• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock>1911

Jul 8, 2014
    Hi guys and gals,

I am moving into the state from CA and was wondering what I need to do to be legal or if there are any specific laws I should know about.

Here's what I will be bringing in:
    1. Glock 17 Gen 3
    2. Glock 23 Gen 3
    3. Ruger 10/22

I know there's some handgun safety class I have to take to buy/sell any new handguns, anyone have any more info on this or where I can take the course? Going to be living in the Laurel area so any info on good local shops would be awesome as well.

Also, what's the deal with AR-15s and the like? Moving out of Cali, I'm looking to get into 3-gun so I was wondering what loopholes I need to jump through to make it all work. Finally, and info on local USPSA/IDPA clubs would be awesome.

-Pete

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Check the rules, current military and x military shorten the process. I was going to say you can remove your Ca AR mag button but you may not be allowed to keep it unless its an HBAR, AR's 5.56 were I believe are on the ban list.

From the fire to the frying pan; welcome

Welcome to the forum!

Since you did not list an AR-15 among the firearms you are bringing into the state I will assume you want to purchase one when you come to Maryland. The only AR-15s you can purchase in Maryland now must have a heavy barrel aka HBAR. For example, the Colt LE6920 is no longer legal to purchase, but the Colt AR6721 still is.

Last edited:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Hi guys and gals,

I am moving into the state from CA and was wondering what I need to do to be legal or if there are any specific laws I should know about.

Here's what I will be bringing in:
    1. Glock 17 Gen 3
    2. Glock 23 Gen 3
    3. Ruger 10/22

I know there's some handgun safety class I have to take to buy/sell any new handguns, anyone have any more info on this or where I can take the course? Going to be living in the Laurel area so any info on good local shops would be awesome as well.

Also, what's the deal with AR-15s and the like? Moving out of Cali, I'm looking to get into 3-gun so I was wondering what loopholes I need to jump through to make it all work. Finally, and info on local USPSA/IDPA clubs would be awesome.

-Pete

Like others have already stated, an AR-15 with a heavy barrel is still legal. Fill out a federal form, and you're good to go. No other BS required.

With a little research, you'll discover there's still some pretty cool stuff you can legally buy.

Go to surrounding free states to get normal capacity magazines. It's legal to bring them in.

I'd check out Engage Armament and 2A Sales. They're Industry Partners on the forum.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Greetings fellow SoCal-er

I moved here almost three years ago from Long Beach. Firearm-wise it is ABOUT as bad as Kommiefornia and the weather is worse. Welcome to Mary-effing-land.

I assume you were on CalGuns.org previous to this. Sadly MDShooters does not have the easy to read flow charts regarding legality(but the members are just as friendly, so thats good).

The good news: There is a LOT less gray area regarding full-capacity mag. They are absolutely legal to own, possess and use here. You will just have to buy them out of state. (Sadly interwebz retailers wont ship here either. Not sure about rebuild kits)
    My suggestion would be to stop at a REAL Freestate on your way across country and stock up on hi-cap mag for your Glocks. (BTW, you will quickly learn that Marylanders call this place "Freestate", I can only assume it is tongue-in-cheek).

There is no bullet button sillyness required here for semi-auto centerfire rifles.

You can own suppressors, SBRs, SBSs and transferable machineguns here.

The bad news:
    In some ways Marylandistan is worse than the southland regarding firearm ownership:

In CA you can carry an unloaded handgun locked in your car with loaded magazines for any legal purpose, here you must be on your way to the range, a gunsmith, dog training, or a shooting event.

Maryland has just recently outlawed damn near every type of mag-fed semi-auto rifle INCLUDING M1As. Yep, you can buy an M1a in California, but not Maryland. The only exception to this is SUPPOSEDLY heavy barrel ARs are still legal to purchase here. Not sure about AR pistols.

You will become intimately familiar with new and exciting way to keep your firearms from rusting. They have a thing called humidity here. At least you own Glocks so it is LESS of an issue. People like me, however, have to put rust preventative on stainless guns to keep them from rusting.

In general, it seems that here in Maryland there is less of a movement for firearm owners to work around the law (e.g. bullet buttons, rebuild kits, fast open safes in cars etc) It was just a feeling I get and is purely subjective.

The state taxes are about the same(high). The cost of living is about the same(high). The average wage, however, is much lower. The drivers and roads are worse. Most of the LEOs are even LESS knowledgeable about firearms laws than in CA. Did I mention the weather? It was 92 degrees two hours ago. Now it is pouring rain. They havent figured out how to stabilize the power grid yet (apparently if you have electricity by some company called "Pepco", a strong fart will cause a power outage). They salt the roads during the winter so if you have a nice car now, you wont in a couple years. Oh, and garages apparently haven't been invented here yet. There is no state disability so dont get hurt so much you have to miss work. If you liked the laid back attitude of people in Cali you are in for a rude awakening here. If you have ever spent any time in L.A. you will recognize the entitled attitude (the farther away you get from DC and Baltimore, the better it gets, tho). Maryland obviously takes its lessons from New York regarding uptightness (especially DC). Speaking of DC, dont take guns there. Just dont. EVERYTHING is illegal in DC. It is basically New York with a slightly less irritating accent. (ok, technically you can get a permit to own a firearm in DC. I hear the fees include a 10 year wait, a body cavity search with a happy ending, and sacrificing a virgin.). Oh, and the beaches suck here.

But, hey, gas is $.20/gal cheaper here.
    And a speeding ticket for doing 75 in a 55 here is only $250 instead of $900.
    And there are more trees.

Again, welcome to Maryland, bud.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Greetings fellow SoCal-er

I moved here almost three years ago from Long Beach. Firearm-wise it is ABOUT as bad as Kommiefornia and the weather is worse. Welcome to Mary-effing-land.

I assume you were on CalGuns.org previous to this. Sadly MDShooters does not have the easy to read flow charts regarding legality(but the members are just as friendly, so thats good).

The good news: There is a LOT less gray area regarding full-capacity mag. They are absolutely legal to own, possess and use here. You will just have to buy them out of state. (Sadly interwebz retailers wont ship here either. Not sure about rebuild kits)
    My suggestion would be to stop at a REAL Freestate on your way across country and stock up on hi-cap mag for your Glocks. (BTW, you will quickly learn that Marylanders call this place "Freestate", I can only assume it is tongue-in-cheek).

There is no bullet button sillyness required here for semi-auto centerfire rifles.

You can own suppressors, SBRs, SBSs and transferable machineguns here.

The bad news:
    In some ways Marylandistan is worse than the southland regarding firearm ownership:

In CA you can carry an unloaded handgun locked in your car with loaded magazines for any legal purpose, here you must be on your way to the range, a gunsmith, dog training, or a shooting event.

Maryland has just recently outlawed damn near every type of mag-fed semi-auto rifle INCLUDING M1As. Yep, you can buy an M1a in California, but not Maryland. The only exception to this is SUPPOSEDLY heavy barrel ARs are still legal to purchase here. Not sure about AR pistols.

You will become intimately familiar with new and exciting way to keep your firearms from rusting. They have a thing called humidity here. At least you own Glocks so it is LESS of an issue. People like me, however, have to put rust preventative on stainless guns to keep them from rusting.

In general, it seems that here in Maryland there is less of a movement for firearm owners to work around the law (e.g. bullet buttons, rebuild kits, fast open safes in cars etc) It was just a feeling I get and is purely subjective.

The state taxes are about the same(high). The cost of living is about the same(high). The average wage, however, is much lower. The drivers and roads are worse. Most of the LEOs are even LESS knowledgeable about firearms laws than in CA. Did I mention the weather? It was 92 degrees two hours ago. Now it is pouring rain. They havent figured out how to stabilize the power grid yet (apparently if you have electricity by some company called "Pepco", a strong fart will cause a power outage). They salt the roads during the winter so if you have a nice car now, you wont in a couple years. Oh, and garages apparently haven't been invented here yet. There is no state disability so dont get hurt so much you have to miss work. If you liked the laid back attitude of people in Cali you are in for a rude awakening here. If you have ever spent any time in L.A. you will recognize the entitled attitude (the farther away you get from DC and Baltimore, the better it gets, tho). Maryland obviously takes its lessons from New York regarding uptightness (especially DC). Speaking of DC, dont take guns there. Just dont. EVERYTHING is illegal in DC. It is basically New York with a slightly less irritating accent. (ok, technically you can get a permit to own a firearm in DC. I hear the fees include a 10 year wait, a body cavity search with a happy ending, and sacrificing a virgin.). Oh, and the beaches suck here.

But, hey, gas is $.20/gal cheaper here.
    And a speeding ticket for doing 75 in a 55 here is only $250 instead of $900.
    And there are more trees.

Again, welcome to Maryland, bud.

I've visited California, but I've been a Maryland resident my whole. I'd just to say you're spot-on.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Funny stuff, there, Boats! That should probably be a sticky.

-Pete

To buy any more modern handguns, you will need the Handgun Qualification License (HQL). Since you already own a handgun, you do not have to take the training. You still need to be fingerprinted like a criminal, of course.

You don't need the HQL to buy a C&R eligible handgun. There is an exemption check-off on the new Form 77r (Maryland handgun purchase form) for C&R handguns.

If you owned an AR 15 before 10/1/13, you can bring it in. Otherwise, I recommend you buy at least one HBAR as soon as possible. Shooters Discount, Duffys, Engage, 2-A Sales & Supply, and many other dealers listed in the Industry Partner section of MdShooters can hook you up.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun: Check out Thurmont Conservation and Sportsmans Club, Anne Arundel Fish and Game, York Isaac Walton, and Peacemaker.

One great thing about Maryland: it is so small you're never more than a one hour drive from the state line. Laurel is almost as bad as it gets (in many ways: why Laurel???), but you can be in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, or West-by-God-Virginia in no time flat. But as Boats warned you, stay out of D.C.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Welcome!
    I too originally came from California. Northridge.
    Anyway, I assume you will be buying AR lowers before you move in for future builds.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome from the Park.

Your turn in, my turn out.

Enjoy your stay. Your new mate Boats (who shows promise) pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I'm sure you'll make the most of it... Get a Prius. The boys on here love em...

As for three gun, sorry, can't help.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Welcome, enjoy your stay. With any luck, our AG to be will turn MD into a more restrictive state than CA. He wants to make you feel right at home.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    @glock>1911… you're right down the road from me. I am in Highland. I have a membership at the Local gun range (AGC) so if you want to get together to pop off a couple rounds, hit me up. I will bring some stuff to shoot (sadly they are mostly Colt 1911s....which, by your screen name, aren't up to your standards but hopefully you won't hold it against me)
    Welcome, enjoy your stay. With any luck, our AG to be will turn MD into a more restrictive state than CA. He wants to make you feel right at home.

Funny. Sad, but funny. <sigh>
    If he didn't own the lowers before Oct 1, he can't bring them into MD.

Nothings illegal unless you get caught

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom