• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Been a while since I posted. A bit of background... As a teenager growing up I had been hunting with my dad for several years. He would always tell me that he was going to buy me my own rifle on day. Well... When I turned 14 he suprised me a Winchester model 70 made in 1953. It was 30-06. I have so many good memories of that rifle and the fun with my Dad. My folks live in Florida now and I go down and hunt hog every few years or so.

The rifle has since been sold off. Not by my Dad or anyone else but by me. I was young and stupid and had cars and girls on the mind when I got a bit older and the rifle seemed a good way to fund some more "good times".

Now that I am older and have a career and my kids are all grown up and almost all moved out I have had time to think about it... I wanted to own another one so I took the plunge and bought the below rifle off of gun broker.

I had forgotten just how perfect that rifle was. My new pre-64 was built in 1957 and is in 30-06. It is in excellent shape. I have made a couple trips to the range and I am simply shocked at how accurate the rifle is. More important than accuracy though is just how good it feels. It reminds me of days gone by... It was made at a time when stuff was just made right. It exudes quality and it just looks so damn good.

If you have never fired a pre-64 mdl 70 I highly suggest you give it a try. I know that FN is now making nearly identical new ones in South Carolina. I looked at a few. I do not care what anyone says, the classics are still the best there ever was. They trully are a rifleman's rifle.

Phil

Attachments

• mdl70.JPG
      mdl70.JPG
      23.9 KB · Views: 181

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    A true piece of Americana. A rifle on my list, but they go for much more than I can currently spare. An especially nice find, especially since it reminds you of growing up.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    What a great rifle . I shoot Remingtons I have kown a few guys that have pre64 hunting rifles and a few that have NRA match rifles they are so smooth .There is just someting about a pre 64 mod 70.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I've always wanted one. But never seen one how much do they usually go for? Congratulations on finding such a beautiful gun.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    Winchester is making them again .The new ones are very nice .I think FN in south Carolina is making them for Winchester. They are claw extractor and controlled feed, and also have the famous three position safety.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Winchester is making them again .The new ones are very nice .I think FN in south Carolina is making them for Winchester. They are claw extractor and controlled feed, and also have the famous three position safety.

You are correct. I have had a chance to handle a few. They are nice but not as nice as the originals. You cannot replace the fact that the pre-64's were made at a time in our country when we were truly a nation of producers. Men took pride in what they made with their hands. From the top of the management chain down through the organization the emphasis was on quality and pride in the product the company was turning out. It has been rumored that Winchester never made a dime on these rifles as they were simply to costly to manufacturer. Part of the process required hand fitting and the metal work alone took significant time and resources. That was why Winchester stopped making them in 1964 and changed to a cheaper design that required less money to produce.

That time in our country's history is gone. We are no longer a nation of producers, we are simply consumers. That pride and sense that the employees were truly manufacturing something special has been lost. The atmosphere of the country today simply does not lend itself to that type of attitude and culture.

This rifle represents more to me than memories of good family times, it represents an era that I long for today.

Phil

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    The rifle has since been sold off. Not by my Dad or anyone else but by me. I was young and stupid and had cars and girls on the mind when I got a bit older and the rifle seemed a good way to fund some more "good times".

It reminds me of days gone by... It was made at a time when stuff was just made right. It exudes quality and it just looks so damn good.

Phil

Great post and a beautiful rifle, to boot. We get "too soon old, too late smart" sometimes, so cut yourself some slack on selling your first one.:D

I whole-heartedly agree with your comment regarding the "time when stuff was just made right" too. Even the craftsmanship on my Model 78 Brownings (from the 70's) is quite evident to me when I compare them to my "modern" rifles. I've found myself looking at alot of Belgium Brownings and older Sakos lately (among other things). It seems that there was alot more pride taken in production back then. Your pre-64 is certainly no exception. Congratulations, it is truly something to cherish.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    And BTW, I've also seen some writers claim the newer model 70s are much better accuracy-wise than the older pre-64s. That may true. But I'd take a pre-64 capable of 3-4" @ 100 over a newer one that'll do 1" any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom