Your First gun---either as a kid or an adult?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfm

Sep 5, 2010
    My first gun was a Mossberg 352, .22 semi auto. I bought it in 1960 from the Hackettstown, N.J Sports Shop for $38.00 I just bought a new Simmons 22 Mag for it and cant wait to try it a Myrtle Grove.

My dad bought me a Stevens single shot 410 when I was 5. He cut off about half of the stock so that I could hold it up to my shoulder and still reach the trigger. We would shoot every weekend in the back pasture using paper plates as targets, (good times). Prior to my first hunting trip, I was around 8, he took out my papaws Winchester Model 42 410 pump to let me get used to so that I could shoot my first squirrel with it as he had. I still have both and if ever I decide to procreate I will do the same with my young un.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Daisy Red Rider was my first ever gun. Then a few years later my father passed down a .22 that my grndfather bought for him when he was a kid. Its a revolution 150m that was bought at western auto supply.

Bense

Jun 14, 2008
    Was a Walter P-38. My boy friend at the time (now husband) gave it to me as a high school graduation gift. Still have it and it shoots great!

omalon

Aug 9, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    First gun was a Daisy Red Ryder 1949 age 7 and a JC Higgin Model 31 with 4x scope 1954 age 12. Still have the Model 31 with many rounds fired over the years. I remember firing 25 shorts in less than a minute at a bucket filled with water. Barrel would get HOT......

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Started off when I was 12 with a Mossberg 500 field combo. Still use it today, my dad gave it to me for christmas 10 years ago, its something ill pass down to my kids for sure.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    First gun: When I was 10 years old my dad told me I could have my own rifle when I completed my hunters safety course. I took it at Baltimore County Fish and Game. When I had completed the classroom stuff he pulled an old Cooey Arms bolt action repeater out of the attic. It had been my maternal grandfathers when he was a geologist in Canada for the U.S. Department of the Interior many, many years ago. He had bought it to plink with. He told me of his adventures in Canada and relived the adventures he had with that gun in his hands.

First "New" Gun: I was 12 years old and I wanted an all-purpose shotgun because we lived in a shotgun county (deer hunting for non-hunters) and I had a budding interest in upland game hunting. I remember perusing hunting and gun magazines for about a year. I read reviews, compared prices, got my heart set on an 870. It didn't hurt that dad had one in his cruiser everyday. I remember pestering him excessively the summer before I actually got it. I think our whole vacation was me attempting to convince him it was time to get me one. I laid all my information out and told him what I really wanted. When he told me he thought the 870 was too expensive I was crushed.

When we returned home from vacation our neighber had an old Browning BPS he was selling for $100. It was sitting right in his garage one day when dad and I went to help him with something. I begged and pleaded with dad, but he wouldn't buy it. I thought I'd never get my shotgun. It wasn't long after I found a box in the rafters for an 870. When I asked him about it, he said it was an old box from a friends shotgun. I almost believed him, then he reminded me that 870's were a little too expensive. I was crushed again.

Christmas Eve was painful. I'd begged and pleaded. I even found a winchester 1200 that was way cheaper at kmart just a few weeks before Christmas. When I told dad about it he said he'd check it out. But in my heart I thought I'd have to wait another year before I realized my dream of owning a shotgun. I couldn't sleep the whole night. When we finally awoke I opened the smallest box first. It was a box of #8 shot 12ga rounds. I knew immediately what was in the biggest box. I don't think I have a fonder Christmas memory. I sat on the couch racking the slide for hours. I marveled over the craftsmanship of my new Remington 870. The bead blasted bluing. The perfect wood stock. My love of firearms was firmly established, more than ever, at that very time in my life.

When dad died I put her in the safe. I haven't shot her since. One day I will, but for now the memories are too painful. Every time that shotgun was in my hands dad was with me.

First "New" Gun I purchased at 18:
    I bought a Marlin 795 at dicks the same day I bought a Remington 700 sendero in .308 from BelAir Gun and Pawn. That little 795 still goes with me everywhere. I love that little gun. Still have the cheap chinese scope I had bought from Wendell at American Sportsman Supply when he was still open.

The sendero I unfortunately sold to raise money for my first house.

Ah the memories

I love guns. My experience with firearms has been about family, quality time, and life lessons. The memories they evoke and the comaraderie they foster helped shape me as a man, built lasting relationships, and showed me the importance of personal responsibility. Firearms have been a wholly enriching part of my life and I cherish all of it :)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    First "New" Gun: I was 12 years old and I wanted an all-purpose shotgun because we lived in a shotgun county (deer hunting for non-hunters) and I had a budding interest in upland game hunting. I remember perusing hunting and gun magazines for about a year. I read reviews, compared prices, got my heart set on an 870. It didn't hurt that dad had one in his cruiser everyday. I remember pestering him excessively the summer before I actually got it. I think our whole vacation was me attempting to convince him it was time to get me one. I laid all my information out and told him what I really wanted. When he told me he thought the 870 was too expensive I was crushed.

When we returned home from vacation our neighber had an old Browning BPS he was selling for $100. It was sitting right in his garage one day when dad and I went to help him with something. I begged and pleaded with dad, but he wouldn't buy it. I thought I'd never get my shotgun. It wasn't long after I found a box in the rafters for an 870. When I asked him about it, he said it was an old box from a friends shotgun. I almost believed him, then he reminded me that 870's were a little too expensive. I was crushed again.

Christmas Eve was painful. I'd begged and pleaded. I even found a winchester 1200 that was way cheaper at kmart just a few weeks before Christmas. When I told dad about it he said he'd check it out. But in my heart I thought I'd have to wait another year before I realized my dream of owning a shotgun. I couldn't sleep the whole night. When we finally awoke I opened the smallest box first. It was a box of #8 shot 12ga rounds. I knew immediately what was in the biggest box. I don't think I have a fonder Christmas memory. I sat on the couch racking the slide for hours. I marveled over the craftsmanship of my new Remington 870. The bead blasted bluing. The perfect wood stock. My love of firearms was firmly established, more than ever, at that very time in my life.

When dad died I put her in the safe. I haven't shot her since. One day I will, but for now the memories are too painful. Every time that shotgun was in my hands dad was with me.

This, my friend, is an awesome story. When you do take her out and shoot her, your dad will proudly be looking over your shoulder. :thumbsup:

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Thought this might be a good chance for all us up and coming old-timers to wax nostalgic on our first gun and the memories of it.....
    A .22Cal Target Rifle in 1964 so I could join the Target Team in High School.

Imagine, the School System encouraging Parents to buy their Children guns to bring to School, what a different Time.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom