• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Linthicum makes a good point. Many service rifles were sporterized throughout the 20th century and it was an accepted and common practice at the time. Even in the 50s and 60s Enfields and other rifles were still being sporterized commercially and by indviduals. The P14 & P17 Enfields were so popular as hunting rifles after WWI that Remington continued to manufacture a modified version as their model 30, building over 30,000 of them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't know if I would call the M1917 inelegant. It's just big boned and beefy.

The only thing I don't like about them is the cock-on-closing design. Very British.

Took a bit to get used to.

I'm just having some fun and indulging myself in being opinionated. I have several Mausers and Mauser-patterns, including 1903s and a 1917. The '17 is the heaviest, clumsiest, and most unwieldy of the lot.

The cock-on-closing is common to all the pre-98 Mausers, including the version the British committee was so ludicrously attempting to improve.

People joke about design by committees and their sometimes absurd inefficiencies. To me, the perfect example of how a committee can screw up a good thing is afforded by a side-by-side comparison between an 1893 Spanish Mauser and a Pattern 14 Enfield.

DesignByCommittee.jpg

quote_265.jpg

design.jpg

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    The Americans began to have doubts about their Krag rifles and decided they must rearm with a Mauser.

Funny you should mention a Krag.

He has (had) one of those, too. But unfortunately, I've been told (haven't seen it myself) that he had the barrel cut down for hunting because it kept getting hung up in the bushes.

Another darned shame.
    :(

Thanks for all the other information too!

This thread has been very educational for me.
    :thumbsup:

As a side note, this man was also an old hunting buddy of my dad.

I'm sure he, my dad, my grandfather, and two of my uncles are now making up for lost time.
    :)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    This gun was prolly done up by Century Arms during the 90's as they acquired some P-14's in ratty condition then built a cheap "sporter" on the action.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yup. I think it looks like a commercial bubbafication, rather than something done by a practical-minded Bubba trying to put food on the table.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    This gun was prolly done up by Century Arms during the 90's as they acquired some P-14's in ratty condition then built a cheap "sporter" on the action.

Yup. I think it looks like a commercial bubbafication, rather than something done by a practical-minded Bubba trying to put food on the table.

Century did do a bunch of these back in the early 90's. As a matter of fact, in the first or second Crocodile Dundee movies one of the bad guys had one in the movie, a Century Centurion P-14 sporter.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Next time you see what looks like a sporterized model 1917 don't be too hasty. These were so popular that Remington built a version called the model 30. It was for all intents a factory sporterized model 1917. Actually collectable.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Century did do a bunch of these back in the early 90's. As a matter of fact, in the first or second Crocodile Dundee movies one of the bad guys had one in the movie, a Century Centurion P-14 sporter.

Sounds like Bannerman for Enfields

My quick google-fu says many Century P-14s are .300 win mag, interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom