• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Look up the IDPA website. Lots of good information there. Also, look at Anne Arundel Fish and Game. They have IDPA matches there. You'll have to attend their safety course before you can shoot. Find out when the next one is and sign up. There are a couple other places that do IDPA around here, but I am not familiar with them.

Good luck.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I second Anne arundel f&g. They have matches every Saturday and a lot of Fridays as well. Open to non members as well. I've only been twice so far. Once for a safety brief, and one qualifier match. It's a bit of a hike for me, but lots of fun.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    As title states, I'd like to try IDPA. I have several pistols, 9mm .40 and .45. I shoot my best with a Taurus pt92 9mm. I have no holster or experience with one. All my shooting has been stationary standing and shooting at paper.

Where do I start? Go and watch a match? What do I practice?

I'm looking at this holster, good choice? http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?products_id=146710#.Vt4sX5wrLIU
    Help

Bladetech is an excellent choice for IDPA. You might want to consider this option that also includes magazine pouches for just a little more cost:
    http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?products_id=6846#.Vt4991srKJc

Get comfortable using your holster for drawing and holstering one-handed. Also practice reloading. Use a concealment garment. Both can be done dry-fire only. There are lots of videos to show you how to do both. You will also need some snap-caps or dummy rounds to practice reloads fully.

I recommend you contact AAFG and attend their new shooter's orientation. Here is their link: http://www.aafgidpa.com/admin/match_admin.html

Here is link to the IDPA rules (way more than you need to know, but you should read the sections on safety rules, shooting rules and equipment rules for the gun type you plan to shoot): http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Anybody know how long the new shooter class at AAFG is? Would like to do it this Sat. but have to be somewhere at one.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    As title states, I'd like to try IDPA. I have several pistols, 9mm .40 and .45. I shoot my best with a Taurus pt92 9mm. I have no holster or experience with one. All my shooting has been stationary standing and shooting at paper.

Where do I start? Go and watch a match? What do I practice?

I'm looking at this holster, good choice? http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?products_id=146710#.Vt4sX5wrLIU

Help

You start at a range...seriously, find out where they're hosted and sign up...you can practice if you like, but as long as you can safely draw and fire you can just use IDPA as practice...

Bladetech- love em, def recommend, all my holsters are bladetech

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Anybody know how long the new shooter class at AAFG is? Would like to do it this Sat. but have to be somewhere at one.

About 4 hours. I just did it last month and we didn't finish until after the actual match had wrapped up.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well, the website says one hour. I have not participated yet, so go with the Subaru mini van guy.

Hardy Har har:lol:

That's subaru minivan wagonista to you, bub. :D

Seriously though. It's not just one hour. I did the safety brief in january. Gryphon did it a couple years ago. In both instances it is several hours long. It takes up the entire time of the match.
    You spend the first 30mins going through the same safety brief as the participants and reviewing some of the stages . Then you head up to thethe Cub house for about 1.5hrs where they go over rules and safety for the n00bs. Then you go back down to the range and do about 1.5hr of dry fire practice with different obstacles. I suppose the total time for the final part would depend on how many new people are in the safety brief doing the practice. In my case there were 7 so it took a while. If it was 2 or 3 then it would go faster.
    I got there at 9am and we didn't wrap up til after 1 and the actual shoot was over and they were cleaning up around us.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    You want a quality belt for your holster and mag holder. My last is a blackhawk which I do like. very heavy duty. For Holster and mag holders (2 mag model) I am a blade tech guy. You will need several mags. I carry at least 10 in the competition bag. Get a good quality mag loader like uplula. Loading hundreds of rounds can get to you. Electronic earmuffs. Howard Leight impact pros are a good value. Won't be able to hear commands well with conventional muffs.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I would probably start a little more low-key. I actually suggest you go watch a match. Before you go buy a holster or any of the other gear, or sign up for a safety course, take your eye & ear protection and just go watch a match. You can go watch at AAF&G (movig target practice on the 12th, Classifier on March 26), or Thurmont Conservation & Sportsmen's Club (TCSC - next match is March 15), or at the Frederick IWLA (next match is March 19). Watching in person is very different than watching youtube video's, and once you've seen it in person, watching video's will mean much more to you. And once you think you're ready for the next step, PM Chasbo00 for information on a great IDPA skills course at TCSC.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I would probably start a little more low-key. I actually suggest you go watch a match. Before you go buy a holster or any of the other gear, or sign up for a safety course, take your eye & ear protection and just go watch a match. You can go watch at AAF&G (movig target practice on the 12th, Classifier on March 26), or Thurmont Conservation & Sportsmen's Club (TCSC - next match is March 15), or at the Frederick IWLA (next match is March 19). Watching in person is very different than watching youtube video's, and once you've seen it in person, watching video's will mean much more to you. And once you think you're ready for the next step, PM Chasbo00 for information on a great IDPA skills course at TCSC.

yup!:thumbsup:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    There is an IDPA match at Peacemaker at the end of this month. I'm really hoping to make it. I'd be happy to take you as my guest and help you through your first match. All you need is a holster, a mag pouch, and the ability to pay attention to detail. IDPA has a bunch of rules that you will learn as you go, but as long as you are safe you will have a great time. Keep your finger off the trigger and watch the 180 and everyone will be happy.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    I run blade tech holsters and kytex mag carriers

http://www.kytexgear.com

But don't get caught up with gear! Get out and watch a match without participating if you want to get a feel for it ahead of time.

Have fun, make friends and be safe!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Its really not that big of a deal. I had never done it before and I jumped right in. My first match was a qualifier and I ended up finishing in the top 1/3. I just made sure to let the RO know it was my first time so I was lower down the order and could observe the first few shooters.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

This ^^^^^. Chasbo00 runs a great class and you will come out of it ready for your first match without feeling like "that new guy".

Everyone I've met at these matches has been super friendly and willing to help, clarify a rule, make you feel welcome, etc... just a great bunch of folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom