• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    You're welcome. I bought a M44 and t53 recently so I'm trying my hardest to pass this up.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    SOG has M44 laminates for $300. Pretty steep price even before shipping, but SOG usually doesn't disappoint. If they were a little cheaper I'd spring for a HP.

I'm very happy with the T53 I got from SOG, although for $70 more I got a matching numbers one in better shape from Shooter's Discount a few days later.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Tempting but I already have two T53's and thinning the herd anyway. Just sold enfield and mauser. Trying to decide what is next. Keeping all my handguns for now.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Oops my bad. :sad20:

yeah, they have. I just got mine a few days ago. All matching except for the mag plate. Stock is good shape, bore is in good shape but a tad dark (expected that), bolt runs well. No cosmo, just light oil on it. For the money a nice deal. I have two other M44's so I will go through them and sell one of em.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Perhaps I am mistaken but I see a red flag on the M44 Russian Carbines Widener's just put up for sale at $169.95. Reading the Ad it appears Widener's is saying the Carbines may not have matching serial numbers, they could be rusted, no slings and the Barrel is counter bored for better accuracy?
    For our younger members counter boring is over-drilling the size of Bore several inches into the Muzzle. I have heard several reasons for doing this, the Bore is shot out, rusted or the Weapon was cleaned so much with the metal beaded cleaning chain that was provided to the troops, that the Crown of the Bore was worn to an oval.
    I have never had anyone convince me that changing the Ballistics of a weapon by using a shot out counter-bored weapon improved accuracy. I can however guarantee it will drop the price and make the Weapon harder to re-sell.
    Nice M44 Carbines are getting harder to find, but for a similar price a fair to good Carbine can occasionally still be found.
    Who knows? maybe we have reached the end of the excellent M44's and this is a last ditch to obtain one of these historic weapons, but I don't think so.
    Don't get me wrong I applaud Widener's for their honesty, but think with a bit of searching and maybe a few Bucks more our members can do better.
    Later,
    Eddie O

Attachments

• M44  Carbine Wideners 170.jpg
      M44 Carbine Wideners 170.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 405

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The recent ones have all come from MOLOT in Russia, thus the lack of cosmo. There is some evidence that the Soviets couterbored many of their carbines as part of refurbishment, whether they needed it or not, this is not really an issue for value or resale, I would bet the vast majority of these are not rusted but they put that disclaimer in to try to cut down on returns.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Does anyone know if Widener's has resolved their online hacked accounts problems?

Or, should we still order stuff over the phone?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I bought one a couple weeks ago from wideners for $169 plus $14 or so shipping. I am EXTREMELY satisfied. Rifle is in great condition and all numbers matching. No sling but came with all the other normal accessories did. No rust, no pitting and bore doesn't look too bad.

For not much more than than a beat up T53, you can get a real nice M44 that has already been de-cosmo'd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Counter boring is done to improve a dinged or shot out muzzle and works quite well. Don't let a counter bored barrel be the factor that determines weather you purchase a rifle/carbine. That being said, some people (Bubbas) have chopped barrels off at the counter bore, shortening the rifle.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I s'pose I'll find out what they're like since I broke down and ordered one. I admit I'm weak...:innocent0

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    The Finns were a big fan of counterboring, and they were the kings of Mosin accuracy.

As being said before there is an ass for every seat. Glad our members so far have been getting good weapons, The Carbine is a must for every collection this one is just not for me. Sounds like a roll of the dice, there will be winners and losers
    I have never seen an Artical on the Finns counter boring a weapon for accuracy? If it is more accurate they would have made their weapons that way? Counter boring is a cheap way to prevent a bullet from bouncing around when fired, it does no change the inherent accuracy of a weapon.

Eddie O

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Does anyone know if Widener's has resolved their online hacked accounts problems?

Or, should we still order stuff over the phone?

Yea, good deal but I'm not going through the hassle of getting a new card after the number gets stolen. I'll pass:tdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom