• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Piney run reservoir is loaded with yellow perch. Charteuse jig heads tipped with a nightcrawler always works. Anchor up in front of the coves in about 15-20ft water and you can limit out pretty fast. Only thing that sucks is the fee to launch your boat there and the kayakers think they own the damn place. Ive had them paddle right in between me and the shore line while im bass fishing one idiot even got my line tangled in his paddle and had the nerve to act like it was my fault somehow.

How are you fishing those jigs? Dragging along the bottom. I have a bunch of chartreuse jig heads. Just the heads and a worm? Most of the perch I have caught were on a french spinner or rooster tails. Same thing works good on crappies. Best thing for crappie is just a hook and a minnow no weight fished near brush piles/downed trees. Caught my biggest crappie 17" last year on a piece of fresh water shrimp. Painted turtles seem to have a taste for the shrimps as well.

I had the same problem with a kayaker at the liberty boat ramp. Unfortunately for him, I had my 30lb catfish rig out, stopped him dead in the water

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    How are you fishing those jigs? Dragging along the bottom. I have a bunch of chartreuse jig heads. Just the heads and a worm? Most of the perch I have caught were on a french spinner or rooster tails. Same thing works good on crappies. Best thing for crappie is just a hook and a minnow no weight fished near brush piles/downed trees. Caught my biggest crappie 17" last year on a piece of fresh water shrimp. Painted turtles seem to have a taste for the shrimps as well.

I had the same problem with a kayaker at the liberty boat ramp. Unfortunately for him, I had my 30lb catfish rig out, stopped him dead in the water

I am using the road runner jigs that have the little spinnig blade on them. I cast them out and let them sink to the bottom if not strikes come on the fall I bounce em off the bottom all the way back to boat and repeat.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Have you had much luck with catfish at Liberty? I have heard there are some big one in there.

The potomac is the place to go for catfish. Upper potomac from whites ford to brunswick is loaded with nic sized channel cats or you can venture down just below DC and catch monster blue cats.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Have you had much luck with catfish at Liberty? I have heard there are some big one in there.

Check my post " good day at liberty" late October. Sucker swallowed a live crappie 20 to 25 pounder. I was in the paper for another 20 pounder around June. Probably more big cats than anything else.

I just had a 12 pack of road runners delivered today.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Check my post " good day at liberty" late October. Sucker swallowed a live crappie 20 to 25 pounder. I was in the paper for another 20 pounder around June. Probably more big cats than anything else.

Nice fish....by biggest was almost 11lbs from a farm pond.It ate a medium size bluegill.I was trying to see if I could catch the biggest bass in the pond.When it bit and took off I thought I had the biggest bass in Md lol.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    liberty certainly has some nice catfish but I still think for numbers of good size cats the potomac is hard to beat.Its not uncommon for us to have 30 fish days with all fish over 5lbs and most over 10 with a couple 20 plus. This guy ate a live bluegill that was 6" long.

Attachments

• IMG_14148322691729.jpeg
      IMG_14148322691729.jpeg
      33.3 KB · Views: 167
    kinda makes me wonder how the snakeheads are handleing it. I think this is the first good hard freeze the creeks got since they took off. They hibernate in the mud but wonder if it affected the bottom temps,

It gets WAY colder in Manchuria and Siberia (where the northern snakehead is native to) than here, and they do just fine there in a deep-freeze for 4 months a year.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    What about Allen's fresh? I was told Sunday morning the perch were hitting.
    Thats where i was! If they were hitting, it wasn't on minnows and shad darts. fished all around the powerlines and up past the last duck blind. The tide started coming back out so i didn't make it up to the bridges. I figuered i would pick atleast a few up in the hole at the choke but nothin.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Caught 3 dink largemouth saturday and that was it. Wind was blowing like hell and made it tough to feel fish take my jig. Water never got above 45deg before we left. This little 12" bass was the first of the year so it got its picture taken.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
      IMG_3699.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom