• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    So I'm fairly new gun owner, and I am unfamiliar with the HQL process other than you have to get a (blasted) HQL to buy a handgun.

I have purchased a few rifles so I know the drill with getting a NICS check, but what do I have to do to get a HQL? How much should I expect to spend?

Also are the any restrictions with purchasing handguns even after getting the HQL or does just become cash and carry with proof of license?

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Still have the 7 day wait with the HQL, no way to cash and carry handguns. There is also the 1 regulared purchase per 30 day limit. That's fixable though with a Designated Collectors license.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

My cost:
    Online application - $50
    Fingerprints & background check - $65
    Hunter safety course (in lieu of handgun course) - $15
    Total - $130

You might find a deal on fingerprinting, but the other two costs are fixed or can't be made lower.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Still have the 7 day wait with the HQL, no way to cash and carry handguns. There is also the 1 regulared purchase per 30 day limit. That's fixable though with a Designated Collectors license.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

My cost:
    Online application - $50
    Fingerprints & background check - $65
    Hunter safety course (in lieu of handgun course) - $15
    Total - $130

You might find a deal on fingerprinting, but the other two costs are fixed or can't be made lower.

That clears a lot up, sucks that even with the license they make you jump through hoops to purchase a handgun. For now, I will forego the designated collector license till I plan to purchase more handguns.

As for the requirements to get the license do you have get the training first, then do the background check, and then finally submit the application? Or does the order not matter?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    So I'm fairly new gun owner, and I am unfamiliar with the HQL process other than you have to get a (blasted) HQL to buy a handgun.

I have purchased a few rifles so I know the drill with getting a NICS check, but what do I have to do to get a HQL? How much should I expect to spend?

Also are the any restrictions with purchasing handguns even after getting the HQL or does just become cash and carry with proof of license?

MSP Website lays it all out
    http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

Most HQL classes cost around $50, with some as low as $20 and some as much as a $100

Livescan fingerprints usually cost between $50 and $75
    MD wants $50 from you for the application.

In most cases, at minimum, the $500 Glock you might be looking at as your first handgun will really cost you at least $650 with the requirements the state has for handgun buyers.

Only after you have received the HQL card in the mail can you make your purchase. Bring the card with you to the dealer and be ready for a lot of paperwork.
    You have to wait 7 days after purchasing the handgun to pick it up. MD also limits the number of handgun purchases you make to 1 for every 30 days or 2 at the same time, wityh a 60 day wait before buying another.

If you'd like to help fight the HQL, check this out :deal:
    https://marylandshallissue.wistia.com/medias/ym6d9upidy

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    You can also bypass the HQL by getting a Federal Curio and Relic license. It's $30 for three years. It lets you buy guns 50 years or older with certain restrictions. The form is here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...ral-firearms-license-atf-form-531012/download

You can get cool guns like the Tokarev TT-C in the picture below mailed directly to your house.
    1a144287f9b27497692c07386fb655e7.jpg

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Take the class first, then get your prints taken, then finish filling out the application.

That clears a lot up, sucks that even with the license they make you jump through hoops to purchase a handgun. For now, I will forego the designated collector license till I plan to purchase more handguns.

As for the requirements to get the license do you have get the training first, then do the background check, and then finally submit the application? Or does the order not matter?

MD Shall Issue currently has a lawsuit against the state arguing the HQL is redundant and is essentially a fee so someone can apply for an application to buy a handgun.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Get the Collector's Letter anyway. Doesn't cost anything and is usually turned around to you in a couple of weeks. Also voids the 1-gun-a-month rule.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

There are places that do the training and fingerprinting at the same time/location for one fee. Check out our industry partners to include Tyler Firearms/Arimus Training, where I am one of the instructors. https://arimustraining.com/courses.php?id=27

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The livescan fingerprints have to be submitted within a certain time frame I recall, hence the training (or hunter safety course) usually is done first. I don't think that there is a requirement to do the training first, though.

I think MD accepts the online Texas hunter safety course. I think its a bit more ($35?) but much more convenient.

Also, if one of your rifles is "regulated" before 2013 (e.g. a pre-ban AR for which you submitted a 77r), I think that qualifies as your regulated firearm in lieu of the training.

OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    There are places that do the training and fingerprinting at the same time/location for one fee. Check out our industry partners to include Tyler Firearms/Arimus Training, where I am one of the instructors. https://arimustraining.com/courses.php?id=27

I've done business with Tyler firearms before, its actually where I transferred my Rifles. So I may check out the training program after doing some more research.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The designated collectors letter only cost the few dollars to have it notarized and sent (say, at a UPS store).

However, they won't give it to you until you have completed at least one regulated firearms transfer on a 77r.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The designated collectors letter only cost the few dollars to have it notarized and sent (say, at a UPS store).

However, they won't give it to you until you have completed at least one regulated firearms transfer on a 77r.

Your bank will likely notarize it for free.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Indeed, hopefully it won't take too long to get this rolling.

Also nice Tokarev, I really wanted to get one when Classic was selling them, just didn't have the HQL at the time.

You don't need an HQL for a 50+ year old Tokarev, just a C&R from the ATF. Classic has some Radom P-64s in stock. Just imagine a Walther PPK that was made in Poland. I'm sure that you can find some Toks on Gun Broker.

Jul 1, 2012
    You don't need an HQL for a 50+ year old Tokarev, just a C&R from the ATF. Classic has some Radom P-64s in stock. Just imagine a Walther PPK that was made in Poland. I'm sure that you can find some Toks on Gun Broker.

You don't need an HQL in any case to get a C&R eligible handgun - C&R pistols are exempt from the HQL
    (still need to do the 77e and transfer via FFL-01 though if you don't have the FFL-03).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom