• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smacduff99

Feb 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    I was looking to avoid the restricted list and just bought a 16" Armalite heavy barrel M15.
    The rifle was $899 and I bought it through Accurate Pawn at the Chantilly gun show.
    I was looking for the Colt version of this rifle, but they are scarce and when I could find them, they were all in the $1300-1400 range.

A couple of selling points for me:
    1) Armalite lifetime warranty
    2) Cash and carry- I prefer to avoid the people's republic of Md when possible.
    3) Cache of Armalite brand and the quality of the rifle (subjective..it's not a Noveske or Colt)
    4) Price/value, I can buy lots of ammo, etc with the $400-500 I saved.

Lots of great choices mentioned here by other members.

Have fun and enjoy the hunt!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Of the ones you listed, far and away the M&P 15 Sport. It's a nice, quality platform to start with, backed by excellent S&W service and support.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    I own a DPMS. Don't do it. For $200 bucks more you can get a Colt. For the same price you could get a Spike's. DPMS bolts and barrels aren't tested to spec. Spikes and Colts are. Easy choice really.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Time for an update:

I'm going with the M&P 15 Sport; got a good price from Gun Connection in White Marsh, one of our industry partners here.

And I'm going to submit my designed collector and curio and relic applications this week.

I can't see me continuing to purchase at the pace I have been, but it will be nice to have the extra flexibility these two licenses will provide.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    A curio and relics license follow-up question on the subject of chief law enforcement officer.

Seeing as I live in Rockville, is the Rockville Chief of Police the CLEO for purposes of the C&R, or is it the Montgomery County Sheriff?

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    good choice going with the s&w! i just got there tactical model and i love it!

I handled it for a few moments when I was up at Gun Connection filing out the paperwork and putting $400 down on it.

It was TOUGH to hand it back over to them!

:mad54:

I wanted to bring it back home NOW!

:D

The 25th of the month can't come soon enough.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I handled it for a few moments when I was up at Gun Connection filing out the paperwork and putting $400 down on it.

It was TOUGH to hand it back over to them!

:mad54:

I wanted to bring it back home NOW!

:D

The 25th of the month can't come soon enough.

For the record. S&W M&P's aren't the greatest. They lack dustcovers and forward assists on their uppers. The FA is the easiest way to clear a malfunction involving punctured primers. Otherwise you must remove the stock and buffer tube from the rifle. And AR's to me just look goofy without dustcovers.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Yeah, I'm aware of the criticisms about the dustcover and forward assist.

But I figured it's probably a great intro into the world of AR-15s, and if I don't like it, I shouldn't have too much of a problem selling it -- especially if I make that decision before the election.

I'm eager to bring it home and get it on and find out.

:-)

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah, I'm aware of the criticisms about the dustcover and forward assist.

But I figured it's probably a great intro into the world of AR-15s, and if I don't like it, I shouldn't have too much of a problem selling it -- especially if I make that decision before the election.

I'm eager to bring it home and get it on and find out.

:-)

It is a great platform. If it where me I'd switch the upper for one with a dustcover and FA. Keep the same barrel, handguard, gas, and FSB. And just switch the upper.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    save up and get a Colt or BCM. Both are worth the extra couple of hundred bucks.

It is better to learn how to shoot the rifle and enjoy some quality range time, That is so much better than spending time and money trying to get an out of spec AR to work right. Then... you'll want accuracy.... Just save up, be patient and buy quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom