• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It is like the Representative or Senator who gets permission from leadership to vote opposite of their party in order to retain the seat.

While I agree with OP's anger, the reality is that this is Maryland and thanks to the electoral college our presidential votes do not count anyway. If this "feel good" gesture helps keep Hogan popular among a few libtard voters I am OK with it. Remember what happened to Erhlich, which ultimately led to butthole O'Malley and SB281.

True... "Plausible Deniability."

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I think it was politically expedient to make this decision.

Maryland is very liberal. Even its Republicans lean more left than they do in other states. By announcing he won't support such an unpopular conservative candidate in a very liberal state, he won't have democrats bashing him over the head with "you voted for Trump!" come reelection time, and I think he knows that MD republicans will vote for him anyway as opposed to a democrat.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.
    - Benjamin Franklin

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    It's not about just MD, it's a national sphere of influence and giving ammo/talking points to the democrats in other parts of the country where it does matter. "Even governors in his own party are not voting for him, even the republicans do not think he is presidential"
    CBS evening news did just that. They had a picture of Hogan up while talking about Trump's support in his own party dropping.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Maryland is very liberal. Even its Republicans lean more left than they do in other states. By announcing he won't support such an unpopular conservative candidate in a very liberal state, he won't have democrats bashing him over the head with "you voted for Trump!" come reelection time, and I think he knows that MD republicans will vote for him anyway as opposed to a democrat.

I think that is what he and his people think is going to happen. I think he's overplaying his hand in that regard. Let me just say this, if I'm any kind of a representative example. I've been voting for 32 years as a Republican. I have never, ever, voted for a (D), not once. And I will likely not vote for one again this next time. But I won't vote for Hogan either.

I'm practical. Heck I'm voting for Trump and I'm not thrilled about it. Because I realize the implications of a Hillary presidency and Supreme Court. I can stomach Trump. I can no longer stomach Hogan. I'm tired of being thrown a few scraps and then being told how grateful I should be like I'm some kind of dog. I'm tired of the unspoken bullying tactic of "support me regardless or you get this democratic boogeyman in the closet." I'm tired of him kissing the ass of the left wingers when they want him to emasculate police officers' rights or ignore the pleas of gun owners. And now the fact he would do something to harm his own party's candidate and in effect help Hillary.

Nah. I don't want a democratic governor either, God knows. But at some point one has to draw the line as far as what they'll accept and still vote for someone.

So no I won't vote for him again. Unless he makes a dramatic turnaround, which I doubt. And I'll tell you something else. I don't think you're going to see any big changes if he gets a second term either.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    if he's voting to get re-elected. i may have to rethink my vote.:rolleyes:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    His "shrewd move" may cost him reelection. Better to STFU then to piss off the people that supported you.

This right here. Nothing wrong with saying, "I have no idea who I am going to vote for. Probably not going to know for sure until election day."

However, to openly go against Trump this early on is just terrible. I understand his thinking, and I understand why. It is all to set him up for re-election day. Problem is, as already mentioned, the country would have to deal with a severely left leaning Supreme Court for 20+ years if Hillary gets elected. I am not a big fan of Trump. Heck, it pains me to see that Trump and Hillary are the best two candidates that we can put up for election. Our Founding Fathers must be turning over in the graves seeing this and the rest of the BS that is going on in this country.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Republicans who won't support Trump would rather deal with Crooked Hillary and sell out the constituents that they never cared for in order to score points with other constituents that they do care about. Hogan needs left leaning independents to get reelected and thinks the yahoos (like me) have no where else to go. I hope they also fund his campaign, because I will not.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I think that is what he and his people think is going to happen. I think he's overplaying his hand in that regard. Let me just say this, if I'm any kind of a representative example. I've been voting for 32 years as a Republican. I have never, ever, voted for a (D), not once. And I will likely not vote for one again this next time. But I won't vote for Hogan either.

I'm practical. Heck I'm voting for Trump and I'm not thrilled about it. Because I realize the implications of a Hillary presidency and Supreme Court. I can stomach Trump. I can no longer stomach Hogan. I'm tired of being thrown a few scraps and then being told how grateful I should be like I'm some kind of dog. I'm tired of the unspoken bullying tactic of "support me regardless or you get this democratic boogeyman in the closet." I'm tired of him kissing the ass of the left wingers when they want him to emasculate police officers' rights or ignore the pleas of gun owners. And now the fact he would do something to harm his own party's candidate and in effect help Hillary.

Nah. I don't want a democratic governor either, God knows. But at some point one has to draw the line as far as what they'll accept and still vote for someone.

So no I won't vote for him again. Unless he makes a dramatic turnaround, which I doubt. And I'll tell you something else. I don't think you're going to see any big changes if he gets a second term either.

:thumbsup:

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County

Trump really benefited from the large field of Republican candidates. Trump is very polarizing and the other Republican candidates split the anti- trump crowd. Had there been only 4 or 5 other candidates I think we would have a different Republican presumptive nominee.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011

Trump really benefited from the large field of Republican candidates. Trump is very polarizing and the other Republican candidates split the anti- trump crowd. Had there been only 4 or 5 other candidates I think we would have a different Republican presumptive nominee.

Republicans suck. We have repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot by being on the wrong side, and cowered in corners when leadership was needed most. We had 16 other choices, they all sucked worse than Trump. Any one of them could have stood up at the beginning and made some bold but seemingly unpopular stands, but they didn't. All they could muster was a little ankle biting. If you didn't notice, the republicans flushed themselves down the toilet over the last 7 years. Their existence in politics is so marginal, Thank God someone like Trump came forward to carry the name. You think there was forward going success possible for a party that spends it's time licking Obama's peter and talking about abortion?

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD

So, Hogan adds one for Hillary. And ergo, she gets to establish the most liberal , anti-2nd amendment supreme court in US history. Doesn't he get it? He's one and done - regardless - just like Ehrlich who tried to straddle the fence. The only chance Republicans have in Maryland is when a very unpopular governor (like Glendening or OMalley) have bozo step-and-fetch Lt. governors that are given the nod. If he doesn't come around, I absolutely will not vote for him in the next election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom