• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think it started as a panic, it started as a shortage. I really believe the factories are using their labor to fill the higher profit 5.56/HG caliber orders, and putting out less of the lower profit .22 lr. Once people start seeing shortages on their .22 supply, they panic and buy up more than normal and so we have the current situation. What scares me about this is ATK was quoted last week as saying "they have a back-order queue, that currently will take 3 years to fill". I don't know if it is true, but it isn't promising.

Different production lines, different equipment.

The factories are turning out as much .22 ammo as always, people are still panic buying.

Like powder, Hodgdon is producing more powder this year than last year. And 805 of their production does to consumers (reloaders) but you can't find it anywhere.

But now, if I find a powder I use, I don't buy a pound, I buy several, as I don't when I will be able to get it again.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Amazing! in the classifieds someone is selling .22 at a 100 bucks a brick. f ing nuts.

jcass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 21, 2012
    gambrills , maryland
    cci is making 4 million .22 lr rounds a day , I would imagine that remington and winchester are doing the same. Also all the other manufactures making what ever their production runs are, you'd think there would be plenty.

mgagne77

MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2012
    Maryland
    My daughter recently showed intrest in going to the range. She shot some. 22LR down range and loved it. Bugging me every day about going again. Problem is, no ammo! Stocked up on all my other ammo before the election except for the. 22. Maybe I can find someone to trade. 223 for it. Not ready to pay the elevated prices I see.

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    The sound from a .22 won't draw in zombies from as far. And it's a lot easier to pack 300 rounds for a post-apocalypse Walmart supply run, which is where most of your zombies are going to congregate, since it's embedded in their subconscious to seek out others of the same kind.
    Zombie based planning is critical...always be prepared
    :party29:

CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    It is a well known survival/tin foil hat wearing hedge against the collapse of civilization.

Somehow .22 is going to save them from the end of the world...

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    My daughter recently showed intrest in going to the range. She shot some. 22LR down range and loved it. Bugging me every day about going again. Problem is, no ammo! Stocked up on all my other ammo before the election except for the. 22. Maybe I can find someone to trade. 223 for it. Not ready to pay the elevated prices I see.

I'm in a similar situation which is what prompted my original question. My daughter has been wanting to go to the range, plus I just bought a new 22 pistol the other day that I want to take out and play with, and my existing supply of plinking ammo is dwindling. Prior to the panic I never gave a thought to stocking up on 22's, I just picked up whatever I needed whenever I needed it at walmart...

rustyrustic

Mar 7, 2013
    Don't forget New York. One provision of their insane new law is that residents can't buy ammo online after a certain date. I'm sure they're buying a lot now while they still can and 22 is the most popular out there.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    .... everyone should have 10-20,000 rounds of .22lr at home .... AT ALL TMES ...

this should also be the minimum requirement to join MDS .... jus' sayin' .... :innocent0

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    according to the CCI "how 22lr is made" video they sell a lot of it overseas.

so factories may be filling overseas orders also, while annoying for us is actually the best thing possible for our economy, get money back from other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom