• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The legislature that enacted SB281 remains intact, there is no chance of repealing it.

On the other hand, my "peck at the vulnerable ones" theory has hope: Busch finished SECOND to McMillan in 30A and the non-winning 3rd & 4th candidates were BOTH within 6% of Busch. His seat is definitely vulnerable.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    No. He'll be a Republican governor in a very, very blue state. House and Senate will stall anything he wants to do, just like they did with Ehrlich. Great ideas in 2015 will be shot down until 2019 when a guy with a D after his name proposes the same thing, where it will then be viewed as manna from heaven.

If Hogan's smart, he realizes that he's a one term governor and he's going to be wearing the yoke of "what have you done as governor?" that he'll have thrust upon him by an obstructionist legislature that crippled his agenda. Govern for today as tomorrow is not promised going to happen.

Best we can hope for is some executive decrees to swing things back more toward common sense. Self defense for a carry license is one of those things, and I expect it early in his term.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    As many have already said, the Governor cannot repeal SB281/FSA2013 however the legislature can propose new legislation to change or make new provisions. Last year Del.Smigiel introduced how many such bills that unfortunatly went nowhere. My question is who is going to follow in his footsteps?

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Nothing will change, we have no majority in House nor Senate. BUT also nothing should be added, no new gun provisions.

What I could possibly see is instructions on what should be considered and accepted as G&S. Kind of like Obama's selective interpretation of law. maybe faster processing of background checks, hey maybe even NICs at POS.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    No. He'll be a Republican governor in a very, very blue state. House and Senate will stall anything he wants to do, just like they did with Ehrlich. Great ideas in 2015 will be shot down until 2019 when a guy with a D after his name proposes the same thing, where it will then be viewed as manna from heaven.

If Hogan's smart, he realizes that he's a one term governor and he's going to be wearing the yoke of "what have you done as governor?" that he'll have thrust upon him by an obstructionist legislature that crippled his agenda. Govern for today as tomorrow is not promised going to happen.

Best we can hope for is some executive decrees to swing things back more toward common sense. Self defense for a carry license is one of those things, and I expect it early in his term.

THIS!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    IMO it would be smart to leave FSA2013 alone so history can show it did noting positive and attack that in his second term. He would be smart to change G&S to "Self Defense" asap. This will mean it will be 3-4 years of people carrying guns in MD until the next election cycle. There will be 4 years of data and "norming" to show that blood wont run in the streets. It will nullify any fright factor in the next election and he will gain votes for it too IMO. The sooner he changes G&S the better and let that be ALL he does except oppose new antigun legislation that the D's put forth.

It is a nice theory, one that I want to agree with. The problem is, facts don't sway those that insist on blaming an inanimate object, instead of blaming the human being that used it. They just can't grasp the concept of personal responsibility, instead of the doctrine that everyone is a victim, and "people are basically good." It is some special cool-aide they are drinking.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Ever wonder what might happen if we put pressure on the MGA.. The press knows something is up.. we can use that.

Or we can set Hogan up for failure and then complain about it.

If we do not support hogan its on us. And most likely I will pack it in. I only fight op force , once my own side turns against my objectives I am done.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

For heavens sake, the next thing you will claim is that Ehrlich tried to legalize gambling. :innocent0

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    I definetly don't see him trying to repeal it. I don't want him to, we can use it to our advantage and bring light to the fact that criminals don't care what you pass. I do however, feel that he can weaken it, through defunding or placing people in key positions to relax possible enforcement on certain parts, change how it's wording is interperted and prevent further legislation from being ramrodded through. IIRC, SB281 didnt pass by a landslide, so this is definetly our chance to make things happen, BUT, Hogan needs our help....he won, but this doesn't mean that we slack off, Now the real fight begins. Stay vigilant, stay engaged, stay informed.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    How often is there a republican governor and a democrat attorney general?

Things could get interesting... Hogan could be under investigation during his entire administration for the most ridiculous accusations..

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    If any law has a chance of repeal it's the rain tax, which is unpopular with all but the most extreme progressives.

SB281 may not have cost Democrats votes, but it did not help them either. Brown got No benefit from gun control. Supporting gun control, even in MD, gets you no votes.

Feb 28, 2013
    I like the idea of making it easier to get a MD CCP now, and saving trying to get laws repealed for later. Then there would likely be data that wouldn't be in the Dems' favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom