Would a fillet knife be a good self defense knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which knife would be better in a defensive situation?

• fillet knife

Votes: 28 63.6%
    • bread knife

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Like many of us, I own a decent fillet knife, they work well for long cuts (fruits/veggies) and of course their intended purpose to fillet fish.

Taking another look at these knives, from a defensive perspective [now that I've taken a few knife training classes; thanks to some of you for your recommendations]. I now look at all knives differently, and consider... if I absolutely had to, how would this knife 'hold up' and be best utilized for defensive purposes. I've learned that as the defender, generally a knife is going to be most likely used to slash at the hand/arm of the attacker in an attempt to get them to drop their weapon. So a knife with some reach is generally preferred. Also, a knife that will not break is important, lateral pressures are the greatest weakness of folding knives. A knife with a smooth, gently arching blade that is light and easy to maneuver quickly is preferred.

I see all these attributes (except maybe strength) in the fillet knife.

If one had to stab with a fillet knife, I could see it breaking rather easily, but slashing I would imagine it would hold up quite nicely until it might get caught in clothing or endures some lateral stress; where I'm sure it would promptly break.

I'm not a knife guy, but since taking all this training, I find myself carrying a simple, legal, pocket knife nearly everywhere I go. Even the FAA was reviewing their rules against small pocket knives, and almost reversed their prohibition against them.

So what do you think, fillet knife would be better than something else (improvised) like a bread knife. But then again, most bread knives are longer, and generally stronger (the few I've owned of both). I think either would do in a pinch, but would anyone consider them as a primary carry defensive knife?

Let me make this thread a poll, and just ask which is a better defensive blade (by category) a fillet knife or a bread knife. But if anyone knows of a more substantial fillet knife, I'd be interested; and likewise if there are any other standard kitchen knives (chef's perhaps), that would be a better improvised defensive blade, lets hear about that too.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you absolutely can't decide between the two, you can pick both.

Here are a few, that got me thinking about this:

Bubba blade:

9-tapered_700.png

kitchen-classics-bread-knife-59kbrz-full-1.jpg

fillet-knife.jpg

I just discovered, I'm using the wrong terms; they are 'boning knives' and 'multipurpose slicers'. Ok, then. :)

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Why would you want to fillet someone ? That's kind of hard to explain: 'See officer, once he was dead, those nice fillets and back-straps weren't doing him any good. I swear, it was self defense'.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    This is interesting because a few years ago I also was considering the fillet knife as a defensive knife. I had been researching some homicide cases where the weapon was a fillet knife, and in several cases the knife was stabbed right into the heart in between the ribs, which proved fatal in a matter of seconds. Fillet knives are also long and fast, and my own experience in foil fencing made the idea appealing, so I purchased a CRKT Surf n' Turf, which is a folder fillet.

However, over time I circle back my own reservations about the viability of knives used in self-defense. In cases I've read, there have only been a few times where the use of the knife was justified. In all others it results in a Murder 2 conviction and jail time. I've only seen one knife-on-knife case where the defender both survived the encounter and was ruled justified. And he was comatose for several days in the ICU from the wounds he sustained, while his attacker died at the scene. It was ruled justified because the defender was simply mistaken for someone else and did not draw his knife until his attacker drew his own and being the assault. All others involved an unarmed attacker vs. a defender armed with a knife. The cases where it was ruled justified all involved no reasonable avenue of escape (back to the wall; lying supine on the ground) and attacker presenting a real lethal threat where killing them was completely reasonable.

A few non-fatal cases I know of involve the defender using the knife to break a grapple (generally very small knives) by cutting the hands, arms or face. I've not tested this but it feels like it might be difficult with such long knives due to the difficulty of drawing it and getting the leverage or positioning for the cut.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Can't see the poll on the phone, but wouldn't a box cutter be a more viable defensive option in close quarters if seeking a knife with a "other" legitimate purpose? They're cheap and one can get a firm purchase on them. The blades might snap, but they're probably at least as robust as a filet knife which has a longer blade. They won't penetrate deeply, but would be very fast for quick slashing. I have better carry options, but if seeking a tool to keep in a center car console, etc, a bright yellow handled box cutter probably looks less out of place relative to a kitchen knife.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This is interesting because a few years ago I also was considering the fillet knife as a defensive knife. I had been researching some homicide cases where the weapon was a fillet knife, and in several cases the knife was stabbed right into the heart in between the ribs, which proved fatal in a matter of seconds. Fillet knives are also long and fast, and my own experience in foil fencing made the idea appealing, so I purchased a CRKT Surf n' Turf, which is a folder fillet.

However, over time I circle back my own reservations about the viability of knives used in self-defense. In cases I've read, there have only been a few times where the use of the knife was justified. In all others it results in a Murder 2 conviction and jail time. I've only seen one knife-on-knife case where the defender both survived the encounter and was ruled justified. And he was comatose for several days in the ICU from the wounds he sustained, while his attacker died at the scene. It was ruled justified because the defender was simply mistaken for someone else and did not draw his knife until his attacker drew his own and being the assault. All others involved an unarmed attacker vs. a defender armed with a knife. The cases where it was ruled justified all involved no reasonable avenue of escape (back to the wall; lying supine on the ground) and attacker presenting a real lethal threat where killing them was completely reasonable.

A few non-fatal cases I know of involve the defender using the knife to break a grapple (generally very small knives) by cutting the hands, arms or face. I've not tested this but it feels like it might be difficult with such long knives due to the difficulty of drawing it and getting the leverage or positioning for the cut.

Excellent analysis.

I have no data on the fillet knife, but it meets all perimeters for a good defensive knife; except that I think it would break with any hard lateral pressure.

Almost any knife that can get 7" or so of penetration on most people will probably be fatal if stuck in the critical aortic cavity.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The best knife for self defense would probably be a bayonet. The added weight should combat muzzle climb so you can get follow-up shots off faster.

My understanding is that there are two ways to "win" a knife fight: outrun your opponent or shoot him.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Fillet knife would probably be better for slashing - and if you can manage to get a few thrusts/stabs in it'd probably do well - if it doesn't break.

I'd probably opt for the bread knife though. Serrated edge, more jagged wound, stiffer blade - wounds will be harder to close.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Can't see the poll on the phone, but wouldn't a box cutter be a more viable defensive option in close quarters if seeking a knife with a "other" legitimate purpose? They're cheap and one can get a firm purchase on them. The blades might snap, but they're probably at least as robust as a filet knife which has a longer blade. They won't penetrate deeply, but would be very fast for quick slashing. I have better carry options, but if seeking a tool to keep in a center car console, etc, a bright yellow handled box cutter probably looks less out of place relative to a kitchen knife.

Agreed, especially about the legitimacy angle, but I'm just asking from a purely defensive use perspective. I think either a boning knife or slicer would be better than a box cutter. The main advantage being reach.

Also, my read of the Maryland code, anyone with a handgun carry permit is exempt from the 'carrying weapons', so they can carry a fixed blade, or any other knife; they could even carry num-chucks (not recommended, and I obviously don't even know how to spell it).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Yes a filet knife would be a formidable weapon

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 894

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

A very good analyses I think. Unless you are getting attacked while cleaning and prepping fish (:)) you have to remember that in general carrying a fixed blade knife is not legal in MD. All that aside the weapon you carry must fit the scenarios you expect it to be deployed in. Long blade = long range, short blade = short range. While I don't own or carry one a neck knife is a good compromise for short range or a 2"-4" bladed folder that can be deployed with only one hand. The fillet/boning blade is a good slashing blade, especially reversed, but due to the thin blade is a poor stabbing weapon except possibly with some fencing skill in the standard grip position. A blade with double the thickness would be better. I personally prefer a straighter point with a curved edge for better 2 way performance. As for the bread knife it has no point and a fully serrated edge which can get caught in heavier clothing like leather. I have gone thru the knife block in my kitchen before to see what I would want to grab first and neither of those would be my first or second choice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A very good analyses I think. Unless you are getting attacked while cleaning and prepping fish (:)) you have to remember that in general carrying a fixed blade knife is not legal in MD. All that aside the weapon you carry must fit the scenarios you expect it to be deployed in. Long blade = long range, short blade = short range. While I don't own or carry one a neck knife is a good compromise for short range or a 2"-4" bladed folder that can be deployed with only one hand. The fillet/boning blade is a good slashing blade, especially reversed, but due to the thin blade is a poor stabbing weapon except possibly with some fencing skill in the standard grip position. A blade with double the thickness would be better. I personally prefer a straighter point with a curved edge for better 2 way performance. As for the bread knife it has no point and a fully serrated edge which can get caught in heavier clothing like leather. I have gone thru the knife block in my kitchen before to see what I would want to grab first and neither of those would be my first or second choice.

You obviously know what you are talking about, you confirmed what little I know, so thanks for the additional insight.

In the kitchen department what would be your first choice, I'll guess basic chefs knife? There are a few videos of people being attacked with kitchen knives, it's quite the frightful thing. Because kitchen knives are so common, most of us underestimate their potential lethality.

Nearly every time I walk through a place like TJMaxx, I check out their clearance kitchen section. I've found a couple great deals, and once even found an amazing (super expensive) Japanese chefs knife. I think I paid about $100 (that's a lot to me), but it retailed for at least double that. I love that knife, I think it can cut through anything.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am waiting for the .380 to show up in this thread. If you are using a knife to defend yourself, your tactics failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom