• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    First, some background info: My dad bought me a .22 rifle 10 years ago because he wanted me to learn how to shoot. Up until today that was pretty much all I had experience with (save the occasional shot on some kind stranger's firearm at the range).

I'd been debating what to get as my second rifle for nearly the past year. Two weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Remington 700 5R (milspec) chambered in .308 Win. I got a nice 4-14.5x40 Leupold Mark 4 scope to go along with it. Needless to say, I really blew my budget on this one (I originally wanted to spend no more than $700! Hah!), but screw it. I know myself well enough to know that when I really want something, I should just go ahead and get it, instead of trying to save money on something cheaper, then getting dissatisfied with it, and ultimately spending more in the long run.

And because I know you guys well enough by now, I know if I don't provide a photo you'll all just ask for one and possibly post some unpleasant images in the interim, so here it is:

So I took the Remington 700 5R to Cresap today (nice to meet you tacman!) and had an absolute blast with. First, I should preface this post by saying that up until today I had never shot a rifle chambered in anything but .22 LR, and I had never even used a scope before, so keep that in mind.

Recoil on a .308 is, unsurprisingly enough, a tiny bit more than on a .22 LR. The anticipation of the recoil more than anything else was what kept screwing me up. I could keep my scope well-aligned enough with the bulls-eye, but my actual trigger squeeze just wasn't up to par. I definitely need more practice on that. And I realized I need to wear more layers or get a shooting jacket for next time, because my shoulder is kind of sore. This was never a problem with the .22, obviously.

So, during the entire course of the day, I put about 50 rounds downrange. Most of that was cheap Russian ammo, but the last 7 was -- and I'll just quote from the website here -- ".308 Winchester American Eagle Centerfire Rifle Cartridge, 150-Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Bullet, 2820 fps". So it was decent, but it still wasn't the 168 or 170 gr ammo that my rifle is supposed to love. Soon I'll start getting the good stuff.

Anyway, here's the last target that I shot (at 100 yards). Ignoring the one "flyer" it's about a 2 MOA grouping. This rifle and scope should theoretically be capable of 1/2 MOA shooting, so, eh, chalk it up to user inexperience. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll at least be doing this rifle some justice and have some really clean targets to brag about on here.

Oh, and big thanks to the RSO at Cresap who helped me sight in my scope. I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing. His patient assistance, even after I messed up the zeroing the first time, was very helpful. Sorry I didn't get your name though!

Last edited:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Were you shooting from the bench? Get yourself a nice bipod and bag for the rear. Anticipation will kill you.

I'd suggest getting some good factory ammo, ie Federal Gold Medal, Fioccha Exact Match, Hornaday Match, M188LR, but until you get "rock solid" in the scope, spending money on pricey factory ammo will be a waste.

BTW...I have an identical setup, just with a Harris Bipod up front. I'm still learning...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25796

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Were you shooting from the bench? Get yourself a nice bipod and bag for the rear. Anticipation will kill you.

I'd suggest getting some good factory ammo, ie Federal Gold Medal, Fioccha Exact Match, Hornaday Match, M188LR, but until you get "rock solid" in the scope, spending money on pricey factory ammo will be a waste.

BTW...I have an identical setup, just with a Harris Bipod up front. I'm still learning...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25796

Yeah, I was shooting from stacked sandbags on the bench. A bipod is definitely on my "to get very soon" list. Do you have any specific recommendations? The Harris? I'm going to the Dulles Expo gun show next Friday and a bipod was on my list of things to look for.

That's cool that we have nearly identical setups (including the exact same scope, assuming you have the mildot reticle). Too bad I forgot to take the turrets off the scope for the picture; it looks better with them off. And I'm trying to keep my 5R as stock as possible, but I'm thinking I may want to have a gunsmith lighten up the trigger or something.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Nice rifle, and that taget is sweet! First time shooting with glass, and on a rifle with a "tad" more punch than a .22, and still a 2 inch group? Dude you're well on your way to shooting out the nice red center...

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Nice rig!

...I'd suggest getting some good factory ammo, ie Federal Gold Medal, Fioccha Exact Match, Hornaday Match, M188LR, but until you get "rock solid" in the scope, spending money on pricey factory ammo will be a waste....
    Agreed. Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) in 168s is usually the ticket with these, and many other, rifles. The ammo you are using is really not suited for accuracy trials, and I'd bet you will pleasantly surprise yourself with the right sort of match ammo.

Where are you located? You could get involved in long range down at Quantico, at Bridgeville or any number of other places and use the rifle to have a lot of fun.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Where are you located? You could get involved in long range down at Quantico, at Bridgeville or any number of other places and use the rifle to have a lot of fun.

I'm located in Silver Spring, which is roughly equidistant between Quantico and Cresap (well, maybe Frederick is a tad closer). But I'd love to come out to Quantico some time and shoot at longer ranges. I just need to practice a bit more at 100 yards to nail down my shooting technique and get some better ammo.

Speaking of which, I was entirely optimistic today and brought all 340 rounds of .308 ammo that I purchased. I shot about a sixth of it. Clearly I underestimated the effect that shooting the .308 was going to have on me. On the plus side, I still have a lot of the cheap stuff left to get good on before I start shooting the better stuff.

Oh, and I saved my brass from the American Eagle rounds, because reloading is inevitably something that I'll get into (one of my coworkers has a full setup; I'd just need to buy a .308 die for it).

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Oh, and my dad got a chance on the 5R today and loved it. He trained on an M-14 while in the Army in the late 60s, but hasn't fired anything of that caliber since then. He says it all came back to him when he was shooting my rifle. This was his first experience with glass as well -- even though he had to hit torso-sized targets at 450 yards to qualify for Marksman back in basic training. Now that sounds pretty hard to do with just iron sights.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm located in Silver Spring, which is roughly equidistant between Quantico and Cresap (well, maybe Frederick is a tad closer). But I'd love to come out to Quantico some time and shoot at longer ranges. I just need to practice a bit more at 100 yards to nail down my shooting technique and get some better ammo.
    When you get ready to experiment with long range, watch for Prospector's threads on shoots at Quantico. If I'm shooting down there that day, I'll try to give you a hand with it, and there are any number of other guys here on the forum that shoot the Modified F-Class matches who would help you too.
    Speaking of which, I was entirely optimistic today and brought all 340 rounds of .308 ammo that I purchased. I shot about a sixth of it. Clearly I underestimated the effect that shooting the .308 was going to have on me. On the plus side, I still have a lot of the cheap stuff left to get good on before I start shooting the better stuff.
    When you do get match ammo for it, be sure to start with a **completely** clean bore.
    Oh, and I saved my brass from the American Eagle rounds, because reloading is inevitably something that I'll get into (one of my coworkers has a full setup; I'd just need to buy a .308 die for it).
    Good idea to have your own dies set for your rifle. Handloading for the .308 is very straightforward and very good results are normally easy to get, so with the money saved over time, it's well worth it.
    ...even though he had to hit torso-sized targets at 450 yards to qualify for Marksman back in basic training. Now that sounds pretty hard to do with just iron sights.
    It IS a challenge. The standard torso target is roughly 24" across, so at 450 yards, it is approximately equal by scale to hitting a 5-1/4" target at 100 yards, PLUS wind complications and ammo deviation.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That Russian ammo won't do you any good. I've shot some Brown Bear and it made my groups grow by almost 4". I can hold my .308 S&W 1500 around 1.5", should be able to get better once I tailor a load for it.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    That Russian ammo won't do you any good. I've shot some Brown Bear and it made my groups grow by almost 4". I can hold my .308 S&W 1500 around 1.5", should be able to get better once I tailor a load for it.

Yup, Brown Bear and Silver Bear is the Russian ammo that I've been using. Any idea what the difference is? I know that the Silver Bear is slightly more expensive, but that's about it. As to accuracy, I have no idea. I don't have enough confidence yet in my own shooting abilities to be able to blame any miss on the ammo.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Too bad the color of the scope doesn't really match the stock.

Fortunately enough, that's not something I'm going to have to worry about until they come up with some proof that color-coordinating your rifle improves accuracy. :P

I would like to suggest Black Hills Win Match 168 grain. Besides reloads, that's all I use through my 700. Definitely get a bipod. I use a Harris, light as a feather. Clean your bore every shot for a while to break it in. I did it for the first hundred rounds in my Shilen stainless and still clean it after a ten round mag.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Congrats on your rifle!

I second what others have said about the ammo.

For a bipod: I suggest a Harris 6-9" notchleg, swivel:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html
    go ahead and get the pod-loc now:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Pod-Loc.html
    I made my own from a couple tube socks and some airsoft pellets, but get a rear bag:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html
    and if you are like most of us, you would benefit from this:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Shooter-s-Stock-Pack-Rifle.html

There. I just spent 160 of your hard-earned dollars.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Congrats on your rifle!

I second what others have said about the ammo.

For a bipod: I suggest a Harris 6-9" notchleg, swivel:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html
    go ahead and get the pod-loc now:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Pod-Loc.html
    I made my own from a couple tube socks and some airsoft pellets, but get a rear bag:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Red-Tac-Gear-Rear-Bag.html
    and if you are like most of us, you would benefit from this:
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Shooter-s-Stock-Pack-Rifle.html

There. I just spent 160 of your hard-earned dollars.

Are there lots of different Harris bipods or are they all the same? I see the 6-9" bipod listed on a bunch of different sites, but it seems like each site uses their own model numbering scheme and nobody just uses the part # of the manufacturer. So I can't tell if they're all the same thing. I see them variously described as ultralight, swivel, etc. Are these the same thing?

I hope to go to the Dulles Gun Show on Friday, so hopefully I can find a bunch of this stuff there.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    There are different ones, some that dont swivel and don't have the notch-legs. In the past, I havent seen many of these at the Dulles shows. You also arent likely find find it at a decent price.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice rifle; Good ammo will make that rifle sing. That Russian poo-poo shouldn't be in the same room as that rifle. Shooting some Federal Gold Metal Match will give you a much better idea of how it shoots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom