• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    He's the new CC Sheriff. I'm new to the NFA game and wondering if anyone knows his stance on this. I know the previous Sheriff wouldn't do it.

Searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If he doesn't, I'm sure we can remind him that while MD is largely anti-2A, being anti-2A in Carroll County (where 82% of all voters went with Hogan) is not a great political move. All we'd need to do is post billboards on 140, 27, 30 and 91 saying that DeWees is banning guns in Carroll County ;)

I'm shocked that Tregoning wouldn't sign off on NFA items! I'm not into NFA stuff, so I never had a reason to find out.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Actually, Tregoning was signing them when he felt like it, and didn't feel like it when the MSP and ATF were playing their shenanigans over SBR's. Can't blame him for some of it, but he became very grumpy over the matter, and gave some people the cold shoulder. He needs to retire, simple as that.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for the responses guys! Would love to be able to have the local guy do it as opposed to heading up to pikesville. We shall see!

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I called Tregoning's office last month and was told to go to MSP.

Yeah I got a "he won't do it" when I called. I have high hopes for DeWees. Not only am I hoping he signs enthusiastically, but I hope the 6-8 weeks MSP is running is way longer than he will. Sign off on NFA in 2-3 weeks would be awesome (though it would suck for my wallet)

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    A few years ago when I first dropped off my CLEO letter for my C&R license I requested to drop it off with Tregoning personally. So at least he could put a face to the letter. If you make an appointment there is no reason why the Sheriff can't sign something right then and there. It's Carroll County, not Baltimore City, they should have time.

I'll make it a point to get a From 1 signed off by DeWees, even though I already have an NFA trust. They need to know the 2A community helped get them elected, and that is a small part of their duties. I have no problem with them doing a brief interview and wanting to see the person requesting the form, but to shove it off to MSP is not the principles in which he was elected.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Yeah I got a "he won't do it" when I called. I have high hopes for DeWees. Not only am I hoping he signs enthusiastically, but I hope the 6-8 weeks MSP is running is way longer than he will. Sign off on NFA in 2-3 weeks would be awesome (though it would suck for my wallet)

Tregoning signed two for me (SBR and suppressor) about a year apart. I had to meet him in his office in Westminster. We chatted for awhile and he signed and thanked me both times, as I remember. Seemed pretty supportive. January of '11 and August of '11 are the dates on the signatures. Less than a day between initial call and the signature.

I also spoke to DeWees at the National Day Out in Sykesville. We discussed 2A issues, and he was very vocal about his direct opposition to SB281 and support for 2A as a constitutional right. I didn't ask about NFA. Wish I had now that I think about it.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    It's all about first impressions. Whoever gets to go first and test the waters, on whether he'll sign NFA forms, make sure to make an appointment, dress fairly nice, and be polite. However, be assertive that it's legal to own these firearms in MD, and how MSP has a shall-issue policy for these kind of weapons, baring the passing of a MD background check. Let him know its within his powers to sign these forms and it's part of the principles in which he was elected.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    It's all about first impressions. Whoever gets to go first and test the waters, on whether he'll sign NFA forms, make sure to make an appointment, dress fairly nice, and be polite. However, be assertive that it's legal to own these firearms in MD, and how MSP has a shall-issue policy for these kind of weapons, baring the passing of a MD background check. Let him know its within his powers to sign these forms and it's part of the principles in which he was elected.

Absolutely this.

I'm sure I won't be first as I need time to gather pennies, but I look forward to running a form 4 past him for a sparrow eventually.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    He's a neighbor and our kids play for the same soccer program. I'll ask him in person next time I see him.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Bumping this up as 41P comes down the pike (less than a month). Has anyone determined yet if DeWees will sign?

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    As far as I know he will. I had to drop off some paperwork there a while back and the desk officer told me he will sign off. Don't know of anyone who has tried yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom