WTF... costs more to tag my camper than my TRUCK?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    Does anyone else have any info on these Maine trailer tags? I've looked at some of these companies that work on your behalf for a Maine tag. About $60 for a two year tag or $90 for a five year tag. Once you own a Maine tag do you then renew it online by yourself? I would hope so because these tags are only $43 to renew directly from Maine. Maine seems like a better deal and less hassle. Basically you save sales tax from Maryland and a $60 inspection, not to mention trying to drive the trailer back and forth from the inspector without plates.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    yea the mva registered my ford ranger with a 2.5L engine as a gvwr of over 7200 lbs. that means according to them I have a pay load cap of 1 ton. when I complained they said that register all trucks that way. at least I never get hit on being overloaded.

they did this to me too, when I got to virginia motor vehicles, they looked at my title, saw the gvwr and tried to give me truck plates.. I have a chevy colorado.. had to get a supervisor to fix it but it got done.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Put historic tags on my RV this year. got tired of paying $180/ 2 yrs for something that hardly leaves the driveway. I'm lucky it turned 20 years old last year.

If you get pulled over and they ask about having a passenger, you are going to a historic RV show. If you are hauling anything in it, that stuff is for the show. I used to work with some guys that loved to pull over historic vehicles for having passengers, hauling stuff, or the vehicle was not restored or "significantly" restored. It's similar to the Pontiac G8 tail light thing. (nothing better to do...)

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    If you get pulled over and they ask about having a passenger, you are going to a historic RV show. If you are hauling anything in it, that stuff is for the show. I used to work with some guys that loved to pull over historic vehicles for having passengers, hauling stuff, or the vehicle was not restored or "significantly" restored. It's similar to the Pontiac G8 tail light thing. (nothing better to do...)

Had the same deal years ago with my 67 Plymouth Belvedere. Had a town cop write me a ticket for driving on historic tags because he knew I was speeding but couldn't prove it. So he wrote me the only ticket he knew he could write. Took it to court and beat it. I simply pointed out where the law allows for occasional transportation and since the car rarely left my driveway that I was occasionally using it. The judge said in his 30 years on the bench he had never saw that ticket come through his court room and had to actually look the law up.

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    Look into Maine tags. They are cheap as dirt.

I'm sorry if this has already been said - I did not read the whole thread.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    There's a reason why more than half of all of the semi-trailers on the road are carrying Maine tags.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Luxury Tax compliments of the Democrats

Nein. Ven you aren't verking you aren't generating monies for zee state komrade. Ven za verker is recreating it is very bad for zee state. Therefore ve make it undisirable vor you to vant to buy, own, or even verse, use anyzing for za recreations.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    I titled my car trailer in Maine and im pretty sure the company told me that Maine doesnt allow out of state registration for rvs. Also Maine residents must pay the full msrp tax on a rv when titleing weather its new or old. Montana is the place to tag rvs all you need is to form a LLC threw Montana and its pretty cheap.

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    I titled my car trailer in Maine and im pretty sure the company told me that Maine doesnt allow out of state registration for rvs. Also Maine residents must pay the full msrp tax on a rv when titleing weather its new or old. Montana is the place to tag rvs all you need is to form a LLC threw Montana and its pretty cheap.

Hopefully by this time next year I won't have to worry about is as I should be a Montana resident. No inspection, no emissions.... just God's country. :party29:

64Post

Mar 30, 2010
    Millers Island, MD
    Since we're bitching about tag fees, it just cost us $900 to put Md. tags on an '06 Pathfinder. So instead of Md. calling it a sales tax ( which we already paid when we bought it in Denver), they call it an excise tax and proceed to bend you over. :mad54:

Last edited:

organized_mayhem

Legend in my own mind
    Since we're bitching about tag fees, it just cost us $900 to put Md. tags on an '06 Pathfinder. So instead of Md. calling it a sales tax ( which we already paid when we bought it in Denver), they call it an excise tax and precede to bend you over. :mad54:

I know a guy who came here from Alaska several years ago. They told him he would have to pay 2.5% of book for taxes when he called MVA about getting his truck tagged. When he showed up at MVA to tag it they told him that because Alaska had no sales taxes that he would have to pay a full 5% of book value for taxes.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    When I moved from IL, MD tried to charge me "sales tax" on both vehicles. I had to prove that I paid at least 6% sales tax. Had I only paid 3%, they figured I owed it to MD. SInce I paid well over 6% in IL, MD was gracious enough to charge me a $100 excise tax per vehicle, in addition to all the other fees associated with changing the title from IL to MD (which is even more BS), getting plates, and dont forget the inspection. It cost me over $1k just to move my vehicles here. That doesnt count the cost of licenses for my wife and me or the increase to my insurance rates.

64Post

Mar 30, 2010
    Millers Island, MD
    When I moved from IL, MD tried to charge me "sales tax" on both vehicles. I had to prove that I paid at least 6% sales tax. Had I only paid 3%, they figured I owed it to MD. SInce I paid well over 6% in IL, MD was gracious enough to charge me a $100 excise tax per vehicle, in addition to all the other fees associated with changing the title from IL to MD (which is even more BS), getting plates, and dont forget the inspection. It cost me over $1k just to move my vehicles here. That doesnt count the cost of licenses for my wife and me or the increase to my insurance rates.

How long ago was this? If that's the case I want some money back!!!

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I got hit with that BS too when I moved..

NY STATE tax is 4%.. but I paid NY City Tax at 8.675 on my $20k harley..

Maryland hit me for the 2% difference in state taxes... the state sucks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom