Handgun permit...how long did yours take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Had my informal review today. Of course I still don't meet their requirements and the review was more of a 'this is why you were disapproved' type of meeting. The MSP, following Md state law, cannot grant a permit for the fear of danger or anxiety of danger, only actual danger, so without any actual attempts to rob me of my narc prescriptions, I'm SOL.

The trooper was very professional and we actually had a chat 'off the record' where I made my point that neither my military training nor his police training would ever suggest developing a self-defense strategy AFTER first being assaulted or attacked to which he could only smile, but agree or not, they are held to the current Maryland law.

I have the option for a formal review but see no sense to that other than to waste more of my time. As far as I'm concerned, I gave it a shot and perhaps contributed to the MSP's disapproval statistics, now it's time to move on to more productive things.

Any word on the SAF lawsuit? :innocent0

Docster:

Hang in there, and don't give up, Brother. I've been there and done that, in terms of going to the Handgun Permit Review Board. I got denied there, too. I go to Cecil County Circuit Court on August 10th...

It costs NOTHING, but a little of your time, to go to the Review Board. After that, the stakes go up, but you can decide what you're going to do then. Who knows, by then Woollard, Williams, or one of the other cases will break. Maybe you will get a good lawyer to take up your case? Either way, you've paid for the ticket, you might as well get the full ride!

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.u...il.jis?caseId=07C10000383&loc=51&detailLoc=CC

Thanks for your Patriotism!

Dead Eye

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I felt it was worth a shot. If nothing else, it affected MSP's statistics. I'm not an MD, but as a Physician Assistant I'm licensed to prescribe narcs and carry the prescriptions. As I explained to the officer, patients identify me publicly as 'their doc' so that makes me a target. Oh well, just today got my Fla non-resident carry permit, so at least I can carry legally in 32 states. We all make choices regarding the rest of the times....

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I felt it was worth a shot. If nothing else, it affected MSP's statistics. I'm not an MD, but as a Physician Assistant I'm licensed to prescribe narcs and carry the prescriptions. As I explained to the officer, patients identify me publicly as 'their doc' so that makes me a target. Oh well, just today got my Fla non-resident carry permit, so at least I can carry legally in 32 states. We all make choices regarding the rest of the times....

I made it as far as the Circuit Court, last Wednesday, on my appeal. As expected, I was denied. The SAT has asked nicely that I not continue, so as to potentially muddy the waters for their pending case, so I will oblidge. I am in the process of applying for a FL permit. It is really crazy that one can send nearly the same information to a different group of people, in a different state, and be granted a permit for an issue that is SUPPOSED to be an inalienable right!

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I made it as far as the Circuit Court, last Wednesday, on my appeal. As expected, I was denied. The SAT has asked nicely that I not continue, so as to potentially muddy the waters for their pending case, so I will oblidge. I am in the process of applying for a FL permit. It is really crazy that one can send nearly the same information to a different group of people, in a different state, and be granted a permit for an issue that is SUPPOSED to be an inalienable right!

Remember how when you were a kid, and you believed in Santa? Then as you got older, you weren't so sure. You REALLY wanted to believe in Santa, it seemed so right. That is what the anti's are going through right now.....

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    Remember how when you were a kid, and you believed in Santa? Then as you got older, you weren't so sure. You REALLY wanted to believe in Santa, it seemed so right. That is what the anti's are going through right now.....

Unfortunately, at this point, I am the one that feels like I did when I was 6 years old and got up in the middle of the night to pee, only to find my parents stuffing presents under the tree.

I find it highly disgusting, inhumane, and immoral that I should have to fight for a right with my money, time and resources, that has already been given to me by God Almighty. I pray for these people in that he would show mercy on their putrid souls.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Contact your delegates (as you probably have) and keep pushing. I hope Delegate Schmiegel & company get reciprocity with some states as they have a bill in committee. This should eliminate having to have a reason for our 2nd amendment right.

Ask them the definition of a criminal while you're at it? ... Because criminals follow laws don't they?

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    Contact your delegates (as you probably have) and keep pushing. I hope Delegate Schmiegel & company get reciprocity with some states as they have a bill in committee. This should eliminate having to have a reason for our 2nd amendment right.

Ask them the definition of a criminal while you're at it? ... Because criminals follow laws don't they?

Already sent.

Zoey

Aug 22, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I am new to the forums, and this is my first post. Very sorry to hear, Docster.

I married my Wife when I was 18 and I am now turning 20 this November. I was born and raised in Queens, NY (New York City) and I thought nothing of conceal carry because of how bad the laws were there.

Aside from that, I was underage and technically I still am.

Soon after we moved into our apartment, the 3rd month, two months ago I was mugged in Gaithersburg right before I got into my car, outside of the Giant Super store on New Design

The mugger asked why my Wife was black and asked if I had anything valuable. As soon as I got home, I called the police and filed a report and told them what happened.

Then I started looking up permits for carry here in Maryland, and it just very well looks like I am going to apply next next November.

How long do you think the entire process will take after the application is sent in? - Approved/disapproved. 90 business days sounds better than nothing!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Zoey, you have to be 21 to own/carry a handgun. Your application wouldn't even be processed because your underage.

If you were 21, you would most likely be disapproved. MD considers the threat of you with a gun to be much greater than the threat a robber would pose to you.

If rape victims are being denied, I doubt you will be approved. :(

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    I am new to the forums, and this is my first post. Very sorry to hear, Docster.

I married my Wife when I was 18 and I am now turning 20 this November. I was born and raised in Queens, NY (New York City) and I thought nothing of conceal carry because of how bad the laws were there.

Aside from that, I was underage and technically I still am.

Soon after we moved into our apartment, the 3rd month, two months ago I was mugged in Gaithersburg right before I got into my car, outside of the Giant Super store on New Design

The mugger asked why my Wife was black and asked if I had anything valuable. As soon as I got home, I called the police and filed a report and told them what happened.

Then I started looking up permits for carry here in Maryland, and it just very well looks like I am going to apply next next November.

How long do you think the entire process will take after the application is sent in? - Approved/disapproved. 90 business days sounds better than nothing!

Yes, as stupid as it may sound, Maryland views that as a random act of violence, that can happen to anyone. They only allow permits for personal protection if the mugger publicly states that he is coming back for you, specifically. Then you either have to have a police report, or a notarized statement to such from a non-family member. Plan on it lasting only a few years IF you get it, for as in the Woollard case, if the perp doesn't show up, the State will no longer view them as a credible threat and will then pull your permit!

Zoey

Aug 22, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Zoey, you have to be 21 to own/carry a handgun. Your application wouldn't even be processed because your underage.

If you were 21, you would most likely be disapproved. MD considers the threat of you with a gun to be much greater than the threat a robber would pose to you.

If rape victims are being denied, I doubt you will be approved. :(

I understand, gprimr! good point!

you do have to be 21 to own/carry a handgun. That is why I mentioned next November! My 21st
    We just moved here in Frederick not to long ago, and what freaks me out is... my Wife IS from Kenya and she did live in Gaithersburg for plenty of years with her Mother
    and she did infact have problems in that area when she was in school and of course Walkersville not to far from here.

It is a racial issue and personal I am guessing. My Wife has no idea who it could have been. I am no wear near dark skin but I feel like I am now lol

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I understand, gprimr!

That is why I said next next November. I understand you have to be 21. It is worth a try I guess when the time comes.

May not be an issue when next November comes. Have you joined MSI?

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I made it as far as the Circuit Court, last Wednesday, on my appeal. As expected, I was denied.

I'm trying to find where it is codified that a non-resident can appeal to a Circuit Court of his or her choosing. Does anyone know whether/not that is the case?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm trying to find where it is codified that a non-resident can appeal to a Circuit Court of his or her choosing. Does anyone know whether/not that is the case?

It is indeed codified in the the State Government Title of State, in particular 10-122 of the Annotated Code (See the highlighted section below):

§ 10-222. Judicial review

(a) Review of final decision. --

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a party who is aggrieved by the final decision in a contested case is entitled to judicial review of the decision as provided in this section.

(2) An agency, including an agency that has delegated a contested case to the Office, is entitled to judicial review of a decision as provided in this section if the agency was a party before the agency or the Office.

(b) Review of interlocutory order. -- Where the presiding officer has final decision-making authority, a person in a contested case who is aggrieved by an interlocutory order is entitled to judicial review if:

(1) the party would qualify under this section for judicial review of any related final decision;

(2) the interlocutory order:

(i) determines rights and liabilities; and

(ii) has immediate legal consequences; and

(3) postponement of judicial review would result in irreparable harm.

(c) Jurisdiction and venue. -- Unless otherwise required by statute, a petition for judicial review shall be filed with the circuit court for the county where any party resides or has a principal place of business.

(d) Parties. --

(1) The court may permit any other interested person to intervene in a proceeding under this section.

(2) If the agency has delegated to the Office the authority to issue the final administrative decision pursuant to § 10-205(a)(3) of this subtitle, and there are 2 or more other parties with adverse interests remaining in the case, the agency may decline to participate in the judicial review. An agency that declines to participate shall inform the court in its initial response.

(e) Stay of enforcement. --

(1) The filing of a petition for judicial review does not automatically stay the enforcement of the final decision.

(2) Except as otherwise provided by law, the final decision maker may grant or the reviewing court may order a stay of the enforcement of the final decision on terms that the final decision maker or court considers proper.

(f) Additional evidence before agency. --

(1) Judicial review of disputed issues of fact shall be confined to the record for judicial review supplemented by additional evidence taken pursuant to this section.

(2) The court may order the presiding officer to take additional evidence on terms that the court considers proper if:

(i) before the hearing date in court, a party applies for leave to offer additional evidence; and

(ii) the court is satisfied that:

1. the evidence is material; and

2. there were good reasons for the failure to offer the evidence in the proceeding before the presiding officer.

(3) On the basis of the additional evidence, the final decision maker may modify the findings and decision.

(4) The final decision maker shall file with the reviewing court, as part of the record:

(i) the additional evidence; and

(ii) any modifications of the findings or decision.

(g) Proceeding. --

(1) The court shall conduct a proceeding under this section without a jury.

(2) A party may offer testimony on alleged irregularities in procedure before the presiding officer that do not appear on the record.

(3) On request, the court shall:

(i) hear oral argument; and

(ii) receive written briefs.

(h) Decision. -- In a proceeding under this section, the court may:

(1) remand the case for further proceedings;

(2) affirm the final decision; or

(3) reverse or modify the decision if any substantial right of the petitioner may have been prejudiced because a finding, conclusion, or decision:

(i) is unconstitutional;

(ii) exceeds the statutory authority or jurisdiction of the final decision maker;

(iii) results from an unlawful procedure;

(iv) is affected by any other error of law;

(v) is unsupported by competent, material, and substantial evidence in light of the entire record as submitted;

(vi) in a case involving termination of employment or employee discipline, fails to reasonably state the basis for the termination or the nature and extent of the penalty or sanction imposed by the agency; or

(vii) is arbitrary or capricious.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 41, § 255; 1984, ch. 284, § 1; 1993, ch. 59, § 1; 1994, ch. 536, § 1; 2005, ch. 25, §§ 12, 13; 2016, ch. 704.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

For a quick lesson on where to find it next time...

Google LexiNexis + Maryland - It will return the following link: https://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/

Follow the link and agree to the conditions.

Peruse Maryland Annotated Code to your hearts content.

Any questions on where to look for things, feel free to ask after you have at least given it a shot. (Not trying to come off as an A$$, but I have found people learn more by doing and trying and then asking questions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom