What's your most versatile handgun and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I took the OP question to mean, as a stand alone pistol. Not conversions or Lego gun, what can I make it into. Of my pistols. My SW 686+ 357mag.

Could take alot of large mammals down. It's easy enough to carry. Ammo is fairly available and can get good loadings. Good range for a pistol.

I used the same rubric. :thumbsup:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I used the same rubric.
    And on the revolver side I could certainly add my GP100 with a 4 inch barrel to the mix. Huge range in power, weight, and velocity.
    875d46057417a06e59d23af3bb8f3216.jpg
    b85fbbbdd8f617bcc9b17dcdc4901e45.jpg

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Glock 21 Longslide
    Have barrels for .45ACP/.45Super, 10mm, .40Super, .460Rowland
    Legal in MD for deer. 15 rounds available in case I run into a surly bear in Western MD.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Ok, HankR topped me in revolver cred :) .

If only ownership equated to proficiency...

But finally the rapid reloading capability of DA revolvers would be a plus for defensive/ duty use . ( Semiauto fans stop snickering.)

Yeah, I consider the SA to be more of "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." Not your weapon of choice for a riot in Balmor'.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been known to carry a .45 Colt Vaquero Sheriff's , but I also had a more rapidly reloadable pistol.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    GLOCK 19G4. Works well for range practice, CCW, hiking, half a dozen competitions, tac classes, and teaching new shooters, and can get any part or accesory for it. It can be either a small big gun, or a big small gun when the need arises. 9mm is powerful enough while being cheap with mild recoil, and a wide power range, so versatile without a pile of conversion parts and barrels that may or may not work.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My VP9 is versatile. I can either shoot it at the range or use it for home defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually the Sheriff's in question is blue/ cased . A non-catalogued variant from before the Sheriff's became a standard item . Strandard XRS Red grip frame ( Blackhawk type ) , and 3.5in bbl instead of the 3.75in on later regular production.

Being original ( large ) frame , it is capable of handling "Ruger Only " loads .

With the shorter bbl helps concealment. I have an El Paso pancake, and a Ross crossdraw.

Disadvantage is the bbl is too short for legal hunting even in Va, WV, and PA . ( But that's what the 7.5in. 45 Bisley is for.) But even with the shorter bbl, is comforting for all eventualities when 4x4'ing or hiking in black bear country . In general I have a saying that you can deal better with meth cookers or pot farmers with a .44 or .45 , than deal with Yogi with a .38 or 9mm .

But I mentioned it primarily as example of SA Rev carry, than that specific pistol being Most Versatile. If you did wish versatile in somthing similar, I would recomend a 4 5/8 Blackhawk, ideally a Convertable .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My G19 is versatile because I can carry it on my hip or in a fanny pack.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My G19 is versatile because I can carry it on my hip or in a fanny pack.

For christ's sake I hope that's a lint free fanny pack.

I don't think I have a more or less versatile handgun. They all do the same thing. They can all be carried concealed or open with relative ease and put holes in places they were aimed at.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    P320. Multiple grip frame options, standard and threaded barrel options, multiple caliber options, std and 17 round mag options, rail, TFX pro sights. Oh and it shoots straight,

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Glock 26.
    Accepts any and all of the double stack 9 magazines.

Easily concealed. Handles common defensive loads (HST, Gold Dot, Critical defense, Winchester defend) with ease.

Parts are plentiful for it, as is the aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom