Why polymer not a replacement for aircraft grade aluminum!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Yeah, we still need a brand name. I have two of the New Frontier ones, one set up in a light weight for a disabled relative as an SD/HD/Zombie gun so we need to know.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I saw Plum Crazy lowers built into complete rifles at the Chantilly Show right after Obama got elected, with crappy rails and accessories for $1400.

I'm so glad I built and purchased several high-quality guns long before all this madness. To the OP - that sucks but I see you learned your lesson. Sure you'll save a few bucks but when a proper lower will last a lifetime... how many plastic ones (plus transfer fees, background checks, etc.) will you have to go through at this rate?

Buy once, cry once.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Seriously blaming the polymer for the failure is ALL wrong. You have to look at the design, it was a design that made the assumption that the tensile strength and durability were that of aluminum.

You can design a similar lower which takes into account the strength and cycling properties of a polymer and it might never fail. Aluminum AR's can and do fail in the same spot.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I saw the posts on poly lowers long before i bought one - the failures were few and usually due to abuse. Even then the manufacturers like plumb crazy REPLACE THEM under warranty.

I've had no problems with mine but i'm replacing the lower with a spikes and plan to use the plumb crazy lower for pistol calibers

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    It was a bushmaster. I honestly have never seen that happen with a metal lower. Not even with the crap one I had in basic that fat out of shape recruits slammed into gravel, dirt, and mud to break their fall during IMT drills.

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    Also I was shooting 5.56x45mm M855 rounds. And sorry I didn't come back to answer all of your questions every two hours. Between work and drill I haven't had much time this week to check this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom