs WAY too much
    -Colt was never as good as the hype and costs WAY too much
    -Ruger has the ergonomics of a cinder block
    -Taurus is imported garbage and they'd have been much better served to spend a little more and get the Ruger

There really are differences between the guns. It is a balance of what will you actually do with it vs. what your expectations are vs. what your budget is. If you like it and it serves your needs, be happy. If you have higher expectations or needs than your equipment permits, be honest about it's limitations and save up for better gear.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    They don't care for any mention of Spikes products over there either.
    It got to a point where every Spikes question or thread was merged into one to 'consolidate' them by one of the admins.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    These threads always make my eyes tier up. If you want a mil-spec weapon then you have to join mil.

the only mil spec weapon that wasnt a piece of $**T IMHO is the moss 500 and the 870. Ive had issues with everyother piece of garbage they put in my hands, from 249s to 240's, let me add the madeuce she was good also, other than that eff an m16 or m4. im just speaking of my days in the army, im sure others will voice a different opinion

Last edited:

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    They don't care for any mention of Spikes products over there either.
    It got to a point where every Spikes question or thread was merged into one to 'consolidate' them by one of the admins.

I have an account there and just read a lot (I think I have 0 posts). I'll agree that they are a strange group in some regards, and are heavily censored in a few areas...really weird and I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.

I didn't read the whole thread you posted, but I thought the point of it was that you can fix almost any "inferior" brand AR by replacing parts (unless something is seriously out of spec). You did exactly that, so I'm not sure what the issue is? [EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of another long thread they have going...I would avoid the one you posted entirely as you're never going to change anyone's mind over there]

I have some experience with this topic, having bought an assembled upper with Bushmaster parts. It was assembled incorrectly and began having some problems (I had a thread about it a while back). Chad was nice enough to help me out with it - we replaced some parts, and it's been flawless ever since.

I am cheap too, and can't afford Colt or Noveske, but BCM and Spikes have proven quality and cost almost exactly the same (or less) than Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, etc...so why not?

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Why I like it here.
    When all is said and done my lil M4 won't have too much Armalite left in it, but it'll be a better gun for all that. The snobbish "if it's not like mine it's no good" mindset makes me laugh now, years ago I woulda spun up.
    IRT heavier bullets, I agree, depends on what you want. My cousin has a problem with coyotes, the 223/5.56 will do a yote well, and a small hole for my rug. Problem with hogs, again the 223 should handle the tasty lil guys well, but I'm thinking about a 6.8 upper to 'beef' her up. For 'big' stuff I'll stick with my VTR and M40. I like the AR-10, my bank account is screaming loud enough without the added firepower though. Besides, I've got 10 fingers and 10 guns, have to take my shoes off if I get anymore.
    Just my lil 2 cents.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    We gotta remember, some of these dudes buy the gear but can't use it.

Your equipment is only as good as you are. I agree you need decent stuff that works, but you also need to have the knowledge base and foundation to operate.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Why I like it here.
    When all is said and done my lil M4 won't have too much Armalite left in it, but it'll be a better gun for all that. The snobbish "if it's not like mine it's no good" mindset makes me laugh now, years ago I woulda spun up.
    IRT heavier bullets, I agree, depends on what you want. My cousin has a problem with coyotes, the 223/5.56 will do a yote well, and a small hole for my rug. Problem with hogs, again the 223 should handle the tasty lil guys well, but I'm thinking about a 6.8 upper to 'beef' her up. For 'big' stuff I'll stick with my VTR and M40. I like the AR-10, my bank account is screaming loud enough without the added firepower though. Besides, I've got 10 fingers and 10 guns, have to take my shoes off if I get anymore.
    Just my lil 2 cents.

What cracks me up is alot of the guys who say "if it's not like mine it's no good" are saying that because they believe they are building a true battle rifle, like they will be marching on Baghdad any second. Comments like "I have to have a colt because I wouldn't stake my life on anything less" just kill me for two reasons.
    A) Most (not all) of the guys making those comments have never been or never will be on a two way range. (for the record, I have never been on a two way range, nor do I desire to do so, I'll go if Uncle Sam say's go and I will have a mil-spec issued weapon in my hand not a home built franken-15)
    B) IF something bad happens and you are forced into a home defense situation, are you going to grab your 5.56 "battle rifle" and go plug a squad of raging invaders? No, chances are you are looking at facing less than three bad guys and most AR-15's are more than capable of handling that. If you think you need a $1400 colt to face that situation more power to ya. I am sure it would be more than adequate for the job, BUT what fits the bill is a HD weapon that is simple, easy to use and cycles rounds with absolute reliability and reasonable accuracy. For me that would be a pump shotgun, if I gotta go to my AR-15 and find some 100 beta mags for a HD situation I'm overmatched and need to fall back!

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    I was questioned once over there as to why I was running 20 round pmags rather than 30's.
    My reply was that I shoot paper at the range, and in my experience... the paper has never shot back.
    Someone else commented that my 20 round mags weren't 'battle ready'. :rolleyes:

I still read M4C, but I tire easily when reading some of the crap that is posted there.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    What cracks me up is alot of the guys who say "if it's not like mine it's no good" are saying that because they believe they are building a true battle rifle, like they will be marching on Baghdad any second. Comments like "I have to have a colt because I wouldn't stake my life on anything less" just kill me for two reasons.
    A) Most (not all) of the guys making those comments have never been or never will be on a two way range. (for the record, I have never been on a two way range, nor do I desire to do so, I'll go if Uncle Sam say's go and I will have a mil-spec issued weapon in my hand not a home built franken-15)
    B) IF something bad happens and you are forced into a home defense situation, are you going to grab your 5.56 "battle rifle" and go plug a squad of raging invaders? No, chances are you are looking at facing less than three bad guys and most AR-15's are more than capable of handling that. If you think you need a $1400 colt to face that situation more power to ya. I am sure it would be more than adequate for the job, BUT what fits the bill is a HD weapon that is simple, easy to use and cycles rounds with absolute reliability and reasonable accuracy. For me that would be a pump shotgun, if I gotta go to my AR-15 and find some 100 beta mags for a HD situation I'm overmatched and need to fall back!

LMAO, define "Battle Rifle". WTF is that? A weapon designed and built by the lowest bidder? The "specs" on govt. stuff is the lowest grade they can get away with and meet their requirements. That's why M40's are so popular, they're hand tweaked by a bunch of Keebler Elves at Quantico. I don't want to use my 'battle rifle' at home, with a 4x scope on it, even if I get NV equipment, my lil house just won't support something like that. I'd be tripping over chairs, coffee tables and the dog's tennis balls (do that enough without a scope). If I need it, it's probably a SWAT team coming in and I need to put the "battle rifle" away.
    IMHO, we're building a paper puncher for the joy of building, or we're building a hunter, again with the joy of building involved. I don't want something designed around Baghdad Bob, I want something better than that. Better by my definition.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    LMAO, define "Battle Rifle". WTF is that? A weapon designed and built by the lowest bidder? The "specs" on govt. stuff is the lowest grade they can get away with and meet their requirements. That's why M40's are so popular, they're hand tweaked by a bunch of Keebler Elves at Quantico. I don't want to use my 'battle rifle' at home, with a 4x scope on it, even if I get NV equipment, my lil house just won't support something like that. I'd be tripping over chairs, coffee tables and the dog's tennis balls (do that enough without a scope). If I need it, it's probably a SWAT team coming in and I need to put the "battle rifle" away.
    IMHO, we're building a paper puncher for the joy of building, or we're building a hunter, again with the joy of building involved. I don't want something designed around Baghdad Bob, I want something better than that. Better by my definition.

This is a very good post sir.:thumbsup:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom