• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    All,

I am new to reloading but a pet peeve of mine in the time of scarcity and reaction is finding matching components to start loading. I have five reloading manuals and find myself sitting on a site flipping around to answer the questions of "They have powder X available, what can I load with it?" and "Bullets XXX are available in ###gr, what powders work with them?".

After a few hours of this, I got annoyed.

So I writing an Android app that will contain the powder/bullet combinations gathered across all of the manuals. So if I select a Sierra .308 190gr HPBT, it will tell me what powders work with that round and the page references in the manuals the information is derived from. Or if I select Varget as a powder, it would tell me the calibers I could load. And including a function to mark what calibers I shoot, it would tell me how many different rounds that powder would support.

Please note, this does NOT contain the reloading data! I full on recognize that as a violation of the manufacturer's rights to their information. However, building a bibliographical cross-reference of facts across this different books should not cause problems. Especially since the app will contain the information to source back to the load data assuming you own the manual. If you don't own one or more the manuals, all the app will tell you is the data available indicates a given powder/bullet combo is valid.

I see this as a useful utility for the new reloader, the reloader looking to change or develop a new recipe or someone standing at a gun show (as I was) or a shop wondering "Can I use these bullets or powder?"

To my knowledge, no one has done this in automated form. Lots of reloaders apparently maintain spreadsheets or books with this type of cross-reference. I started to do that and it got unwieldy quickly. So I fired up Eclipse and started to bang together a prototype.

I think there's a niche market for this. I'm thinking of offering a free version with a limited database or random caliber selection and a full version with everything for a couple of bucks. And then maybe reach out to the companies in the future at adding in an Ultimate version that would containing licensing reloading data as well.

Thoughts? Or am insane? Anyone interested in beta-testing?

Matt

Drakos

Outta Control
    Dec 25, 2010
    Great idea...I can see it as a useful gun show app...I too have found myself in the situation of looking for "my" powder and not finding any wondering if I can use what is being sold.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    That is a good idea, not many good firearms apps for the droids. Maybe you could in clude a page where the user can input his own loading data and information

There is an iPhone app called AmmoTracker that allows to build up a database. I do not know if it's available for Android.

Part of my enjoyment in reloading is paging through the manuals. YMMV.

For me, it's fairly easy to commit a few powders to memory. If not, there is always the web on my phone, and the info printed on the jar of powder.

It still sounds like a very useful app!

The app that i REALLY want is one to calculate groups sizes, etc, from a target picture. The catch is that the app must recognize the bullet holes on it's own, no dragging and dropping of little dots.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Adding a personal recipe list for your calibers is trivial. Let me pound on some code tonight and tomorrow and I'll post some screen captures from the test emulator.

Absent a better idea, I'm calling the application "Powder Monkey".

Matt

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    If you want you can send me the apk file and I will be a beta tester with you

flying_pig

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2013
    Adding a personal recipe list for your calibers is trivial. Let me pound on some code tonight and tomorrow and I'll post some screen captures from the test emulator.

Absent a better idea, I'm calling the application "Powder Monkey".

Matt

How about FART

Firearm and Reloading Tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom