• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    At the title says I am looking to buy an xd(m) in either a 9mm 3.8 compact or a .40 3.8 compact. I know this the 9mm, .40 debate has been discuss many times but I am most interested in people who have shot both a 9mm and a .40 in the same body gun and hopefully with the xd(m)'s that I'm looking for.

I used to have a glock 17 and wasn't very good with it so I decided to sell it and now I want to replace it with an xd(m) but I'm debating between on which one to get. It will be my primary HD pistol so I was thinking of bumping up to the .40 but I am concerned about the recoil/flip compared to the 9. Call me a wimp if you want but the G17 had just about as much kick as I wanted for a gun that I plan on practicing on a lot. I understand that as a smaller gun the xd(m) compact may have more which is another reason why I'm concerned about moving up to the .40 but to make matters more confusing I hear many say that to them the .40 feels more comfortable than a 9mm.

Before anyone tells me to shoot both personally and then decide... I can't because I don't have access to those guns. On Target (closest range with a decent rental selection) only has the xdm full size in 9 and in .45.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd go with the 9mm in your case, logic behind it - easier to manage in a compact frame, ammo cost - 9mm is just cheaper than .40 Short & Wimpy, at least in my experiences, and finally - you won't have to hear the jokes about owning a ghey caliber. :D

Best of luck in your quest.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    What about the people who say that the .40 is more comfortable to shoot than the 9? Its something that I haven't quite understood but people still claim in.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've shot both calibers in many diff't handguns, the .40 has never felt that comfortable to me (the lone exception being in a Beretta 96D), especially in the polymer frames - I'm no pansy about recoil, but something about the feel of a poly-framed .40's recoil just doesn't feel right to me.

The 9mm though, poly-frame or steel - full-size, compact - doesn't bother me, could shoot them all day if someone else was buying the ammo.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Before going with the .40 I would choose XDm .45 Compact (3.8 in.)

xdm45cmpct.jpg

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    I hear ya but 9/.40 just feels right in my hand. As for a .45 I wanted to see what the XDS felt like.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    .45 compact felt pretty good, in that case, also look at the M&P compacts - got the 4" M&P .45, love it.

XD's a nice gun also, but if I have the option of an american gun vs. a croatian built gun, I'll go with the american made - but that's just me.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    For compact guns, the 9 would get the nod for a newer shooter. The higher power .40 will recoil more and does cost more.

FYI - I shoot .40 over 9 !

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have the XD9 and the XDM 5.25 9mm. You are welcome to try them. I really like shooting my XD9 and XDM. They are very accurate. I prefer 9 mm; the ammo is less expensive, it has less little recoil, larger magazine. I just got my XDM 5.25 and really like the fiber optic sight and 3 - 19 round magazines.

I don't like the holsters that come with the Springfields.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have an Uncle Mikes, but also like the Bladetech. I rented a Bladetech at Front Sight, because the one that came with my XD was terrible. The Bladetech worked very well. I couldn't find one when I got home, but found an Uncle Mikes that was similar. I'm pretty happy with it. I will have to get one for my XDM 5.25, because it doesn't fit the one I bought for my XD9. Most of the distributors will list the guns the holster fits.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    If you'd like to shoot my XD .40 compact, I'll be at AGC tomorrow (Monday) morning around 10-12. I'll also have an XD(M) in 9mm, but it's the new 5.25" competition model. Both have Powder River Precision triggers. Please let me know if you're interested.

Ed

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Ed,

Did you special order the triggers or get them aftermarket? I'm used to the standard triggers, but would love to see the upgrades. I believe Bikebreath also customized his XDM trigger.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Ed,

Did you special order the triggers or get them aftermarket? I'm used to the standard triggers, but would love to see the upgrades. I believe Bikebreath also customized his XDM trigger.

Hi tball-

I got them online from Powder River Precision, and had gunsmiths install them (I know when I'm in over my head :rolleyes:). The most recent one was a Competition Trigger Kit for the 5.25", and John Carduner working out of Freestate did the work. His work is superb, and even though the trigger kits were 'supposed to be' drop in, John spent a bunch of extra time fitting and polishing for a perfect job.

I LOVE the PRP trigger kits (have them in all 3 of my Springfields) and can't recommend John's gunsmithing highly enough. He liked the 5.25" finished product so much, that he told me he went out and bought a Springfield for himself!

If my writing and photography skills were better, I'd try to write up a review for the trigger kits. About the best I can do right now is to say that they feel like polished glass, lubricated with silicone. Take up is a bunch less than stock, release is predictable and consistent (and light at about 3 lbs) and over travel is microscopic. Reset is very minimal, and overall the kit makes the pistol feel like a much more expensive high end custom unit.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If it's for home defense and range use why bother with a compact gun?

Look at full size guns if you arent interested in trying to carry the weapon.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you can't shoot a g17 well, you need LOTS more practice...it's not the gun. I'd go with the 9 for the following reasons:
    1) Cheaper- It'll allow you to practice more with a given amount of money. Better yet, it may allow you to save enough money on ammunition to pay for professional instruction. You should look into professional instruction anyway to save yourself time and money. Throwing lead downrange without someone correcting bad technique will just reinforce bad technique. Spend loot up front on someone to fix your grip, trigger press, sight alignment, breathing, stance and you'll develop as a shootr faster without blowing all that ammo in a futile attempt to get better.

2) No real difference ballistically- Going from 9 to 40 really won't do much in terminal ballistics for you. It'll give you a little less deflection through hard stuff and a .1" bigger hole, penetrating to the same distance. In real world, the difference is negligible and shot placement is much more important...thats where #1 on my list comes in.

3) more capacity- 3 more shots in each 9mm magazine. Less reloading at the range and more backups if your previous shots don't do anything in defense.

4) Control- 9mm doesn't kick. It snaps, but not that hard. 45 pushes, but doesn't really snap...40 pushes AND snaps. I can routinely shoot 9 and 45 faster than 40's.

Question to you. Why are you getting a 3.8 if it's for home defense? Yes, you can use the 19 rnd mag, but you'll still have a shorter sight radius and less barrel to get the bullet moving, making defensive loadings less potent and increasing odds they'll fail to expand. Why not just get a 4.5? it'll be much easier to shoot at the range and have more ass at home. If you're planning on carrying it, disregard...but if you're not planning on carrying it there's really no reason to give up velocity and sight radius.

oh, look here for alucard's walkthrough of the prp trigger job. He's a nerd, but occasionally posts useful stuff.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14076

may want to grab a m&p also. here's a writeup comparing the two.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=23142

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for all of the responses.
    At this point I think I have decided to stick with the 9. Even though it will be my primary HD pistol I am like the idea of the 3.8 compact because with the extended magazine I will have the full handle for the bedside and with the compact magazine I can have it on my person while at the house. I sometimes sell things through craigslist where coming to the house is the only option. I also like many here have my fingers crossed that one day this great state will actually give us the right to carry. If that happens then I already have a gun that can be concealed.

Before I buy anything I still plan on shooting a few different options, although I like the way the XD(m) looks and feels I also like the M&P so it will really come down to which one feels better while shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom