• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So I recently acquired a Winchester model 92 (serial number has it made in 1923). I have a question for anyone who knows these little rifles. The bluing on it is pretty good on the barrel, mag tube, and cartridge port (85 percent plus) but the receiver, lever, and hammer doesn't seem to have any. A nice patina in spots (with some freckles for character), but what seems to be basically zero bluing. Were these case hardened, or did this just see a lot of use being carried in such a way it wore off? Any insight you might have would be appreciated. BTW, been lurking watching this forum for awhile... you guys rock!

thanks

Attachments

• 100_0086.jpg
      100_0086.jpg
      73.7 KB · Views: 196
    • 100_0087.jpg
      100_0087.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 201
    • 100_0088.jpg
      100_0088.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 203

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Nice, NICE rifle :thumbsup: looks to me that it's aging naturally, who knows that machined receiver may have been in a scabbard for who knows how long and times? We're not shy here, what did you pay for that true American classic??? :drool:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Great rifle you have there . More than likely it was not case colored but you could send the serial number to the Cody Museum and they could check the records and may be able to tell you and get some more history on the rifle. Im not sure what they charge any more to do it . They will send you a nice letter with all the info they find .

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    BlackBart: It was a bittersweet acquisition. Grandfather promised it to me years ago when he said he couldn't use it anymore.... he handed it to me a few weeks ago and told me that day had arrived, that his hunting days were over. Wish that wasn't the case, but I guess it will happen to all of us some day.

rj1974: Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check into that.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    BlackBart: It was a bittersweet acquisition. Grandfather promised it to me years ago when he said he couldn't use it anymore.... he handed it to me a few weeks ago and told me that day had arrived, that his hunting days were over. Wish that wasn't the case, but I guess it will happen to all of us some day.

rj1974: Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check into that.

Don't feel bad about it, he passed the torch down to you, be proud. That was a great day in your life and a milestone in his. :thumbsup:

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    CAS (Cowboy Action Shooting) City - 3 sub-forums: 1860 Henry, 1866 Winchester, 1873 Winchester. There's no specific 1892 Winchester sub-forum, but if you look around and ask, there's a huge amount of knowledge to be shared there. I guarantee you'll get interest and answers to your questions. They call me "Frenchie" LaFrance there.
    emoticoncowboycool.gif

And by the way: intensely :envy:

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Very true. Its a good little rifle too... he told me it shot straight and it does. Never shot anything with 32-20 before, but it is a nice little round... makes me want to look for maybe an old Colt wheel gun chambered the same...

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Love the honest wear and use its got on it . You can tell it was carried alot by the wear on the bottom of the receiver from where is was cradled in your grandfathers hand while he walked with it . Great family heirloom you have there .

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Really nice rifle there and even better it was handed down from your Grandfather. Those older Winchesters would likely have been blued, but over years of handling (acid and salt in sweat) scabbards and gun cases, the bluing just wears away. Bluing is just a very specific oxidation (rust) that turns the steel blue.

I have a 1940's Winchester Model 12 shotgun and the receiver looks just like that. Enjoy the rifle. I wouldn't do anything to it except wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Nice rifle. No sling so it was carried by the receiver is my guess.

What caliber?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Great rifle you have there . More than likely it was not case colored but you could send the serial number to the Cody Museum and they could check the records and may be able to tell you and get some more history on the rifle. Im not sure what they charge any more to do it . They will send you a nice letter with all the info they find .

No luck with them. Looked them up and they are part of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. They have a list of serial number ranges online they have information on and can research/send a letter. Unfortunately, my rifle is smack dab in the middle of the ones that aren't available for the 92. Good thought though. I have a Winchester model 97 I might have them look into instead.

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Model 92 is a great lever action rifle, here's mind in 32-20. View attachment 57229
    Nice! What do you put through it? I have been shooting Black Hills in mine (not that I've had it that long to shoot much of anything yet). I have some old jacketed lead remington ammo I got with it, but it is labled "High Power".... I would guess the rifle could handle the "High Power" (not so sure an old pistol could), but I figured I would save it... rather be safe then sorry and risk loosening something up (or worst).

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    So, you have a saddle ring carbine in original condition. If you reblue it you'll kill the price of it by $500 or so. It was your Granddads, clean her up and shoot her :) That's what the rifle was made for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom