• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    I'm Chronographing my new lot today in two different barrel lengths and pistol types. I will get brass pictures after running them.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    That's a lot of case not supported, I'd say that's the problem. I wouldn't recommend shooting hot ammo through that gun.

I have no trouble shooting 1400 fps with a 125 gr bullet(175 PF) in my G17 but my barrel supports a lot more of the case than yours.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Mh, those stick out quite some ways. All the bulged cases you have in your original post conform to the contour of that unsupported portion. No big mystery here.

Looks like this ammo is just not right for that particular gun.

What he ^^^ said.

I'm Chronographing my new lot today in two different barrel lengths and pistol types. I will get brass pictures after running them.

Also let us know what type of pistols you're using that ZQ1 in. I bought 1200 rounds of it a few months ago to feed my Geelock 17 for a few range trips.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Mh, those stick out quite some ways. All the bulged cases you have in your original post conform to the contour of that unsupported portion. No big mystery here.

Looks like this ammo is just not right for that particular gun.

Go and look again at the fired cases, The bulge tapers but there is at lease 1/8th of a inch bulge around the top half of the fired cartridge, Not just the bottom unsupported half.
    The pistol firing out of battery with that ammunition. In order for the fired cases to bulge around the top half the cartridge has to be unsupported when firing.

Has anyone noticed that Chad gave his professional opinion and has not posted again here ?

I would get a set of go and no-go gauges and check the chamber of that barrel. The chamber could be tapered and with the OP saying its on the tight side of specs ( how do you know its on the tight side ? ) what happens when some ammo is on the large end of specs ?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Magnum, Please take a picture of one of the cases that is bulged all the way around inside the barrel and post it.
    Along with a picture of the top half of the chamber with the barrel upside down, has the top of the chamber been dished out like the bottom unsupported part ?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Go and look again at the fired cases, The bulge tapers but there is at lease 1/8th of a inch bulge around the top half of the fired cartridge, Not just the bottom unsupported half.
    The pistol firing out of battery with that ammunition. In order for the fired cases to bulge around the top half the cartridge has to be unsupported when firing.

Has anyone noticed that Chad gave his professional opinion and has not posted again here ?

I would get a set of go and no-go gauges and check the chamber of that barrel. The chamber could be tapered and with the OP saying its on the tight side of specs ( how do you know its on the tight side ? ) what happens when some ammo is on the large end of specs ?

I just went back and reviewed the pics after reading your two posts and from what I can see (as per my 42" HD monitor) the bulged cases appear to be bulged most of the way around conforming to the unsupported area of the barrel and very little, if any bulge at all, at the portion that would have been at the top of the chamber. Look closely again at the pics in post #1, the bulged sides are illuminated quite well and the "almost to no bulged" sections are sorta' in the dark and not easily visible.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

All I have is 'paint' to make my point. The little rulers just show the bulge relative to the 1.7mm width of the extractor groove. This barrel doesn't support the case all the way around. During firing, the round backs a bit against the breechface as well accounting for the additional .5mm or that the bulge is wider than the unsupported portion.
    I would also check whether the locking lugs are in the right position.

Attachments

• barrel_edited.JPG
      barrel_edited.JPG
      22.3 KB · Views: 297
    • ZQ1_edited.jpg
      ZQ1_edited.jpg
      54.4 KB · Views: 297

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I just went back and reviewed the pics after reading your two posts and from what I can see (as per my 42" HD monitor) the bulged cases appear to be bulged most of the way around conforming to the unsupported area of the barrel and very little, if any bulge at all, at the portion that would have been at the top of the chamber. Look closely again at the pics in post #1, the bulged sides are illuminated quite well and the "almost to no bulged" sections are sorta' in the dark and not easily visible.

Ok, you have a much better viewing area that me.. in the OP the fourth picture from the top. The pic has three cases in it.
    The middle case that touches the case on the left, on your big screen is that case just blown out on the bottom Lou or all the way around. That is the case that caught my eye. But I am looking at a phone screen not a Jumbotron.

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Here is the test guns used both times (white box and new colored box).

10659414_755349437836424_2431208693230063270_n.jpg

Here is the March data when I tested the white box:

http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-ammo/zq1-9mm-124gr-fmj-nato-load-made-in-turkey/

Here is today's test of the new colored box:

http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-ammo/9mm-federal-115gr-(aluminum-cased)-zqi-123gr-nato/new/#new

This is outstanding ammo! It has the pop and as you can see I was within 3 FPS out of both guns at different times using two different boxes. Do not hesitate to buy it! :party29:

Here are the pictures of the brass from today. The XD is on the left and Limited on the right:

10701944_755349451169756_8788343569894808869_n.jpg

10665265_755349467836421_2213085149551209582_n.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Ok, you have a much better viewing area that me.. in the OP the fourth picture from the top. The pic has three cases in it.
    The middle case that touches the case on the left, on your big screen is that case just blown out on the bottom Lou or all the way around. That is the case that caught my eye. But I am looking at a phone screen not a Jumbotron.

Of you take a close look at the fifth pic (the one below that you mentioned) in post #1, it shows a small portion of the fired case (just one case in that pic) that was apparently very near the 12 oclock position in the chamber. There is almost, if not, no bulge at all on the (as per pic) left side of the case whereas the remainder of the case shows the bulge conforming to the unsupported area of the chamber.

Based on what I am able to see in the pics, without seeing a few good pics of one of the bulged cases inserted and how it fits into the chamber, and with the Winchester brass NOT bulging, the problem seems to be not with the gun being fired OOB, but a gun and ammo compatibility problem. My thinking with this whole thread is that the ZQ1 loads are too hot for that gun with that much of an unsupported chamber.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    If that's what you see on the Jumbotron I would believe what you say Lou. Maybe someone was a little aggressive with a dremel tool ?. Like you, I would like to see a pic or two of a few of the blown out cases in the barrel and see if was all the way chambered when it was fired. Coop

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Of you take a close look at the fifth pic (the one below that you mentioned) in post #1, it shows a small portion of the fired case (just one case in that pic) that was apparently very near the 12 oclock position in the chamber. There is almost, if not, no bulge at all on the (as per pic) left side of the case whereas the remainder of the case shows the bulge conforming to the unsupported area of the chamber.

Based on what I am able to see in the pics, without seeing a few good pics of one of the bulged cases inserted and how it fits into the chamber, and with the Winchester brass NOT bulging, the problem seems to be not with the gun being fired OOB, but a gun and ammo compatibility problem. My thinking with this whole thread is that the ZQ1 loads are too hot for that gun with that much of an unsupported chamber.

Jumbotron.:lol2::D

Check the second pic in the last quoted post below, that's the casing I'm referring to; look at left side that's sorta' in the dark and there's almost, or no bulge at all. Again, I fully agree with you we'd like to see a few pics of the bulged cases inserted into the chamber; that would/should tell the complete story.
    EDIT: The pic didn't post with the quote so go back to post #69 and look closely at the second pic. Hopefully you'll see jus' what I'm talking 'bout.

If that's what you see on the Jumbotron I would believe what you say Lou. Maybe someone was a little aggressive with a dremel tool ?. Like you, I would like to see a pic or two of a few of the blown out cases in the barrel and see if was all the way chambered when it was fired. Coop

All I have is 'paint' to make my point. The little rulers just show the bulge relative to the 1.7mm width of the extractor groove. This barrel doesn't support the case all the way around. During firing, the round backs a bit against the breechface as well accounting for the additional .5mm or that the bulge is wider than the unsupported portion.
    I would also check whether the locking lugs are in the right position.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Not a lot of mystery here. ZQI is hotter than other target ammo, so the cases bulge with them where not supported, but not with lower pressure stuff. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the OP fires some 124+p loads. If the 124+p loads don't show a similar bulge, then that would suggest ZQI brass is just thinner/weaker than other manufacturers. I'll keep shooting it out of the m&p and p99, as they both support the brass very well and have gotten some great groups with this.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    That sounds prudent, The pistol bulges cases with nato pressure ammo so let's just shoot ammo that's 2000 psi higher and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom