• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The problem has been identified. The database is almost 10Gb now and the software is not tuned for a datastore of that size. I am working with the host to resolve the issue.

Time to bump the donation thread?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I usually have a rock solid connection, but today it is very slow. Maybe we had a few electrons leave on vacation this morning.

Good luck with the fix!
    Jim Smith

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    After some further investigation it turns out that it is a DOS attack. It's a primitive attack that is undetectable by our DOS filter. It's just a bunch of IPs hitting the registration page enough to slow the site down but not at a rate that would trip filters. As soon as one IP is manually blocked a new one takes its place. We are in the process of writing a filter that monitors requests to the registration page and if the hits exceed a certain number the IP is added to the firewall. Hopefully after a while the attacker will run out of IPs and the site will be back to normal.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    After some further investigation it turns out that it is a DOS attack. It's a primitive attack that is undetectable by our DOS filter. It's just a bunch of IPs hitting the registration page enough to slow the site down but not at a rate that would trip filters. As soon as one IP is manually blocked a new one takes its place. We are in the process of writing a filter that monitors requests to the registration page and if the hits exceed a certain number the IP is added to the firewall. Hopefully after a while the attacker will run out of IPs and the site will be back to normal.
    I figured as much. The site screened my computer to make sure I wasn't a DDOS bot.
    Looks like we made someone angry:party29:

Americus

Feb 9, 2013

Attachments

• ddos..jpg
      ddos..jpg
      25 KB · Views: 140

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been suspicious of a DOS problem. It's worse tonight that earlier.

There must be folks on this board who could walk back the cat and bite the originator.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Damn, what dicks. :mad54: Whatever you just said is WAY over my head, earlier tonight my isp said mdshooters didn't exist. :sad20:

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Damn, what dicks. :mad54: Whatever you just said is WAY over my head, earlier tonight my isp said mdshooters didn't exist. :sad20:

Someone doesn't like our free speech and the fact that these forums are for the discussions of firearms. So they tried some old school hacking tricks to try to take down the site. Apparently, the succeeded for a short time, because you were not able to access the site.

There are now safeguards against that technique. That is what you saw when you accessed this site and the website said it was checking your browser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom