Handgun permit...how long did yours take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    Before you got your permits, did the detective doing your background check contact the employer? I spoke to my employer and he said that he normally gets called by MSP to verify employment and so forth. However, he said he hasn't gotten a call and it's been 2 weeks since I did my interview.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Before you got your permits, did the detective doing your background check contact the employer? I spoke to my employer and he said that he normally gets called by MSP to verify employment and so forth. However, he said he hasn't gotten a call and it's been 2 weeks since I did my interview.

detective contacted everyone on the list: business partner, wife, former employer, etc.

cbleitch9

Jan 26, 2011
    Annapolis
    Ok, well it's now been almost a month since I did my background interview with MSP detective. I contacted someone at MSP last week and he said that my handgun permit can't be issued until my security clearance card is finished. It's been over 2 months since I applied, when others were saying it takes around 1.5 months for employment purposes. I know that my permits will be mailed to the employer; however, if for some reason I'm denied, will I get a letter at my personal address or will the letter be mailed to my employer?

I really hope MSP finishes soon because I'm unemployed until they do so. You would think that applications for permits based on employment purposes would be top priority.

parbreak

Ultimate Member
    Feb 18, 2008
    Submitted my renewal yesterday. Expires 8/31. That's 150 days. Not expecting new card until August.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    You should know that it will be a "restricted" permit...for on duty only (says it on the back). That's what mine is. If you only do security at ONE location, then you really don't need one. The only reason I have one is that sometimes we are required to travel, and since that need is not likely anymore, when my permit expires it won't be renewed. That's probably a good thing since it may complicate things WHEN I'm able to apply for a personal one.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My interview was 12 Feb and still waiting to hear. I'm approaching 90 days since the app was sent in. Figure it's best to wait till the 90 day mark till I send them a note inquiring as to the status of my application.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mine took about 2 months. The officer called everyone on my list, spoke with my wife to ask if I beat her etc.

bay-boater

Apr 1, 2011
    Washington Co
    Mine took about 2 months. The officer called everyone on my list, spoke with my wife to ask if I beat her etc.

Ya know, the not so funny thing is the MSP are just looking for any little thing to deny you. They asked my wife the same thing. Doesn't make sense to me, I already own a handgun, if I wanted to harm her, I don't need a permit to do that. It was about 2 weeks after my in person interview until I got mine. Good luck to anyone attempting to get theirs, just walk the line and do what is asked.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    He'll get the permit most likely for armed security and it will be valid on duty only.

Basically, all those other things are nice, but to the MSP, an armed citizen is a greater threat than all the bangers in Baltimore, PG and DC put together.

Actually, the decision comes from the top – the MSP follows direction from the “top” - from the incumbents that Maryland citizens keep voting back in office. Those incumbents keep Maryland citizens from ever exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.

Infidel

Apr 3, 2011
    Derwood, Frederick
    There is really only one disqualifying factor, and that is....
    the MSP doesn't think you should have a permit.

That's that.

What do you think you are, some sort of Wyatt Earp, wanting to shoot up the place?? :innocent0

:lol:
    Maryland takes very seriously, it's duty to protect underprivileged minority groups ............ ..... and the criminals are a minority !!

:lol2: :lol2:

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    md carry

handgun permit came in last week, still waiting on clearance card...took the full 90 days for others out there in the same boat.

it is pretty nearly impossible to get a license unless you own a jewelry store and have bank receipts and other documentation- allowing you to carry to and from the bank. Cab drivers used to get them easily enough, But now I doubt it. A Md statute exists allowing you to carry weapons if they are not firearms - meaning no prosecution --- if you reasonably believe someone is threatening or stalking you. And sometimes they will give you a license I am told based on the overall threat and/or pattern of behavior. So if you defend your self with a ball peen hammer- you will probably not be charged with carrying a dangerous weapon- although you may not prevail in the encounter if the person has a 9mm with 14 rounds of Plus P hollow points..... but if he has a knife, you may do just fine!:rolleyes:

cavmp

Apr 7, 2011
    Baltimore
    A lot of things depend on who is processing your packet. Most times they will not issue gun permit until guard card is done, but i have seen the gun permit come before the guard card is complete. In some cases the guard card can take longer than the gun permit, but you are still allowed to work security if the clearance application has been submitted. I just never understood why the gun permit can come back before the guard when both items are applied for at the same time. Also, once you get your first permit, it is much faster for renewals and subsequent permits!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I clarified this in another thread but should have put it here. For time to get carry permit, the application states 'it may take the entire 90 days.' However in reality it's not 90 days, it's 90 BUSINESS days which can be as long as 4 calendar months.

I only realized this after calling the MSP to inquire as to the status of my application. The recording stated the '90 business days' and also noted that any inquiry into the status of your app may cause further delay in it's processing.

I chose not to inquire.......:D

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    Ya know, the not so funny thing is the MSP are just looking for any little thing to deny you. They asked my wife the same thing. Doesn't make sense to me, I already own a handgun, if I wanted to harm her, I don't need a permit to do that. It was about 2 weeks after my in person interview until I got mine. Good luck to anyone attempting to get theirs, just walk the line and do what is asked.

They ask everyone that question, and trust me it makes all the sense in the world. At the same time, it can also hurt you, because if you pissed off the wife or GF.....guess what.

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    You should know that it will be a "restricted" permit...for on duty only (says it on the back). That's what mine is. If you only do security at ONE location, then you really don't need one. The only reason I have one is that sometimes we are required to travel, and since that need is not likely anymore, when my permit expires it won't be renewed. That's probably a good thing since it may complicate things WHEN I'm able to apply for a personal one.

How do you figure that?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The entire process took about a month an a half.. That's if you qualify.

This includes the initial interview, background checks,reference checks, appointment for a final interview... then the yellow card shows up in the mail about a week later.

Well here it is May 16; my interview was Feb 12 and still nothing.:lol:

Last week I sent my app in for the Fla Non-Resident, will prob get that before Maryland responds to my app that was submitted end of Jan!:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom