Is Green Tip M855 5.56 Still Legal In MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    I think even most outdoor ranges disallow steel core rounds. It is a good idea to call the range ahead of time to find out if they allow steel core ammo before you show up disappointed. I'm from the eastern shore (plenty of friends with 100+ acres to go shooting with) so I have no problems. Give them to me! ;)

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Important point and it was actually my next issue. It's an outdoor range near Damascus and I need to confirm if this ammo is allowed or not on the range. I should know this, but it has never been an issue before as I have always used jacketed lead until now. I have been using some old Winchester 55gr stuff that I bought a looong time ago and couldn't get to shoot straight. It's almost gone now. The BlackHills 62gr stuff I used to have was much better.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

It's fine to shoot there (earthen backstop)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    guys, as Evil Twin said, M855/SS109 is not covered by the FSA of 2013 (SB281).

It is not *entirely* made from steel - it has some lead.

It is *not* considered AP ammo by the ATF, and was removed from that list in 2007 where it never belonged.

And that section in the MD law was an attempt to follow the federal definition of AP ammo, although they did change a couple small details.

All outdoor ranges that I shoot at allow it to be fired on their rifle ranges, which have an earthen berm as their backstop. It is appropriate for an indoor range not to allow it's use to avoid damaging their bullet stops.

IANAL however, and this is Maryland, so you never know. Myself, I am not worried about it.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Not sure the WalMart in Germantown sells any ammo any more, but I will certainly check it out.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

You ever find any? I had gotten 2 boxes if it a few months ago and yesterday they had some American eagle 5.56. Was just there and it was all gone. So it is there occasionally. The more elusive ammo now is 22lr and 9mm.

You can also check out united gun shop and atlantic guns in rockville. They usually have 223 and 556 instock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom