• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If you can't find any FGMM (Federal Gold Medal Match) near you, look for the new Hornady Superformance 178-grain offering.

I have yet to find a handload my 700-based custom likes, but it'll shoot the Superformance into very nice little groups, even when I'm fatigued and shooting poorly. ;)

bigreaper

May 28, 2009

Ditto on the pod-loc - it'll make the Harris bipod a ton more stable. I've had my 5R for about a year and love it. I had actually swapped out the H-S stock for a Knoxx Axiom for a while (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axiom-UL-Rifle-Stock,220,166.htm), but I want to keep shooting the Factory class IBS matches at Thurmont, so I just put the original stock back on. I'm using a Nikko-Stirling Nighteater 6-24x56 for the glass, which I think was less than $300 at the time. I was out at AGC this weekend and even with some 10-15 mph crosswinds, I was shooting around 1" groups @100 yards. With the right ammo and conditions, the 5R is easily capable of sub-MOA groups.

As far as ammo goes, you definitely want either 168 or 175gr. When ammo was ridiculously expensive last year, I was shooting the 168 and 175 Prvi (very cheap), but I find that to be relatively "dirty" and isn't very consistent. I bought a bunch of the Georgia Arms 168 and it's about one step below Federal GMM or Black Hills, but at about half the cost. They use mostly Federal and Lake City brass and it's been really nice and clean. Reminds me...need to order more...

Anyway, get the Harris and the pod-loc. I just started using the Caldwell Fire Control now, but still have my 6" and 9" Harris' (both with pod-locs). I'm also just using the Caldwell standard size rear bag, but might get something a little better. These can be pricey, but if you have the budget, you might look at something like the Edgewood bags: http://www.sinclairintl.com/prod_detail_list/Rear-Bags

I also agree about getting some kind of slip-on cheek pad. I can't remember what brand I have, but it's similar to what DZ linked. And to help save your shoulder a bit, you might want to get a Limbsaver recoil pad (medium): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VVJTA/ref=oss_product?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

Oh, and you can adjust the trigger pull yourself. There's a small screw on the inside of the trigger guard that you can loosen a bit. They say the 5R comes out of the box @ 3lbs, but I like mine a little lighter. Unfortunately, you can't go TOO light with it, since once you unscrew the screw far enough, it'll just fall out...

Ok, that's it. Welcome to the 5R club!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    If you can't find any FGMM (Federal Gold Medal Match) near you, look for the new Hornady Superformance 178-grain offering.

I have yet to find a handload my 700-based custom likes, but it'll shoot the Superformance into very nice little groups, even when I'm fatigued and shooting poorly. ;)

Just picked up a box of this superformance stuff to give a it a try. How does it shoot out of your rifle compared to FGMM 175's?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Haven't found any FGMM 175's to put out of it yet; when I finally got the rifle ready to roll, everyone was out of stock (even Dan at GC). I still have the target at home (I'll get a pic when I'm off work today) but I do believe it was somewhere around .6-ish? Better than I've been able to get out of 175-grain handloads, but at least I know the rifle will shoot. Just gotta play with it some more and figure out what it likes. I'm running everything .030" off right now; gonna do some more ladder stuff on Thursday and find out where pressure signs start, back it off a tad, then play with seating depth.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I assume you tried your 45.0gn Varget and 175 SMK, what did those targets look like?

For me, this load looked better then the FGGM; I was getting 0.5 MoA at 2750fps, even though my SD was a little high (14). CCI#200's, virgin Winchester brass; No pressure signs. The FGGM was slower (~2680, if I remember correctly.) 44.3gr of Varget looked nearly identical to the FGGM factory ammo.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Haven't found any FGMM 175's to put out of it yet; when I finally got the rifle ready to roll, everyone was out of stock (even Dan at GC). ....

The only place I've been able to reliably find FGMM 175 ($34/box) is here:
    http://usarmorment.com/ammunition-308-762x51-c-1_227.html

They also stock the M118LR ($24/box) which has done very good at 100yds and is cheaper than the FGMM 175.

FGMM 168 can be had at CheaperthanDirt for about $24/box as well.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For me, this load looked better then the FGGM; I was getting 0.5 MoA at 2750fps, even though my SD was a little high (14). CCI#200's, virgin Winchester brass; No pressure signs. The FGGM was slower (~2680, if I remember correctly.) 44.3gr of Varget looked nearly identical to the FGGM factory ammo.
    I'd expect your SD to drop a little with another .2 to .4 grains. As you approach the center of your OCW zone, everything should stabilize. From what I saw of your targets Saturday, you are just getting into the bottom end of the sweet spot.
    The only place I've been able to reliably find FGMM 175 ($34/box) is here:
    http://usarmorment.com/ammunition-308-762x51-c-1_227.html
    Rory at USArmorment is good people.
    They also stock the M118LR ($24/box) which has done very good at 100yds and is cheaper than the FGMM 175.
    Other than a weird lot or two last year (during a brass supplier changeover), the American Ballistics M118LR has been a great performer at long range for me. I find long range accuracy to be on par with FGMM 175s, and Jim's brass is better to handload than Federal.
    FGMM 168 can be had at CheaperthanDirt for about $24/box as well.
    That's a pretty good price. :thumbsup:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I won't shop at cheaperthandirt ever again, after the gouging they engaged in post-election. F those guys, and the horses they rode in on.

As for my handloads, best I seem to be doing is right at 1-1.25" @ 100.

This rifle should be shooting better than that.

Gonna try 155 AMAX and 208 AMAX next.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Oh, and you can adjust the trigger pull yourself. There's a small screw on the inside of the trigger guard that you can loosen a bit. They say the 5R comes out of the box @ 3lbs, but I like mine a little lighter. Unfortunately, you can't go TOO light with it, since once you unscrew the screw far enough, it'll just fall out...

Ok, that's it. Welcome to the 5R club!

You may also find out (as I and several others did) that the X-mark trigger can be self adjusting and randomly switch from 3 lbs to 8 lbs, and then decide to not engage at all, dropping the firing pin as soon as you close the action.:sad20:

I highly recommend the Jewel triggers- there goes another $200 of your hard earned dollars. Just glad I could help...:D

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I'd expect your SD to drop a little with another .2 to .4 grains. As you approach the center of your OCW zone, everything should stabilize. From what I saw of your targets Saturday, you are just getting into the bottom end of the sweet spot.

Yeah, more testing is on my agenda. I loaded up 100 at 45.0gr for next Sunday, but after that, I'll take the next few weeks to go just a touch higher and see if I can get tighter in the sweet spot.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    things like steel european surplus AK mags listed as "Regular Price: $45 (crossed out, of course)....Sale Price: $29.95 each! YOU SAVE $15.05 each!!"

crap like that.

they did the same with wolf 7.62x39mm, boxes of 20 being advertised as "regular price" around $25/box and "sale price" around $12/box.

there was a LOT of drama on arfcom about it, and if i'm not mistaken their vendor forum was actually shut down for quite a while due to some folks "voicing their disappointment" (in true arfcom fashion) about their business practices.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    You may also find out (as I and several others did) that the X-mark trigger can be self adjusting and randomly switch from 3 lbs to 8 lbs, and then decide to not engage at all, dropping the firing pin as soon as you close the action.:sad20:

I highly recommend the Jewel triggers- there goes another $200 of your hard earned dollars. Just glad I could help...:D
    Dave, from what I was told Remington got this squared away, so hopefully this particular rifle doesnt have the neato independently-adjustable trigger that we had. But yes, the Jewell is teets.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Wow that's a good price on FGMM. I have three boxes now, but maybe it makes sense to load up.

And getting back to the original discussion, I ordered a Harris bipod that arrives tomorrow (but I'll be out of town through the weekend). I'll take a picture and post it here once everything is completely assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom