• ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    http://www.shootingwire.com/
    13+1 same mags as the standard XD meh I was hoping for more

New Springfield XD(M) Rolls Out

As we prepare for next week's National Rifle Association Annual Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina, we're starting to get a few previews into what new products consumers and the media can expect to see.

Shooting episodes of Guns & Gear for the fall television season has had me biting my lip because we've seen several new products to which we've been sworn to secrecy. Shooting TV shows months in advance means we're seeing prototypes of new gear, so we have to stay quiet.

Springfield Armory was one of those companies with a new gun on the set and under wraps. Last night, however, I got word that it was OK to talk about the newest member of their XD(M) family of polymer pistols.

Almost from the day the 9mm and .40 Cal models were first introduced two years ago - also at the NRA Show - the question has been asked "What about a .45?"

Springfield Armory's new XD(M) in .45ACP
    Next week, the new XD(M) 45 ACP will be rolled out to the general public for the first time.

If you're like me, you might have a hard time picking up the subtle differences between this gun and previous models. It took Springfield's Rob Leatham putting a 9mm side-by-side with the .45ACP for me to actually see the difference.

The new gun is larger - slightly- than the lower caliber models. "It's still the smallest frame 45ACP pistol out there," Leatham told me, "it's actually smaller than the XD-model in .45."

To get the sizing down, it appears the grip area has been slimmed down, but the grip angle remains the same- and the interchangeable backstraps mean you can change the profile of the grips to fit your hand size.

Like the other XD(M) models, this new 45ACP holds a bunch of rounds - with 13 in the magazine and one in the chamber, it's carrying fourteen rounds of .45ACP. Springfield has maintained commonality between their XD magazines in .45, so the XD model mags will work in the new model. "It's a good deal for shooters," Leatham told me, "I don't like it when a new gun means all new magazines."

The XD(M) 45ACP will ship with the same hard case, holster, mag pouch and other accessories as the rest of the line, meaning you won't have to go searching for a holster that fits. The polymer gear isn't the top of the line, but is certainly more than functional. I've been beating a set around for more than a year, and it appears to be none the worse for wear.

Initially, the finishes are limited to black or bi-tone. No word on green or earth finishes.
    The new guns will be available in either black melonite or bi-tone (black/stainless) finishes.

For the record, here are the dimensions as supplied by Springfield:

Caliber: 45ACP
    Magazines 2-13+1 Round, stainless steel (where permitted)
    Barrel: 4.5-inch Melonite, fully supported ramp
    Sights: Dovetail Front & Rear (Steel) 3-Dot
    Trigger Pull: 5.5-7.7 pounds
    Frame: Black Polymer
    Slide: Forged Steel
    Overall Length: 7.7 inches
    Height: 5.75 inches
    Weight: 31 ounces (with empty mag)
    Triple-position Picatinny rail for lights, lasers or other accessories

No word on when the gun will begin shipping.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    2019574.jpg

2019572.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    now bring on the 10mm:innocent0

13 is a good number, and about what I expected. The fact they use standard XD mags is nice. Any more than the capacity it has, and the grip would have to get wider, and / or longer, both would have been bad, and messed up the good feel of the pistol

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Bummer about only having 13 rounds. It might be a bit nicer, but why would I bother going from the XD .45 to the XD(m) .45 at this point?

You that bad of a shot you need more than 13 rounds of .45ACP in your magazine???? Remember, a handgun is a tool that let's you fight to a longarm.

I may take a look at this gun.

BTW, 7000 grain in a pound. 13+1 of .45 230 gr ball= 3220 grains of bullet material. I am not counting powder or casing. Add two spare mags, 13x2x 230= 5980 grains of bullets. That is some heavy ammo there.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    You that bad of a shot you need more than 13 rounds of .45ACP in your magazine???? Remember, a handgun is a tool that let's you fight to a longarm.

I may take a look at this gun.

BTW, 7000 grain in a pound. 13+1 of .45 230 gr ball= 3220 grains of bullet material. I am not counting powder or casing. Add two spare mags, 13x2x 230= 5980 grains of bullets. That is some heavy ammo there.

Well, if we assume a mag in the gun + 1 in the chamber, and then 2 spare mags on top of that, we're talking a total of 13 * 3 + 1 = 40 rounds. From google:

40 x 230 grain = 1.31428571 pounds

Of course, as previously stated, that's just lead. Definitely "heavy" firepower. If that doesn't do it, you probably shoulda had a long gun.

Ultimate Member
    wtf? I have four XD models in the big 3 calibers. Why didn't I just buy the XD(M)? The regular XD is now a thing of the past and will be discontinued.

Well that is good that I still have me lifetime warranty.

The XD-M's and other plastics seem pretty good.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Kinda dissapointed to be honest. I figurd more ammo and a bit more differance than the regular XD.

.45ACP is a big freakin round, and 13 of them is quite a lot. You're not going to fit any more rounds in a grip that size no matter what. As it is, I understand that the grip is actually slightly slimmer than the regular XD, while maintaining compatibility with the magazines, which I think is pretty impressive.

If you think a Glock 21 or an XD 45 is "chunky", try picking up an FNP-45, the only pistol I'm aware of that carries more .45ACP. It will redefine "chunky polymer pistol" for you. The FN looks great on paper but as soon as I picked one up... No thank you. And I do not have small hands - not monstrous either, but that's the only pistol I've ever picked up that had a grip that felt simply "too big."

A ~30 round .45 mag for the XD series a la G18 mags would be great, but I wouldn't have any desire to carry a pistol that fits more than 13 rounds in the grip itself. It starts getting kinda absurd beyond that point IMHO.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    wtf? I have four XD models in the big 3 calibers. Why didn't I just buy the XD(M)? The regular XD is now a thing of the past and will be discontinued.

Well that is good that I still have me lifetime warranty.

The XD-M's and other plastics seem pretty good.
    I have an XD and an XDm, personally I like my XD better.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I have an XD and an XDm, personally I like my XD better.

Really? Are both the same caliber? Any thing in particular you prefer about the XD over the XDm? I've got an XD45, but have lusted after the XDm .40 since it came out, with visions of .357 and 9mm conversion barrels.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Really? Are both the same caliber? Any thing in particular you prefer about the XD over the XDm? I've got an XD45, but have lusted after the XDm .40 since it came out, with visions of .357 and 9mm conversion barrels.
    XD is a 45 and the XDm is 9mm. My XD just fits my hand better. The way the XDms grip is it is harder for me to depress the grip safety reliably, the smallest backstrap helps me with this some. The XDm also feels like more of a "toy" to me where my XD feels more solid. All this is just my personal preferance tho. I love my XD 45 and won't be getting it in an XDm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom