Is Green Tip M855 5.56 Still Legal In MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I'm kinda thinkin that if you are using 5.56 in crime, the furthest thing from your mind is probably whether your ammo is illegal....so....CARRY ON!:party29:

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Nobody mentioned where the green tips would be shot. None of the indoor ranges would allow it. The green tips destroy the back stops.

Important point and it was actually my next issue. It's an outdoor range near Damascus and I need to confirm if this ammo is allowed or not on the range. I should know this, but it has never been an issue before as I have always used jacketed lead until now. I have been using some old Winchester 55gr stuff that I bought a looong time ago and couldn't get to shoot straight. It's almost gone now. The BlackHills 62gr stuff I used to have was much better.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    So Green-tip is illegal to use when you are committing a crime????????? DAMMMMMM what are the criminals going to be able to use when committing a crime that's not illegal????? Does SB281 have a section that tells the criminals what ammo is legal to use in a crime? Because if some ammo is illegal then there must be ammo that is legal, right?

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure the M855 would fit the description as stated in the law. The law says:

(2) HAS A CORE CONSTRUCTED, EXCLUDING TRACES OF OTHER SUBSTANCES, ENTIRELY FROM ONE OR A COMBINATION OF:

As you can see in the image below, it is only a portion of the projectile that is steel, and not the entire thing.

IMG_8043.jpg

SW686

MDS Supporter
    Jul 25, 2012
    No you have to paint a rainbow on them so they can't hurt anyone. ;P

:thumbsup:

LOL

I was going to paint unicorns on mine but your idea sounds easier. :)

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    I've been to three Walmarts and they do not sell 223 or 556. Which Walmart locations are you referring too that carry those calibers?

I have checked Bowie, Hanover and Severn.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I want to believe you but the gents manning the desks told me they do not carry them anymore. I'll have to ask again. Thank you

Double checked to be sure I wasn't talking completely out of my @$$:
    Hanover had Tula .223 yesterday and winchester white box 5.56 on the 7th. Severn had .223 on the 2nd.
    Bowie really doesn't carry ammo (there aren't many WMs in MD that don't).

The ammo situation HAS gotten a lot better, but it still ishit or miss in specific stores especially if you are looking for a very specific load.

johnlax38

NOOB
    Nov 19, 2013
    Crofton, MD
    Hanover had Tula .223 yesterday and winchester white box 5.56 on the 7th. Severn had .223 on the 2nd.

The ammo situation HAS gotten a lot better, but it still ishit or miss in specific stores especially if you are looking for a very specific load.

I will be going to Hanover and Severn again but calling before to see if they have it in stock. :party29:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

None of the WMs in Prince George's County carry ammo of any type. It was part of an agreement made between WM and PG county when they started building them in the county 10 or so years ago.

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Well I finally checked with the Range Committee Chairman and the M855 is considered Armour Piercing by the definition of our range rules and thus is not allowed. :sad20: I will probably get some while I can, but I need to start looking for an alternate for range use.

Thanks,

Dogmeat

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Stores should probably ask the purchasers if they intend to use the ammo in a crime of violence. That way they can make sure the criminals get the right kind for crime commission.

I can just see some convicted criminal suing Wallys World for selling him ammo that is banned for crime commission "Because they should have known he was a criminal." then some liberal jury awarding millions to the poor misguided miscreant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom