• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I turned on the TV channel 13 news this morning and within a few minuets they were previewing an upcoming segment (about 4 times in 5mins like it's the hottest topic in the world they need to warn everyone about) they have coming up that is clearly about placing fear in all of the non-gun owners hearts. Asking question like, "should people be able to own arsenals of guns in their homes?"

Very briefly interviewed a guy saying we are free and it's our rights. Then interviewing a guy in a gun shop (edited out of context I'm sure) saying "You would be surprised to learn the many guns your neighbors have in their homes", as if it's a bad or sinister thing your neighbor may be up to. All clearly to make gun owners and guns look bad.

About a week or two ago they were running a segment talking about how the gun laws need to change so minors can't buy guns so easily. More misleading info aimed at the portion of the public that do not own or care for guns or gun people. These people that do not own or care about guns one way or the other are not up on the gun laws and the hoops Marylander's have to go through to buy a gun, and they are being fed misinformation leading them to believe kids can buy guns easily.

How in the world can minors buy guns? I'm 55 with 20 guns under my belt the MSP have records on, with two carry permits with one being the maryland permit, and I still had to show ID and fill out 3-4 forms and then wait 7 days as I'm checked out yet again just to buy my gun. So how can they get on TV and tell the world the system lets minors buy guns easily? :mad54:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Did you just realize that the media has been twisting the facts to make a story the way they want it to sound. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It's the GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE, any 12 year old can buy a Machine gun inside the GUN SHOW!

I for one am all for NEW laws that restrict 12 year olds from buying guns!

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    This is probably the piece they shot quite a while back at Constitutional Firearms, over near Laurel.

The member featured in the piece was cautiosly optimistic over the content, and those of us there were assured they would be "fair".

Personally, based on the shots the cameraman took, and some of the conversation I heard, this could turn out badly if they so chose.

I'm hoping Patrick (who had been working with the producer) got a chance to preview it, and will be able to comment.

The irony here may be that both the cameraman and Mary Bubala showed interest in learning more about shooting... but they definitely had the impression (even after all the conversation and information) that 'collector' equated to 'hoarding' or 'arsenal'.

ETA: Looks like it hasn't been posted to their site yet.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Did you just realize that the media has been twisting the facts to make a story the way they want it to sound. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

No I realize it, It just makes me angry. There hasn't been an non-bios news story for the last 50 years. Everything we see and hear on the news has some other motivation behind it other then just wanting to keep people informed. Integrity in the news world has long been a thing of the past. It's all about the manipulation of the masses that can't read between the lines to make gains on their own political agendas.

Kind of like the millions of dollars of FREE pro Obama press that he has enjoyed over the last 4 years that has greatly helped him during both elections and will still receive for the next 4. Most people do not realize there is only 5 very large corporations that own ALL of the media. And 4 out of the 5 are very liberal. There going to report what they are told to report and they will be told how and what type of spin to put on the given story to steer people in the direction they want them to go. Everyday it's harder to find free thinkers who do not need the news media to tell them how and what to think. And what's not said is often more damaging then what is said.

And like sheep, most people are lead like they do not have brain one.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    This is probably the piece they shot quite a while back at Constitutional Firearms, over near Laurel.

The member featured in the piece was cautiosly optimistic over the content, and those of us there were assured they would be "fair".

Personally, based on the shots the cameraman took, and some of the conversation I heard, this could turn out badly if they so chose.

I'm hoping Patrick (who had been working with the producer) got a chance to preview it, and will be able to comment.

The irony here may be that both the cameraman and Mary Bubala showed interest in learning more about shooting... but they definitely had the impression (even after all the conversation and information) that 'collector' equated to 'hoarder'.

And I'm sure the timing is no accident with the hand full of historic gun related court cases that are active at this time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's the GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE, any 12 year old can buy a Machine gun inside the GUN SHOW!

I for one am all for NEW laws that restrict 12 year olds from buying guns!

I would be in favor of a permanent ban on 12 year olds buying guns. While this may be unpopular with many members here, I would say that it should be mandatory that they wait 6 years before they can purchase any type of firearm whatsoever.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Never make the mistake when dealing with the press of thinking the reporter has the final say over the spin of the story. No matter how much a reporter may like you or what you have to say, they have bosses too. It is the print editors of newspapers and the TV station managers who decide how the final stories go out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a harbinger of a massive push we're going to see in Annapolis in January to try to shove tons of new gun control down our throats. "Save the children from buying guns," "get the weapons of war off our streets," "the state police need to see gun buyers' medical records," "New Jersey has a low-crime rate thanks to its gun control".........all of the usual ********.

The difference is they're going to be buoyed by the election results, both state and national. The left is convinced they are now in a new period of resurgence for the moonbat ideas of liberalism.

G

George

Don't you know the media only tells the story how they think people want to hear it. They tell it to try to get people to watch. Ratings is all they care about they could could less who it effects. The media tells many lies. One of the reasons the general public is so misinformed.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Maryland encourages massive gun purchasing. Why do you think they designate collectors in the state?;)

It's a revenue source (not huge, but still...) to allow "collector" sales. It's also a classic hoop to make people jump through to become a collector, while maintaining the illusion that they are limiting the number of sales to the unwashed masses with the 1-a-month rule.

I'd be shocked if the timing of the WJZ piece isn't a response to the overwhelming number of Black Friday Weekend purchases the last 2 years! Well, that, and the big jump in post-election sales.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    Of the local news people, the group from WJZ has always been the worst about getting the facts or truth on air. Examples....

When one of the Maryland assault rifle bans was being discussed, a 13 reporter came into the shop to talk about why people would want to keep machine guns. When I explained the difference between full auto and the firearms being banned, she said I was wrong and she was right. End of story.

2. The Brady people used to issue report cards to grade states on their efforts to ban private ownership of firearms. The reporter from 13 said that Maryland had received an
    A and that was good. I asked her to check the states that received an F and see if their crime rate was lower then Md. I was told that was not going to happen.

I could continue but I need to go take my blood pressure meds.!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

The irony here may be that both the cameraman and Mary Bubala showed interest in learning more about shooting... but they definitely had the impression (even after all the conversation and information) that 'collector' equated to 'hoarder'.

I guess this is the article (news story) Patrick was working on last smmer??? I hope not. If so, based on the limited info in this thread, it appears as if the media (WJZ) is using the article against us, though wishfull thinking is not. I gave Patrick my best wishes regarding this endeavor and indicated in so many words to be careful, especially when dealing with the media and the possible reprocussions.............

Never make the mistake when dealing with the press of thinking the reporter has the final say over the spin of the story. No matter how much a reporter may like you or what you have to say, they have bosses too. It is the print editors of newspapers and the TV station managers who decide how the final stories go out.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a harbinger of a massive push we're going to see in Annapolis in January to try to shove tons of new gun control down our throats. "Save the children from buying guns," "get the weapons of war off our streets," "the state police need to see gun buyers' medical records," "New Jersey has a low-crime rate thanks to its gun control".........all of the usual ********.

The difference is they're going to be buoyed by the election results, both state and national. The left is convinced they are now in a new period of resurgence for the moonbat ideas of liberalism.

^^^^^ Zoo's got it right, with MAJOR emphasis on his last paragraph.

I believe the news agency needs to interview several licensed firearms dealers that have good public speaking skills to receive the facts and not fiction. Perhaps an interview with Greg Shipley (MSP) regarding the Maryland Laws pertaining to firearms puchases.:D

Gotta' go now so I can arrive at the shop in time for opening. You know I don't want to be late for the twelve year olds waiting at my front door en masse to buy their handguns and "Acme assult rifles".

Sirex