• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Just picked up a used Mossberg 500 yesterday and stripped it down tonight to give it a thorough cleaning. In doing so I noticed something odd. There was a wooden dowel with 2 o rings in the mag tube. I could hear something rattling around in there then when I was moving it the end of the dowel came out.

Why would this be in my magazine tube? Is it a DIY fix for something? Does it limit the magazine capacity?
    IMG_2213.jpg

Here is the gun:
    IMG_2212.jpg

For fun :D. I had to fight the dog for his toy:
    IMG_2211.jpg

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    plug for hunting. thats it. sounds like you got it out ok. trash it if you plan on not hunting with it or stash it away for later use.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Gotcha. Shotgun newb here. :o I guess for some reason when I heard magazine plug I thought of something wayyyy different.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    thats the Obama dowel. Shove it right up your behind until your eyes tear up and then you'll feel like a true amercian!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm not a hunter but could you explain what the plug/dowel is used for?

SJE:thumbsup::cool:

When you are limited by hunting regs to less rounds than your magazine can potentially hold you have to install some type of insert in your magazine that cannot be ejected.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Limit's the magazine capacity to 2 rds (1 in chamber) for DNR happiness. :)

mossplugs.JPG

They also work great for sticking in your Mosin to fire at the dog. (remember to remove before firing a real round) ;)

Last edited:

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    Thanks for the help guys. I kinda feel like and idiot now :o. It's just when I heard plug I was really thinking something totally different than a piece of wood and a couple o rings.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I'm not a hunter but could you explain what the plug/dowel is used for?

SJE:thumbsup::cool:

Waterfowl rules mandate the use of a shotgun with a maximum magazine capacity of 2 shells in addition to the one you've got in the chamber. Any shotgun with a larger mag must have a plug installed to limit the capacity, and the plug must require tools to install/remove it.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks for the help guys. I kinda feel like and idiot now :o. It's just when I heard plug I was really thinking something totally different than a piece of wood and a couple o rings.

You're not an idiot, when I think of a mag plug i'm not thinking a piece of wood either, lol.
    Had to remove one in my Beretta 391 when I bought it, but that one wasn't wood, heh.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    So I guess we don't know a lot about shotguns.....or read the owner's manual. Should be in there. This is basic stuff guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom