• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xoticbass

Feb 16, 2011
    Well, I guess I've been warned that these things multiply...

A Walther P1 from AIM was my first purchase, and I was impressed right out of the box and especially at the range.

So, I had to bite when Dan's Ammo (a real nice guy with great stuff) listed what appeared to be post-war P38s. It just arrived today, and I've taken it apart and everything looks nearly new - especially the bore. I'm very happy with it and Dan's excellent service, but I wanted to poll the audience here and ask if anyone could help me identify some of the markings.

It seems like it might've been a "mix-master" based on the serial # being ground off the slide, but the numbers that remain intact match up with the frame. What *did* they grind off, then, if not the serial #? And why is the frame serial so much longer?

How about the marks to the left of the date? And why the heck did PW Arms electropencil over the last digit of the date? (I'm guessing that's a "6", making the date 3/66...)

What about the marks on the front of the barrel assembly, or those on the underside of the locking block? The top one looks like it could be an eagle.

Any ideas?

P38 from Dan 024.jpg

P38 from Dan 008.jpg

P38 from Dan 023.jpg

P38 from Dan 014.jpg

P38 from Dan 005.jpg

Attachments

• P38 from Dan 004.jpg
      P38 from Dan 004.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 331

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Congrats, they are cool pistols.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I do not know the post war markings because things got a bit crazy post war for P38/P1s for obvious reasons. This might be a better place to ask:
    http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/classics/

FWIW I would gladly jam an electropencil up the butt of the guy that though it would be a good idea to record the importers name on the frame of historically interesting firearms.

Nice thread title BTW:lol:
    New C&R! Zee German

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Great pictures and nice clean gun, good work.

Just did a quick google on the P38 & P1, what is the main difference between the two?

I swear they used the same picture for both of the pistols, thanks.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    FWIW I would gladly jam an electropencil up the butt of the guy that though it would be a good idea to record the importers name on the frame of historically interesting firearms.

That would be the director of the ATF as they dictate all aspects of importers markings. Years ago many importers would place their marks on the frame under the grips and in other inconspicuous places to the delight of collectors. Then the ATF modified their rules and demanded larger marks to be placed in conspicuous places. I positively loath the new "billboard" markings. They can be legally removed by purchasers (as long as the SN is left intact) but obviously that doesn't do much for the finish!

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    OP, the eagle markings look like German acceptance stamps. Very similiar to what was done to their military firearms for years. They are basically quality control stamps.

I see what looks to be a BW right above the trigger, but it's hard to make out. If it is BW, that could stand for Bundeswehr (West and later unified German armed forces).

Based on my limited knowledge, I think you did get a mix-master as the slide looks like an early slide mated to a later frame. The later slides had the cocking serrations (sp?) extended further up the slide. This may be a legimate mix-master though as the Bundeswehr re-arsenaled some of their guns.

Is there a serial number on the barrel? It would be on lower portion that slides into the frame.

Additional information here:
    http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/classics/11268-p-38-p1.html

Check out post 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom