• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    While he's no-doubt suspect and forever on the shit lists for many, this should not be sunk or unsupported because of that. A broken watch is right twice a day, after all...

I respectfully disagree, once you promise something and break that promise you no longer deserve any trust or respect.

I no longer trust nor respect Brochin for this reason. When he was first running for office, I discussed issues with him on my front porch for an hour or more, where I argued points and he expressed his views. Now, in the true light of history, his word is no good, therefore I no longer have any respect for him.

He caved in on SB281 because of Owemalley, and I won't forgive him for that.

Just my opinions.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Conjecture and opinion to follow...

In 2013, Brochin played games with FSA, and ended up showing his true colors by voting with his handlers.

In the 2014 session, he remained mostly in the shadows, leaving others to take the heat for mostly innocuous bills.

In the runup to the election, he avoided a lot of heat whenever possible, and saw a lot of pressure at the polls. As a result, he started talking like he'd seen the light, and would now give actual weight to the will of his constituents. We should take anything he says with a block of salt.

I can see a circumstance where, over the next few years, he is given free rein, and keeps playing 'good guy' to try and show himself as a friend of the people. He then garners even more name recognition as a 'reformed reformer', and becomes the 2018 Dem choice for governor. Then, if elected, flips right back over to the Benedict Brochin we all know and loathe.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    And why is this considered a pro 2A bill ?

It's not. And it's a bad bill. Don't support it.

Ask anyone in the criminal justice system about this, they will all agree they need to be able to have this little 'incentitive' to keep prisoners in line.

It was a stunt when Mike Smieigle made a big deal about it; and he was right too because the Dems corrupted the process. But now it's merely a ploy by Brochin (forever to be known as two-faced).

This is not a 2A bill. Stop wasting your time on it. I hope it does not pass.

[picture of Brochin laughing at us here]

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    When I went to Annapolis with the number 2014 on my chest, I meant it.

These politicians (many of them) have no honor, and are a bunch of spineless snakes that will say or do anything that is politically expedient.

I meant what I said and will never forget those who happily disregarded our rights - ignored their own constituents, and caved under political pressure. Brochin is a special snake, because he went out of his way to listen to us, then went his own way - infringing our rights. I've heard some refer to what he did as criminal - I won't go that far, but I wouldn't support or be associated with anything he does. How his staff are still with him is beyond me.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    When I went to Annapolis with the number 2014 on my chest, I meant it.

These politicians (many of them) have no honor, and are a bunch of spineless snakes that will say or do anything that is politically expedient.

I meant what I said and will never forget those who happily disregarded our rights - ignored their own constituents, and caved under political pressure. Brochin is a special snake, because he went out of his way to listen to us, then went his own way - infringing our rights. I've heard some refer to what he did as criminal - I won't go that far, but I wouldn't support or be associated with anything he does. How his staff are still with him is beyond me.

:thumbsup: I support this message.

I have a close friend that often talks about what a great guy Brochin is. I bring up the FSA2013 2A slap in the face, and he immediately goes back to all the other good things Brochin has apparently done for his constituents. We just have to disagree.

If your foundation is being complicit in infringing on fundamental, enumerated rights of self-defense, and disarming the citizenry in an arrogant and misguided attempt to create a unicorn filled utopia, then nothing else you do can be trusted. Period.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    The exact content of the bill aside, with this added to his resume Brochin can continue to paint himself as tough on guns. He will be selling himself as someone who got bipartisan support for gun legislation. In the end, I don't see him as a friend to the gun rights community. He had key votes for FSA 2013, and voted in a manner that lead to it eventually becoming law.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    From what I am reading (maybe I am confused) it takes on minimum sentencing and locks it at 5 years for a felony if in possession of a firearm, functional or not, used or not. I just have a feeling this guy now has something to go after legal firearms owners on some technicality and plans to hammer people with this. People will then feel the risk of owning a firearm is not worth the chance of running afoul of some technicality.

) [The] NOTWITHSTANDING § 14–102 OF THIS ARTICLE, THE court may not impose less than the MANDATORY minimum sentence of 5 years [and, except as otherwise provided in § 4–305 of the Correctional Services Article, the person is not eligible for parole in less than 5 years].
    (III) THE COURT MAY NOT SUSPEND ANY PART OF THE MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCE OF 5 YEARS.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The exact content of the bill aside, with this added to his resume Brochin can continue to paint himself as tough on guns. He will be selling himself as someone who got bipartisan support for gun legislation. In the end, I don't see him as a friend to the gun rights community. He had key votes for FSA 2013, and voted in a manner that lead to it eventually becoming law.

Yes, this exactly! Brochin already misrepresents himself on issues; when directly confronted about his support for SB281 (FSA2013); he merely says he liked the mental health aspects of the bill. The bill was 99% about infringing on 2A rights, and 1% about mental health; he's a special kind of snake I tell you.

If he gets this through, any time he speaks with someone who doesn't know what we know; he will tell them how 'tough on crime' he is.

From what I am reading (maybe I am confused) it takes on minimum sentencing and locks it at 5 years for a felony if in possession of a firearm, functional or not, used or not. I just have a feeling this guy now has something to go after legal firearms owners on some technicality and plans to hammer people with this. People will then feel the risk of owning a firearm is not worth the chance of running afoul of some technicality.

) [The] NOTWITHSTANDING § 14–102 OF THIS ARTICLE, THE court may not impose less than the MANDATORY minimum sentence of 5 years [and, except as otherwise provided in § 4–305 of the Correctional Services Article, the person is not eligible for parole in less than 5 years].
    (III) THE COURT MAY NOT SUSPEND ANY PART OF THE MANDATORY MINIMUM SENTENCE OF 5 YEARS.

Absolutely true. This is another way he is secretly thumbing his nose at us once again. Punish convicted criminals according to what they did; don't make mandatory sentences for the particular tool they used. All the circumstances behind the event (i.e. the character of the convicted person, the weapon, the innocence of the victim, influence of drugs, etc.) all these things are taken into account on the Sentencing Worksheet.

Please people don't support this bill.

Ignore or speak against Brochin.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Just a reminder...

While we want this in general, be careful that Brochin is trying to appease the 2A crowd. I just don't know why.
    Very simple explanation. He lost big time in the northern part of his district which is predominately Republican. In his own words "I got my butt kicked". With winning by a total of 1400 or so votes district wide, he could have lost to an inexperienced new comer if only 750 of those votes had gone the other way.
    He's playing to that population.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Spoke with a relative of mine who's a correctional officer. Good credits DO quell violence in prison. This bill could very well make his job and the jobs of his colleagues more dangerous than it already is.

The carrot of 5 days a month isn't worth removing in the grand scheme of things. 10 months off is what an offender could get from a 5 year sentence. Is that worth endangering the lives of the good folks responsible for keeping them from the rest of us and propping this senator? I don't think so anymore.

I cannot support this.

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    Spoke with a relative of mine who's a correctional officer. Good credits DO quell violence in prison. This bill could very well make his job and the jobs of his colleagues more dangerous than it already is.

The carrot of 5 days a month isn't worth removing in the grand scheme of things. 10 months off is what an offender could get from a 5 year sentence. Is that worth endangering the lives of the good folks responsible for keeping them from the rest of us and propping this senator? I don't think so anymore.

Good argument.

I'll use this same argument when I write my reps in opposition to this bill.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This is one of very few issues that MSI and others have been wrong about.

If anyone is sincere and passionate about making a different; please call me, meet me, lets go shooting together or just have a coffee or beer... just give me a chance to explain why these very few things the gun community in Maryland is doing wrong.

Again, this is not a slight on the wonderful organization of MSI or any other; in full disclosure I am an EM (executive member) of MSI (speaking on my own behalf and for no one else) and actively 'recruit' for them, I'm even on the 'new members committee'; but we all disagree from time to time on some small details. I do not seek a leadership position or any additional responsibility with MSI or anyone else - I am merely standing on principle and speaking the truth - no matter what the cost to me.

To me this bill is not a 2A issue, we have wasted a lot of valuable time discussing it that could have been used supporting other excellent MSI efforts.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think a better approach would be severe sentences for violent crimes and keep the good time credits for behaving inside. That way we still get meaningful punishment and a way to control the animals on the inside.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm going with Minuteman on this one.

This bill has absolutely NOTHING to do with 2A. It does nothing to preserve or restore our 2A rights in this state. It will have no affect what so ever on the law abiding citizens which we all proclaim to be. Weather a criminal stays in for his entire 5 year sentence or gets out 2 years earlier, he's still going to be a criminal.

This bill was introduced as an amendment to SB 281 by Delegate Smeigle, not so much for it's end effect on prisoners, rather to show just what lengths the Democrats would go to in opposing ANYTHING that the Republicans offered up.

Brochin stabbed us in the back big time in 2013. To lend him even a morsel support to a bill that gives us NOTHING and preserves NOTHING, is beyond comprehension. Let's not waste our efforts on tweeking the criminal justice system. We have enough on our plate fighting for the 2A issues.

I say F^#K HIM!This is the prefect issue to stick it up his ass.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I'm going with Minuteman on this one.

This bill has absolutely NOTHING to do with 2A. It does nothing to preserve or restore our 2A rights in this state. It will have no affect what so ever on the law abiding citizens which we all proclaim to be. Weather a criminal stays in for his entire 5 year sentence or gets out 2 years earlier, he's still going to be a criminal.

This bill was introduced as an amendment to SB 281 by Delegate Smeigle, not so much for it's end effect on prisoners, rather to show just what lengths the Democrats would go to in opposing ANYTHING that the Republicans offered up.

Brochin stabbed us in the back big time in 2013. To lend him even a morsel support to a bill that gives us NOTHING and preserves NOTHING, is beyond comprehension. Let's not waste our efforts on tweeking the criminal justice system. We have enough on our plate fighting for the 2A issues.

I say F^#K HIM!This is the prefect issue to stick it up his ass.

Have to agree. In looking at this HB38 is the same, has only the one sponsor and she appears to no longer be a delegate (?). The senate version has 5 sponsers and they are all on JPC...they need one vote to pass it out to the floor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just a reminder...

While we want this in general, be careful that Brochin is trying to appease the 2A crowd. I just don't know why.

He is for this bill now because it really has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. The fact that we, the 2nd Amendment crowd, actually give a crap about this bill is because we want to be able to say we are fine with tough penalties for those that commit crimes with guns. However, this gives us NOTHING of our 2nd Amendment rights back. He can support a bill like this right now because he isn't up for re-election anytime soon and it has absolutely nothing to do with 2nd Amendment Rights.

I could care less about the bill because it does not have anything whatsoever to do with the 2nd Amendment. I think the bill is another feel good pile of steaming BS. Judges will know that there is no chance for a reduction of the sentence for good behavior and they will adjust their sentences accordingly. Passing this law is just like passing SB281/FSA2013. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because you are being tough on crime, but end of the day it still comes down to the judge's discretion. I am fine with giving the Judges discretion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom