• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W3SJM

Sep 3, 2013
    Monrovia, MD
    Hey Guys,
    Scott here. I'm looking at getting my first handgun and I found this site. It'll be a new hobby for me and one that I, surprisingly, have full backing from the wife. Usually I get grief when I buy stuff for my other hobbies, but this hobby will get me out and interacting with people instead of working alone in the man cave.:)

Look forward to meeting some fellow shooting enthusiasts.

DEX

scruffy-lookin nerfherder
    Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Welcome to the forum! Browse and find a local IP on the sight. You can get tons of opinions online, but nothing beats going to a shop with a helpful clerk willing to let you handle several models and get you to that perfect fit.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Hi and Welcome.

If you want to avoid getting a handgun license to purchase one, find a dealer that will release 8 days after purchase and buy in the next week or so to beat the Oct deadline.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    nothing beats going to a shop with a helpful clerk willing to let you handle several models and get you to that perfect fit.

What he said. I thought I knew from the internet what I wanted in my first gun, and when I tried those options out I found out they weren't quite right. The sales guy showed me some other guns, and we found the right fit for my first handgun.

Welcome. Have fun. Stay safe.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    Greetings. As stated, get yourself to a good shop and ask questions. Don't be intimidated and don't be afraid to ask questions. And by all means, if wifey says it is ok, GET YOUR HANDGUN ASAP from a shop releasing in 8 days. Then watch videos on safety, cleaning, training, etc. and start practicing! Lots of great NRA classes offered by IP's on this site.

Good luck!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy.

www.marylandshallissue.org

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Make sure you have completed your safety training at www.mdgunsafety.com then you can buy up to 2 at one time before oct 1st if finances permit

You can purchase two handguns, but you will have to wait 30 days after picking up the first one which will take you beyond 1 OCT to pick up the second one. At that point you will need a Handgun Qualification License to receive what you purchased in September. As long as you pick up the first one before 1 OCT, you will not need an HQL for that one.

I would encourage you though to at least purchase one and take possession before 1 OCT. That will alleviate you of the requirement to take the mandatory training as part of the HQL application.

Welcome to the forum.

IANAL. I only play one on TV.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    You can purchase two handguns, but you will have to wait 30 days after picking up the first one which will take you beyond 1 OCT to pick up the second one. At that point you will need a Handgun Qualification License to receive what you purchased in September. As long as you pick up the first one before 1 OCT, you will not need an HQL for that one.

I would encourage you though to at least purchase one and take possession before 1 OCT. That will alleviate you of the requirement to take the mandatory training as part of the HQL application.

Welcome to the forum.

IANAL. I only play one on TV.

My understanding has been you can purchase 2 at once, and receive 2 at once, but would be disqualified for 60 days, of course I'm talking about the law as it applies prior to Oct 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom