• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    wow what a horribly slanted article. also, wow to that guy being a CCW holder. what an *******. Too bad if anyone else had had a CCW they might have been able to stop him quicker. Terrible thing to have happened.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    I sent them a nice letter letting them know that the three stooges that wrote the article would not know a gun from their own ass. Pathetic piece of journalism. I sent them all the corrections. HMMM I wonder if I was too harsh.:lol:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Under current federal law, anyone over 18 years old can buy a semiautomatic assault rifle from a licensed gun dealer as long as the buyer passes a background check verifying that he or she isn't a convicted felon or mentally ill, among other things. Unlicensed dealers, such as those at gun shows, may sell semiautomatic assault rifles to anyone of any age without conducting a background check.

Are they really that stupid or just blatant liars? This "article" should be on the Brady website, not WSJ.:mad54:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Are they really that stupid or just blatant liars? This "article" should be on the Brady website, not WSJ.:mad54:

I was just about to quote the same thing... there's no such thing as an unlicensed dealer... if you're dealing in weapons you must be licensed AS a dealer by the ATF. And if you're buying enough guns to warrant dealing (i.e. dozens/hundreds of 4473s a month) the ATF will most likely investigate and put an end to your practices...

Ignorance is bliss. Once you know the facts, all this shit really starts to piss you off... :sad20:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    BTW, I just fired off this letter to the three authors of this article, since I didn't want to register to comment, and there's no way to "flag" or "report" the article. Let's see if they will correct it.

I just finished reading the article on "New Calls for Assault-Gun Ban" (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690314709013801.html) and I was appalled by one glaring false statement in this article: "Unlicensed dealers, such as those at gun shows, may sell semiautomatic assault rifles to anyone of any age without conducting a background check."

Unlicensed dealers are not authorized under federal law, and you would be hard-pressed to find one operating at a gun show. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) regulates the sale and trade of firearms at the federal level. If you had checked with the BATFE or gone to their website, the FIRST ITEM addressed in the FAQ section (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a1) outlines what may be federally regulated.

"(A1) Does the law regulate who can be in the business?

Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) of the Department of Justice, contains Federal licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers)."

Anyone who buys and sells firearms with the intent to make a profit is dealing in firearms, and therefore must acquire a Federal Firearms License in order to deal in firearms legally. Gun dealers who have a place of business may sell firearms at a gun show in their HOME STATE as an extension of their business, and must conduct the federally-mandated National Instant Check System (NICS) background check on any buyer of a long gun (rifle or shotgun) or handgun, IN ADDITION to any state laws and regulations. Private sellers (non-licensed citizen to non-licensed citizen) may sell a firearm to another citizen without a background check under federal law - but most states require a state-run background check for handguns, and sometimes for long guns.

If a non-licensed person (by BATFE regulations) is buying enough firearms, which would require a Federal Form 4473 for the NICS check for each one, to constitute dealing - the BATFE will investigate and prosecute them for dealing without a license.

The misinformation contained in your article will cause confusion among people who are not familiar with firearms laws and regulations, making it appear that reality is not in fact how things work. I hold a current Federal Firearms License as a collector of firearms and plan to become federally licensed as a gunsmith, dealer, and/or manufacturer of firearms, andI was surprised to see such a huge error in an article published by a seemingly reputable Journal.

Sincerely,

*smores*

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ...apparently single action revolvers, trap shotguns, and nerf guns are all assault weapons that must be banned according to their article

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    actually the real definition of assault weapon is a gun with selective fire
    so what they say is correct in a way

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    actually the real definition of assault weapon is a gun with selective fire
    so what they say is correct in a way

i'm on a youtube roll so far today...

sooo assault rifles were designed to resist assaults from the enemy when hunkered down...interesting. i assumed they're named assault rifles because when left to their own actions they jump up and assault as many people as they can until someone can stop them and lock them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom