Mar 4, 2013
    My approach when in person with any legislator or person of influence:

1. Catch the person's attention
    2. Greet them with as much of a smile and eye contact as I can muster
    3. Say "Hi" plus their title + name
    4. Hold my hand out for a shake if in a position to do so
    5. State my question or comment
    6. Discuss, time allowing: keep goals in mind, be as concise as possible
    7. Polite goodbye, often with reminder about the most important point.
    While I have nearly nothing politically in common with my MGA legislators (Sen. Guzzone, Dels. Pendergrass, Atterbeary, Terrasa), I follow the above formula every time. Sometimes I get the handshake. I don't think Sen. Guzzone likes to talk to people who are common folk outside of the political class. (Decode: I don't think he likes me very much.) Just my impression going back to when he was my delegate.

Personally, I prefer the Inigo Montoya model of civil discourse.

hello-my-name-is-inigo-montova-you-killed-my-father-35515416.png

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Oh sweet baby Jesus, the MOMs are having a fit on FB and Twitter. Which one of you is Dirt McKrahling on Facebook?

I have a mutual friend of Dirt. Not sure who he is though. I have to laugh though. The mutual friend is not one to mince words. I went to their page on FB but I can only see what they make public. I can't see anything outside of their billboard "we did a great job" posts. How can you see the gory details? They are patting themselves on the back over nothing! Absolutely NOTHING!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a mutual friend of Dirt. Not sure who he is though. I have to laugh though. The mutual friend is not one to mince words. I went to their page on FB but I can only see what they make public. I can't see anything outside of their billboard "we did a great job" posts. How can you see the gory details? They are patting themselves on the back over nothing! Absolutely NOTHING!
    Check Shannon Watts' Twitter feed from yesterday for a tweet in which she refers to MD gun owners. It's the civility thread, so I'm not posting a screenshot, but fair to say the combination of the legislative losses and a particular image triggered her.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Check Shannon Watts' Twitter feed from yesterday for a tweet in which she refers to MD gun owners. It's the civility thread, so I'm not posting a screenshot, but fair to say the combination of the legislative losses and a particular image triggered her.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I searched through her twitter and didn’t see it. Where’s all the fun?
    Never mind, I found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    The lulz were also epic the day that they arrogantly came in and put reserved stickers on all of the chairs in the hearing room. I went over to the trooper managing the room and asked if they could do that and he replied "No".

Damn, I was there that day and remember it well. The looks on their faces when they returned to the room were priceless. Definitely worth the price of admission! :lol2:

Sometimes I think back to my first trip to Annapolis way back in 2005, the year after the federal "assault" weapons ban expired and Maryland (especially Frosh) wanted desperately to pass it's own. While it may seem to many here that fighting is a lost cause because we always lose, all I can say is that if folks in the past had not been there to fight the fight, we would already have laws mandating micro-stamping, serialized ammunition, a much, much smaller roster of approved handguns, a ban on "assault" weapons, and a host of other infringements. We may have lost ground in some areas, but we have prevented the complete demolition of the 2A in Maryland.

People tend to forget that Maryland is an outlier in so many ways. We are a small state with a deeply embedded political machine and due to the proximity of the Federal Government, we have a very transient population with most people only living in the state 5-8 years before they move on. It is only those few of us who have been here for their whole lives (or a large portion of it) that see the deterioration of our state and our freedoms. The transients move in, see things as they exist at that point in history, and just assume that this is they way it has always been here. They are typically too busy raising and caring for their families to notice the changes that occur while here, and then they are gone. Getting involved in the politics of this state is just not something that is even on their radar.

While I have been absent from Annapolis these last few years due to family health issues, I made the journey, multiple times each year from 2005 through 2015 and I continued to write and call since then. Even with all of that involvement, I had never heard about MDShooters until I was sitting in a hearing room in 2013 next to a forum member who asked me for my user name, and I didn't know what he was talking about. Prior to that all of my activism was with members of my home shooting club. It's why I'm a '13er, and not an 05'er I suppose, but it was fantastic to learn that there was much, much, larger group involved in this battle than just my little collective and I have continued to spread the word.

In all of that, I have learned that Civility, even in the most daunting and frustrating of situations, has a much higher chance of success than confrontation. While we are as a group very passionate in our beliefs, allowing our frustration at the falsehoods and misrepresentations in our opponents testimony to cause us loose our civility just plays into their hands. They point to us and say that it shows we are capable of "loosing our self control" and further that "Who knows what might have happened if they had a gun!"

While there are certainly legislators who are passionately opposed to all guns and their owners, it has been my experience that for the vast majority of them they are simply ignorant of the entire subject matter. They rely on information fed to them from their party leaders, or their staff who often get their information from the party leaders. That is all they know, and usually they are so busy during the session, it's all they have time to know. Finding ways to educate them during the "off-season" would likely have the biggest impact on the process, but that is something outside my bailiwick.

I want to again thank all of those who committed so much of their time, energy, and effort this year to the fight. Your presence was felt, not only in Annapolis, but around the Nation, if not the World after the NZ incident. The fact that no major new gun bills were passed this year in Maryland, especially after the Capitol Gazette and the NZ Incidents, is a testament to the resolve of everyone involved.

Hand Clap.jpg

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I read some of that, Jeez! They are a delusional bunch.

Leftists are all delusional, they fear that they can’t control themselves and their delusional thinking so they want to be restricted and they want everyone else to be restricted also because they think everyone else is scared to death of their own shadows so in their minds everyone needs to be restrained by the government by having restrictions put on everyone. It’s why they wang gun control in any and all possible forms such as UBC’s and LGQL’s

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I have found there is a pattern when talking to the Moms , and I have talked to a few over the years . They always start off with " my husband or father or someone in the family own guns" or grew up around guns . It is always the same talk . And they don't hate guns just want "common sense gun laws" it happened yesterday

Yeah, they are trying to build common ground or at least the illusion of common ground.

The comparison would be instead of just going up to them and rattling off facts about the rarity of school shootings, talking about your own kids first for a bit.

I really think the first side that can successfully marry emotion and logic is going to win because while the majority of people do not operate based purely on emotion, humans are not robots either.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Imagine if someone made a shirt that looks like an MDA shirt that read;

We
    Will Not
    Comply

Same color, same font.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Leftists are all delusional, they fear that they can’t control themselves and their delusional thinking so they want to be restricted and they want everyone else to be restricted also because they think everyone else is scared to death of their own shadows so in their minds everyone needs to be restrained by the government by having restrictions put on everyone. It’s why they wang gun control in any and all possible forms such as UBC’s and LGQL’s

Well aware of your first statement. Just stating the obvious. I heard a statement on the radio this morning that is appropriate. “The left hates the idea that there are ideas other than their own.”

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Interesting set of responses. Many are blaming Zirkin.

I find it ironic that they're getting behind the "Fight Like a Mother" slogan (i.e. "advocacy of use of force/violence") in their opposition to "gun violence."

The thing I hate the most if that they give NRA credit for everything other people do. They need to STOP that.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Imagine if someone made a shirt that looks like an MDA shirt that read;

We
    Will Not
    Comply

Same color, same font.

I thought about that, but then I think that on longer distance optics, pictures etc. we could be misconstrued by media trickery to be in lockstep with the AstroTurf.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom