• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Anyone in the HoCo area know how to put one back together? Dad had to go to the ER again today, and I needed something to do to relax while he was getting a few hours worth of tests done, so I thought I would clean my 30-30. Got it all apart and cleaned, started putting it back together, and the darn hammer spring thingy came off its mount. Great. The more I tried to get the stupid 700lb spring onto the microscopic mount, the more the stupid assembly came apart :sad20: I got the 3 pins and 2 springs for the assembly, but I am a little out of my league with the assembly, and quite frankly a little too flustered to get it back together. If someone in the area knows how to do it, that would be awesome, or if someone knows of a smith in HoCo that wouldn't ask me to pay his mortgage just to get this stupid thing back together, that would be good too.

Thanks.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    this link might help...i'm pretty good at putting stuff back together but Im in calvert county

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

Yea, thanks for that. That is the instructions I used to tear it down/clean it etc. When I was wiggling the trigger assembly back up into the receiver, that small looking spring popped off the hammer/trigger assembly. All heck broke loose about there. The darn tutorial even says not to try and attempt to disassemble the trigger assembly unless you are a smith, and he doesn't have any instructions to get it back together. I know HOW everything goes, just don't have the tools or small fingers to actually do it. Not to mention I would never get that darn spring back in, I think I tried for literally 3 hours straight (which is how the pins worked themselves loose in the assembly :( ). I guess I'll just have to wait until someone from HoCo knows a smith local or knows how to get it back together. Once that trigger assembly is back together, I can handle the rest. So much for my trunk rifle for the time being :sad20::tdown:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    do you have a vise? i would clamp it down between two pieces of wood then get some sturdy needle nose pliers to compress the spring down...one end should have a detent or something to hold it in place and other should be able to compress it down to get it back into the right spot...its hard to do/see/explain without seeing the parts...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    also this could help...if you have it locked in a vise with wood on both sides so as to not damage the metal you can get a pair of vise grips and clamp around the top of the spring loose enough to slide on the metal piece and tight enough so the spring doesnt pop off the vise grips and put the hammer in the fired position and then compress the spring down to lock it back into place...at least thats what i can see from the pics of the trigger group

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    where are you in howard county?

Live in Columbia, work in the Elkridge area most of the day.

also this could help...if you have it locked in a vise with wood on both sides so as to not damage the metal you can get a pair of vise grips and clamp around the top of the spring loose enough to slide on the metal piece and tight enough so the spring doesnt pop off the vise grips and put the hammer in the fired position and then compress the spring down to lock it back into place...at least thats what i can see from the pics of the trigger group

Yea, that was the last thing I tried. Honestly, I think I am just too flustered at this point lol. It's hard to tell from those pics, but that little 2 inch hammer spring is like 5.5 inches and super floppy when its out. There isn't anything to keep the spring on its little mount like you would think there would be (guess that's how it came off) and the thing must be 20lbs when you get it close. I can't tell you how many times my cat has hissed at me when a flying metal trident almost hit her in the head. I'll give it another shot when I get back from the hospital today, but I think Mr. MDman is going to have to save the day :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom