Will this handgun display damage my barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I agree with the Heat Shrink ideal or you could get some of that clear tubing from the hardware store to slide over it depending on your caliber.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If the pistol is blued (looks like his is), the tip of the rod will scratch the front of the barrel and/or slide as soon as the coating wears off the tip edges. The rods can also put fine scratches on stainless. I have a drawer full of those rods. I wouldn't use them again if somebody offered me money to do it. And the rod steel being softer than the barrel steel means you inevitably end up with vinyl and steel shavings inside the barrel.

As for the comments regarding frequent use, that's what the rods are marketed for and that's how many people use them, no matter if for shop displays or to hold a bedside pistol used for CCW.

The pistol has hk's hostile environment finish.... a ferritic nitrocarburizing that case hardens the steel and leaves it resistant to corrosion. If you rub the bare rod on the HK, the rod may rub off onto the gun, but the gun won't scratch. As far as leaving "shavings in the barrel"....nahh. The polygonal bore doesn't have the traditional lands and grooves that may shave a SMALL amount off. Even if it had traditional rifling, you're probably looking at more of a smudge on the gun's surface than "shavings". Nothing to worry about.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've been looking for some in longer lengths myself. Any idea who sells them in lengths of say, 6'' or longer?

a lot of the cabling and electronics companies sell it in cut lengths...google

Monoprice has 100' rolls in 15mm, 20mm, and 30mm for $7-$16

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    considering the gun pictured has a nitrided barrel, no

Generally the stands have some kind of powdercoat on the wire that goes into the barrel, the same kind of powdercoat on many epoxy jaketed rounds these days.

hypothetically, even if it was hardened steel the wire was made out of, on a nitrided barrel you don't have anything to worry about.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    The only thing going through my barrels are bullets, phosphor brushes, and patches. I don't even like it when a barrel lock gets shoved in it upon purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom