• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    WMATA has openings in the elevator/escalator department for journeyman techs and also for the 4 year Elevator/escalator Apprenticeship program.
    If interested check WMATA.com and the listings is found under Careers. Very good pay and benefits.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There's a long backstory , but they're always looking for ELES Techs and Apprentices . Great opportunity and good $ .

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    WMATA (Metro) is hiring for elevator/escalator technicians
    tenor.gif

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Please fill us in on the "long back story". Be fascinating to hear. Four year apprenticeship successfully completed, leads to earnings in the six figures with benefits, and NO school loan debt.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Please fill us in on the "long back story". Be fascinating to hear. Four year apprenticeship successfully completed, leads to earnings in the six figures with benefits, and NO school loan debt.
    .....they have good benefits too! I'm hearing once they get the training and some experience, they move on to folks like OTIS elevator or other private industry conveyance companies. This is a heavily unionized sub industry.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    .....they have good benefits too! I'm hearing once they get the training and some experience, they move on to folks like OTIS elevator or other private industry conveyance companies. This is a heavily unionized sub industry.
    WMATA's elevator/escalator techs are under local 689, not the IUEC's local 10. The only techs that have left for private industry are those local 10 people that came to Metro than returned back to IUEC locals.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , long term turf war between IAM , and Amalgamated Transit .

The money is Too Good . ie . they are so perpetually understaffed , they don't have enough trained and certified warm bodies to do the required inspections , PM , and actual repairs . So it's very frequent mandatory OT . I've know guys that told me tbey no longer cared about the big $$ , they wamted to occasionally have a life . Some transferred to other related technical job classifications with more normal hours , some moved on , but constantly constantly need new Apprentices .

Don't get me wrong , it's a great opportunity , and anyone inclined should jump on it .

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Yup , long term turf war between IAM , and Amalgamated Transit .

The money is Too Good . ie . they are so perpetually understaffed , they don't have enough trained and certified warm bodies to do the required inspections , PM , and actual repairs . So it's very frequent mandatory OT . I've know guys that told me tbey no longer cared about the big $$ , they wamted to occasionally have a life . Some transferred to other related technical job classifications with more normal hours , some moved on , but constantly constantly need new Apprentices .

Don't get me wrong , it's a great opportunity , and anyone inclined should jump on it .
    Not sure where you are getting your information from. Mandatory overtime? Nope. Transferred to other job classification? Only when involved with promotion, ie, inspector, engineering, quality assurance. Understaffed, yup. Much like almost all other skilled trades. Dealing with an aging population, technicians are retiring (with a great pension plan). Entrance requirements are high, as should be for the required responsibility and the pay that can be earned.

TSquare45

MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2022
    College Park, MD
    Not sure where you are getting your information from. Mandatory overtime? Nope. Transferred to other job classification? Only when involved with promotion, ie, inspector, engineering, quality assurance. Understaffed, yup. Much like almost all other skilled trades. Dealing with an aging population, technicians are retiring (with a great pension plan). Entrance requirements are high, as should be for the required responsibility and the pay that can be earned.
    Yeah, I imagine the mandatory OT was back when ELES was playing catch some years ago. Now everything is either outsourced or close to a state of good repair, that's probably died down tremendously. Even though I do know a few ELES guys that enjoyed the nighttime differential just for watching escalator contractors doing repairs....

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Yeah, I imagine the mandatory OT was back when ELES was playing catch some years ago. Now everything is either outsourced or close to a state of good repair, that's probably died down tremendously. Even though I do know a few ELES guys that enjoyed the nighttime differential just for watching escalator contractors doing repairs....
    Once again, where do you get this information? Make it up as you go along? Only "outsourced" work is either replacement or modernization of existing equipment, much like any other transportation company. Those people you say are standing around watching the contractors, those people are called inspectors. Required to ensure the work is done correctly and adhere to contract requirements. All maintenance, troubleshooting, service and repair is performed by in house technicians. The bulk of those technicians are graduates of the in house Apprenticeship. The great program I attempted to share with people that may be interested or have friends/relatives interested in a rewarding career. So much for story time.

TSquare45

MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2022
    College Park, MD
    Once again, where do you get this information? Make it up as you go along? Only "outsourced" work is either replacement or modernization of existing equipment, much like any other transportation company. Those people you say are standing around watching the contractors, those people are called inspectors. Required to ensure the work is done correctly and adhere to contract requirements. All maintenance, troubleshooting, service and repair is performed by in house technicians. The bulk of those technicians are graduates of the in house Apprenticeship. The great program I attempted to share with people that may be interested or have friends/relatives interested in a rewarding career. So much for story time.
    MOST maintenance and service is performed in house, yes. However, take a gander at many of the contracts requirements you mention. You might catch thr part where many of the "newer" elevators and escalators have been turned over that ELES but ELES doesn't/can't perform the maintenance or you'll void your warranties. And once upon a time when ELES didn't have enough of their own inspectors, Superintendents would send trusted senior technicians to observe the work. Therefore, from a technicians perspective that work was pretty much standing and observing the work and/or opening up the pit or closets since contractors didn't often have free access to those areas. I pretty good first hand knowledge of how most of WMATA operates, only stories coming from here are the ones the reader implies incorrectly.....

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    MOST maintenance and service is performed in house, yes. However, take a gander at many of the contracts requirements you mention. You might catch thr part where many of the "newer" elevators and escalators have been turned over that ELES but ELES doesn't/can't perform the maintenance or you'll void your warranties. And once upon a time when ELES didn't have enough of their own inspectors, Superintendents would send trusted senior technicians to observe the work. Therefore, from a technicians perspective that work was pretty much standing and observing the work and/or opening up the pit or closets since contractors didn't often have free access to those areas. I pretty good first hand knowledge of how most of WMATA operates, only stories coming from here are the ones the reader implies incorrectly.....
    As difficult it was to read, I will say that you are broadcasting very inaccurate information. I am not going to waste time arguing with an ill informed person. Like I said earlier, my post was to inform and encourage those interested in a good technical trade where you can build a future. Best of luck to those that apply. WMATA is a good company to work for.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    As difficult it was to read, I will say that you are broadcasting very inaccurate information. I am not going to waste time arguing with an ill informed person. Like I said earlier, my post was to inform and encourage those interested in a good technical trade where you can build a future. Best of luck to those that apply. WMATA is a good company to work for.

Local 689 not so much.
    But I do have a fairly good retirement.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    If you are interested or know of someone interested I believe the posting is still open. Check at wmata.com careers. Computer based entrance exams are required. Verbal, math, mechanical knowledge, electric/electronic test are given. You can see these tests examples on Youtube. Ramsey, Wonderlic, Bennett. Whatever the naysayers have to say, pay and benefits are hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom