• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    Politicaly speaking, finding out that the fire was set by a radical lefty-liberal, might be about the only positive outcome. That, and nobody being hurt of course.

kelvinchufei

Jan 31, 2009
    Pikesville, MD
    That's not a conspiracy any more if that is the case...

at least arson or even domestic terrorist attack...

I'm part of the vast left-wing conspiracy, and I assure you that our main plan is to take away all of your rifles that look scary to us by labeling them "assault rifles". We're also trying to ban all of your ammunition under the pretext that it contains lead. But we hadn't thought to torch ammunition storage depots directly. Maybe I'll bring it up at the next VLWC meeting.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Attention everyone

A friend of mine is a dealer, and he tried to contact Widener's via their commercial contact info.

They told him it WAS NOT their facility, and that he could place an order!!!!

Still trying to confirm this, but he told me they answered his Email, quite promptly!

and this: "...radio traffic from Johnson City/Washington County 911 dispatchers indicated a building near the property contained fireworks, powder and fertilizer."

why is it always the fertilizer???

wait, another tidbit....

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/158058-explosion-fire-wideners.html

kelvinchufei

Jan 31, 2009
    Pikesville, MD
    Ammonium nitrate is one of the gradients for explosives

Attention everyone

A friend of mine is a dealer, and he tried to contact Widener's via their commercial contact info.

Still trying to confirm this, but he told me they answered his Email, quite promptly!

and this: "...radio traffic from Johnson City/Washington County 911 dispatchers indicated a building near the property contained fireworks, powder and fertilizer."

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Good firm, bad day,

Hope all are well. My ammo is not worth some kids' dad...

EDIT:

Hope all are well. My food/corn is not worth some kids' dad.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    It now sounds like a much better chance that it was an unoccupied "out" building for storage,
    that could be the best news of the day, if that is the case.
    :beer:

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Fortunately, from what I recall from Mythbusters, ammo that explodes outside of the confines of a chamber/barrel isn't actually that deadly. The brass ruptures and releases the forces of the explosion relatively easily, producing maybe some shrapnel, but nothing moving even remotely close to the speed/lethality of the bullet when it's fired from a gun.

Although, in an ammo storage facility, if you have millions of rounds going off, that evens the odds somewhat.

The bullet travels a few feet, maybe a few yards, depending on weight and initial position when detonation occurs. There is no "maybe some shrapnel" my friend - there most assuredly is a LOT of shrapnel. Little pieces of shrapnel leaving the initial site very, very rapidly. Take this as gospel but don't ask me how I know.... :innocent0

And a slight hijack - this is why when the trigger is pulled and there isn't a bang, keep the muzzle pointed downrange for a bit. Unless you are actively getting shot at, don't immediately cycle the action. This will eject the round that could potentially be burning a very slow primer...and detonate next to your hand/face/buddy. Is 20 seconds really worth it? /hijack

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fortunately, from what I recall from Mythbusters, ammo that explodes outside of the confines of a chamber/barrel isn't actually that deadly. The brass ruptures and releases the forces of the explosion relatively easily, producing maybe some shrapnel, but nothing moving even remotely close to the speed/lethality of the bullet when it's fired from a gun.

Although, in an ammo storage facility, if you have millions of rounds going off, that evens the odds somewhat.

Ya it may be like "popcorn" but that is still alot of powder going off. Sort of like a big a&& pipe bomb.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I'm part of the vast left-wing conspiracy, and I assure you that our main plan is to take away all of your rifles that look scary to us by labeling them "assault rifles". We're also trying to ban all of your ammunition under the pretext that it contains lead. But we hadn't thought to torch ammunition storage depots directly. Maybe I'll bring it up at the next VLWC meeting.

That's just funny.:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom