• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Has anyone here had duds with this ammo? Usually out of each box at least a couple don't fire unlike the milsurp ammunition, which I never had a problem with, all of my milsurp stuff has fired 100%

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I never used anything but surplus do to the cost difference I mean I clean my gun if its used corrosive or not so why not save yourself the $$$. Sorry i wasn't more help or ur actual question.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What kind of rifle (PSL, Mosin, SVT, Dragunov, ect...)?

Depending on what kind of rifle, the firing pin might not have enough protrusion or the bolt is gummed with cosmoline. The headspace could be bad too.

Have you tried other ammo?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, not awake yet he says he has no problem with military surplus. :D

:lol2:

It could be the ammo. I missed that. Dur, for me. :)

I shoot Surplus but Im severly detailed in my cleaning afterward. The Non SUrplus could be corrosive too though.

Sometimes commercial can have deeper set primers or the ammo could be bad.

Here be my method for cleaning after "questionable amm0": http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=493115#post493115

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    :lol2:

It could be the ammo. I missed that. Dur, for me. :)

I shoot Surplus but Im severly detailed in my cleaning afterward. The Non SUrplus could be corrosive too though.

Sometimes commercial can have deeper set primers or the ammo could be bad.

Here be my method for cleaning after "questionable amm0": http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=493115#post493115

We both agree that posers are bad but i was just reading in that thread and some of it was at least on a truly chemical level ammonia is technically only a gas at room temp what is in windex is ammonia water which is made by bubbling ammonia gas through water. And will neutralize any acid depending on amount and concentration of ammonia vs amount and concentration of the acid however it will not take away the corrosive properties so my point is moot for the topic but...

Sorry all that chemistry knowledge just will not let me read a over simplified statement (ie: wrong) and not say something. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    We both agree that posers are bad but i was just reading in that thread and some of it was at least on a truly chemical level ammonia is technically only a gas at room temp what is in windex is ammonia water which is made by bubbling ammonia gas through water. And will neutralize any acid however it will not take away the corrosive properties so my point is moot for the topic but...

Sorry all that chemistry knowledge just will not let me read a over simplified statement (ie: wrong) and not say something. :D

Bro, you are a Nerd like me. :lol2:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    We both agree that posers are bad but i was just reading in that thread and some of it was at least on a truly chemical level ammonia is technically only a gas at room temp what is in windex is ammonia water which is made by bubbling ammonia gas through water. And will neutralize any acid depending on amount and concentration of ammonia vs amount and concentration of the acid however it will not take away the corrosive properties so my point is moot for the topic but...

umm... if you neutralize the acid with ammonia (or any other base), have you not, by definition, "taken away it's corrosive properties"...?:shrug:

that, at any rate, is the chemistry I learned:D

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Bro, you are a Nerd like me. :lol2:

Yeah what can I say I did my senior research project on lead contamination at an the local rifle range. I was going to try to bring the weather into it and even the head of the chemistry department said too much work and too many variables.:)

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    umm... if you neutralize the acid with ammonia (or any other base), have you not, by definition, "taken away it's corrosive properties"...?:shrug:

that, at any rate, is the chemistry I learned:D

Not always because for example saltwater (plain table salt) is neutral ph of 7 if you don't count the fact that the carbon dioxide dissolved in it will bring the ph to around 5.7 but for this purpose we will ignore that and assume all carbon dioxide is gone.

1 liter of NaOH (base) and 1 liter of HCl (acid) will make a neutral solution (ph 7) of salt water and as we know salt water is corrosive.

Wow this thread got way off-topic real fast.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Still cleaning mostly with Hoppes #9 but most people swear by windex, all of my rifles are Mosins. And I enjoyed the chemistry thread, I used to teach chemistry.

linthicum

Aug 29, 2009
    Never had a problem with Russian commercial ammo. What did the primers look like after being struck? Are you firing pins adjusted correctly? I ask because one of my rifles was firing one kind of ammo with no problem, and when I used a different ammo I was getting ftf's. Pulled out my gauge and checked the firing pin, to short. So I adjusted the firing pin and never had a ftf with that ammo again.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I've never had a problem with Russian ammo either. Actually, I've never had a centerfire FTF, ever. It probably helps that I mainly use bolt-actions. Especially if it's an older military rifle in less-than-new shape, I would look to that as being the reason for FTFs more than the ammo.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    Still cleaning mostly with Hoppes #9 but most people swear by windex, all of my rifles are Mosins. And I enjoyed the chemistry thread, I used to teach chemistry.

Windex is 90% water .
    It's the water that "flushes out the bore"
    I believe the WWII GI bore solvent is a water based cleaner and designed to clean bores after shooting corrosive primed ammo.
    I like to start with Ed's Red wet then dry follwed by a nylon bore brush dipped in N0.9 , then GI bore solvent followed with a wet patch of Eezox or CLP.
    Every other time I use some copper solvent like Montana Extreme just to get the copper build up out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom