• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    As my collection has grown over the last couple of years it has been well past time for me to purchase a gun safe to protect them and keep them out of the hands of baddies. I have been shopping safes in my affordability range for about 6 months or so now and settled on this one from the Tractor Store at a decent price $699.00.

Not exactly 'top-shelf' but bolted to the floor & wall it should get the job done! Love the accessory panel for the inside of the door for my pistols and gear. The panel comes with the safe instead of an extra $$$ add-on. Thought it was a good buy for a lower priced safe (under $1000) with 'better-than-stack-on' quality that would be manageable if I move from my current home. With the 12 each 1-1/4 in. Diameter Locking Bolts & Auxiliary Relocker I think it should do the job well for a residential safe. Fireproofing could be stronger and it's 12ga steel instead of 10ga but would have to go more than a $grand$ to get those features. :party29:

Figured I better do it now before inflation makes my greenbacks worthless :lol2:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity-1043297

===

SKU Number: 1043297
    Manufacturers Number: TS-22-11
    Safe | Brand : Winchester® | Type : Gun Safe | Exterior Width : 30 in. | Exterior Length : 22 in. | Exterior Height : 59 in. | Inner Width : 27-1/4 in. | Inner Length : 16 in. | Inner Height : 55-1/2 in. | Capacity : 22.5 cu. ft.

Winchester® Safes will protect your firearms and valuables from fire and theft.

Fire Resistant to 30 minutes @ 1400° F
    UL Listed Electronic Lock
    Holds up to 24 Long Guns
    Palusol® Door Seal
    Layers of 1/2 in. Fireboard in Door
    2 Layers of 1/2 in. Fireboard in Body
    4-Way Active Bolt Work
    12 each 1-1/4 in. Diameter Locking Bolts
    Auxiliary Relocker
    Drill Resistant Hard Plate & Chamberlain Disc
    Door Panel Organizer
    5-Spoke Handle
    Convertible Gray Interior
    Durable Granite Gloss Powder Paint Finish
    59 in. H x 30 in. W x 22 in. D
    Cubic Capacity: 22.5 cu. ft.
    Weight: 507 lb.
    Limited Lifetime Warranty

Any thoughts?

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Hmmmm .... the green with the gold trim in your link looks good. All they had when I got mine was the light grey - they call it granite I think.

I knew once I bought it someone would find the same for a hundred less somewhere. Story of my life - day late and a dollar short.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Sam's cousin has that safe. He got it on sale @ Tractor Supply about a year ago - his is the darker grey, too. Holds a reasonable number of guns (ours are in there along with his at the moment).

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    I have the same one without the door organizer too. IIRC I caught it on sale for ~ $500 or so at the TSC in Fredericksburg. Not all TSC's carry the Winchester safes. Like you said, it's not a top of the line safe but I think it is a good value. The lock is decent and the door is easy to remove for moving it into the house.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    I got my Winchester safe from TSC in Mt. Airy last year. I totally like it.

Having said that, I'm already starting to out-grow it. Sometimes I kind of wish I had just spent the extra $$ to get a larger safe.

If you think it's size will meet your needs, then I'd say go for it.

HollowPoint

Aged Member
    Sep 13, 2011
    Inside the Outside
    Awesome!!! Appreciate everyone's comments!!! Funds limited me from spending the extra cash for a bigger safe - I just couldn't wait any longer. I was getting nervous about securing my collection. But, I can definitely foresee out growing it's capacity rather quickly. Best I could do at this point to scrape up the money. Had to put a firearm purchase on the back burner for now to do so. Guess I'll just have to drool over pics of the Sig & Kimber I wanted to get - ummmmm - for now!!!! :lol2:

gigawatt

Mar 6, 2009
    I bought that same safe from the Aberdeen TSC. $600, on sale for labor day weekend.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have this safe (with the door organizer from TSC). Paid around $580 (one sale as stated above).

For the money, I think it's a GREAT buy. 580lbs empty, it would be mighty tough to get into or move out of my house. I bolted mine down through 3/4" hardwood & 3/4" subfloor.

For general deterrent, and some fire resistance, it's pretty well built and well worth the money IMO. You aren't looking at a $3K dollar safe, but it's also not cheesy and mobile home looking on the inside like the Cannon models either (no offense intended to mobile home dwellers of course)

Jester1341

Pro Judge
    Apr 22, 2010
    Clear Spring, MD
    looks pretty nice without having seen one in person. i have a pretty comparable model by liberty. paid about twice as much, but i special ordered some stuff and paid for the brand name too no doubt. in a year or so i'll be getting a bigger one, but i will probably stick with liberty.

i have plenty of winchesters shooting supplies they are all good quality at a good price.

john

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom