• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Got a question, on the MSP website it says AK 47 All Forms, that being said and noted the M77/M2010 has a kalashnikov bolt action, which is inherent to the "AK 47"

Somehow that would make this a Banned Firearm in this State of Maryland...

If I am WRONG , Please be specific in your analysis of how this passes the WIPE TEST?

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Got a question, on the MSP website it says AK 47 All Forms, that being said and noted the M77/M2010 has a kalashnikov bolt action, which is inherent to the "AK 47"

If I am WRONG , Please be specific in your analysis of how this passes the WIPE TEST?
    They are legal people need to stop asking....:sad20: and not the M77 bolt can not interchange with a AKM bolt

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    They are legal people need to stop asking....:sad20: and not the M77 bolt can not interchange with a AKM bolt

Isn't this FORUM just for that purpose...or is to spread mis-information?:mad:

How are you to be informed if you DON'T ask?

I was informed by a qualified individual pointing out the reference to my previous comment...

So this leads me to believe that there is some contention instead of cooperation between quantified information...:shrug:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

My understanding is, it cannot swap parts with an AK, does not have pistol grip, flash hider, or bayonet. Not in a military configuration, it is a sporter rifle, thus making it legalish in the terms highlighted in the MSP 96-1 bulletin from years ago. Kinda like how a heavy barrel AR15 is ok, but a light profile barrel is super dangerous and scary. It looks like an AK, works similar to an AK, but it is not an AK. Kinda like if the MVA banned Trans Ams, you could just get a Camaro. The MSP 96-1 bulletin stated that if the rifle was in it's original, imported SPORTER configuration, it would not be regulated by the state. Saigas, Veprs, M77s, and even Norincos if the were still importable. Rifles like WASRs, Tantals, and such, that accept military mags, have bayo lugs, flash hiders, pistol grips, etc.., are more evil. Makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    TheGunnyRet said:
    Isn't this FORUM just for that purpose...or is to spread mis-information?

How are you to be informed if you DON'T ask?

I was informed by a qualified individual pointing out the reference to my previous comment...

So this leads me to believe that there is some contention instead of cooperation between quantified information...

Precisely, don't hide in the shadows.

That's not the problem... it all boils down to what MSP defines as an "AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOV SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE IN ANY FORMAT".

If they specify that the Avtomat Kalashnikov is only applying to rifles in the size format associated with the AK-47 (e.g. 7.62x39 and 5.45x39) and not other rifle actions which differ significantly in regards to the bolt weight, size, travel etc. then yes, I can see where the M77 is legal. This is a sticky area and the wrong wording could be used to reach an inaccurate conclusion. This is an "assault weapons ban" and not intended to affect full size rifle rounds, regardless of design.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    m77 is great, but the saiga has chromed bore which may or may not be a good thing depending on if you want to really milk the accuracy.

I have an original yugo barrel that was melonited sitting around for a build that never got done, I gotta think that would be the way to go here.

Press out the barrel and have it nitrided and pressed back in.

In case you can't tell I've really got a hard on for salt bath nitriding. With the case depths and processes of today, it blows chrome away and leaves the barrel shooting as well or better than it did before, accuracy and velocity wise

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    I noticed that my standard Belarus made AK mounts do not work on this M77. There is a rear wall to the rail groove that stops the mount before it slides forward enough to stabilize & lock; I have quick release type mounts. Can anyone recommend an optic mount that will firmly fit this rifle's rail and center a picatinny/weaver rail inline with the barrel?

WRATHCHILD

Dec 24, 2014
    The UTG sidemount that is not QD ( 3 screws to tighten ) will work. The QD version is shorter and would have to be modded, and it still wont hold up to the pounding. For the price you cant beat it. Its the only UTG sidemount I will use. So far everything has held up fine.

Attachments

• 20150120_084720.jpg
      20150120_084720.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 133

WRATHCHILD

Dec 24, 2014
    Your other option is the mod shown to QD mount in pic. Notice how much longer the UTG mount is where it attaches to rail. You really have to lock em up tight because there is no stop in rear of siderail after you dremel it off.

Attachments

• 20150120_090731.jpg
      20150120_090731.jpg
      91.1 KB · Views: 136

WRATHCHILD

Dec 24, 2014
    Here it is. I will let you know how well it holds up at range. Maybe Sirex can break it in for me.

Attachments

• 20150120_091944.jpg
      20150120_091944.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 129
    • 20150120_092019.jpg
      20150120_092019.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 138

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Sorry Sam, did not intend to hi-jack. I just recently rcvd my M77; my first 7.62x51. I'm at the beginning of the learning curve. Thanks for all the info. I'm beginning to check out, on youtube, a poster named ginsboy. He shows step by step how he takes a M77 and "converts" back to military configuration. This includes adapting M14 mags for the M77. I've done one mag and am having some success. I have no intention of "converting" for now; I need to learn more about 722 law. I hate the factory stock, it just plain hurts my cheek bone! Does the 3-screw UTG mount need to be removed to remove the dust cover?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    BTW, after thinking about it some, there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the AK action and the M77. The fact is that one uses a rimless cartridge and the other uses a rimmed cartridge (talk about the importance of technicalities). Obviously, the rimless 7.62x39 is inherently more evil than the peace loving 7.62x54R round used only by civilians seeking world peace and reproductive rights.

OOPS, Edit, the M77 is in .308?!? Well, I am so confused now. Ahhh, I get it, the receiver specifications are different... :) 1.5mm vs 1.1mm?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom