• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Good training isn't cheap, in any arena. Example, a half day beginner outdoor photography class @ REI is $85. Basically, shutter, aperture, DoF, light, done (a good beginners glass). Full day classes from good well established teachers go from about $495/ day or so. When you go to people who have established an expertise in a subject that others want to learn, you should expect to pay them for their efforts. If they aren't any good, and their class isn't worth it, their classes will be short lived, I rarely walk away from a class and think that I did not get my moneys worth from it.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    To those that think that basic and advanced firearms training is expensive, you’re right, to an extent. If you want training to be available at a much lower cost, I have some suggestions.

First, become a certified firearms instructor. Obtain the requisite insurance and all the required class materials. Find a location/range that will allow you to teach the course(s). Schedule, organize, advertise, and teach the course(s). Complete and submit the class paperwork (whether NRA or State).

Second, if the costs you incur in achieving the goals in paragraph two are more than you think are reasonable to charge the student for a course, ask your club or organization to subsidize the class(es). If that isn’t something that they are willing to do (most clubs/ranges are already busy raising funds to simply maintain the facilities they have), then raise funds yourself though whatever activity works for you. It could be a gun raffle (make sure that you obtain the required permits), a bake sale or anything in between. A local sportsmen’s group raised over $6K for political action in 2008 by having a Longerberger basket auction. Donate your Orioles or Ravens PSL seats for one game for a raffle? You could always seek a grant from various shooting related organizations too. Perhaps fraternal organizations (Lions Club, Freemasons, Church, etc.) would consider subsidizing classes for their members or others?

Third, become a training counselor and then offer reduced cost instructor classes so that you can ensure a larger pool of instructors.

After a year or two, let us know how you’re doing and how deep you have gone into your own pocket to fund the class(es).

Keep in mind that I’m addressing only currently available firearms training curriculums. None of us has any idea of what will come out of the State regarding the 4 hour training class (no live fire!?!?) required under SB281. There is no information available (that I am aware of) regarding the information and materials that will/may be required by the State. There is no information (that I am aware of) regarding certification by the State for Instructors for course. There is no information (that I am aware of) regarding any class fee to be assessed and who will pay the cost (the student or the State. I’m betting it will be the student).

I’m not saying that reduced or no cost basic firearms classes are unobtainable, but the person/people involved would have to be very creative in maintaining the funding.

Matt G

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , advanced training involves the knowledge , experience , and inovations of the Founder/ Instructor. NRA Training involves the exact following of NRA lesson plan with no addition or omission. Most "basic" information used to come from parents , relatives , and knowledegable friends and neighbors. They didn't use to charge , but didn't hand out pieces of paper afterward.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Ok , advanced training involves the knowledge , experience , and inovations of the Founder/ Instructor. NRA Training involves the exact following of NRA lesson plan with no addition or omission. Most "basic" information used to come from parents , relatives , and knowledegable friends and neighbors. They didn't use to charge , but didn't hand out pieces of paper afterward.

Problem with this type of training, is that if you are new to a subject, you don't know if the non-credentialed person is giving you good advise/ training. You been to the range when the guy in the next lane is showing his relative how to hold the weapon in a cup and saucer grip, or saying something like "the .22 round is not as dangerous to shoot, because it is smaller than the 9mm"? There are lots of people who think they are SMEs out there, that really do more harm than good. That is why spending the time to find a good credentialed trainer is so important.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    There was a earlier groupon for the Utah class from MMTA for around $75. (They also had a bring a friend special for $50.)

I already have my Utah permit, but being able to get out of the house and not do daddy duty for 3.5 hours was priceless. Plus, it was an excellent class.

Compared to specialized computer classes which can run up to $1K / day, it was cheap.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I think you are taking the wrong classes. I would bend over backward to give Center Mass more of my money. These guys are no joke.

Learning from "insert name here" the firearm guy who has a huge belly and a bunch of crappy opinions based on no real world experience isn't worth a six pack.

You want culture, go to the range and chat with someone who shoots better than you. You want professional training from professionals pay for it. Chances are good you'll never forget or regret it.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    As a full time firearms instructor, I can tell you that the value that I give in training far exceeds the cost for the student. I amaze myself every week when I write myself a paycheck that I'm even able to do so. For one class, I need:

Certification
    advertising
    insurance
    firearms
    ammo
    printed materials
    copy machine
    office supplies
    office rent
    utilities
    staff
    meals
    travel expenses
    range rental

The list never ends. You want me to show you how to clean a gun? I'll need about $40 - $50 in cleaning supplies, and a gun. You want me to show you how to clear malfunctions? I'll need dummy rounds and a gun. You want me to show you the proper grip and to evaluate your shooting for an hour? I'll need a gun, ammo, targets, range, etc.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Sirt guns, dummy ammo, NRA gun safety posters, spare projector bulbs, Microsoft Office...

Not to mention NRA materials for training, NRA student kits, range fees, room rental fee, renewal fees for certifications, continuing education, extra insurance for teaching at more than one range/facility (the NRA insurance only covers up to two), the state fees for being incorporated, advertising fees, etc.

The cost grows. That is why the NRA Basic Instructor Training class devotes an entire session on planning a class. It is an eye-opening exercise.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As a full time firearms instructor, I can tell you that the value that I give in training far exceeds the cost for the student. I amaze myself every week when I write myself a paycheck that I'm even able to do so. For one class, I need:

Certification
    advertising
    insurance
    firearms
    ammo
    printed materials
    copy machine
    office supplies
    office rent
    utilities
    staff
    meals
    travel expenses
    range rental

The list never ends. You want me to show you how to clean a gun? I'll need about $40 - $50 in cleaning supplies, and a gun. You want me to show you how to clear malfunctions? I'll need dummy rounds and a gun. You want me to show you the proper grip and to evaluate your shooting for an hour? I'll need a gun, ammo, targets, range, etc.

You stated it well!

Some of instructors and TCs do offer classes at cost of materials to clubs and other organizations (BSA, 4H, IWLA, etc). I know that I have trained a few RSOs for ENSF for the cost of the NRA RSO Student Guides and I know the folks at IOTA have done the same for the RSO staff at the AGC.

We also work hand in hand with some gunshops/FFLS to provide an hour or two of range instruction and basic gun maintenance classes to new gun owners. There are several IPs here who offer classes for free for new gun owners. Not all the training we do is for a 'profit'.

C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia

Certification
    advertising
    insurance
    firearms
    ammo
    printed materials
    copy machine
    office supplies
    office rent
    utilities
    staff
    meals
    travel expenses
    range rental

This man speaks the truth. On top of that, I'm sure all the full time training companies are seeing a hit this year with the whole gun control debacle. People aren't able to attend training because they can't find ammo at a reasonable price or they can't replenish their war stocks if used for the training. People don't prioritize training. They rather spend the money they have to stock ammo, buy spare parts for their AR15 and magazines.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    You stated it well!

Some of instructors and TCs do offer classes at cost of materials to clubs and other organizations (BSA, 4H, IWLA, etc). I know that I have trained a few RSOs for ENSF for the cost of the NRA RSO Student Guides and I know the folks at IOTA have done the same for the RSO staff at the AGC.

We also work hand in hand with some gunshops/FFLS to provide an hour or two of range instruction and basic gun maintenance classes to new gun owners. There are several IPs here who offer classes for free for new gun owners. Not all the training we do is for a 'profit'.

This is what I would expect to see, I am not saying NOT to charge, I just would expect to see more of this within established institutions and even at some of the bigger gun shops.

Is there any other recognized training besides NRA courses?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    People don't prioritize training. They rather spend the money they have to stock ammo, buy spare parts for their AR15 and magazines.

Very true....sadly, they'll blow $200 worth of ammo using poor skills at the range, and not think to spend $40 for an hour with an instructor to correct their errors and weaknesses.

C45P312

Jan 17, 2012
    Virginia
    Very true....sadly, they'll blow $200 worth of ammo using poor skills at the range, and not think to spend $40 for an hour with an instructor to correct their errors and weaknesses.

Yeah, I now go to the range with specific purposes of training in mind whether it is accuracy, shooting on the move, shooting from barricades, multiple targets, etc. Gone are the days I just go out to plink at steel.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Is there any other recognized training besides NRA courses?

Many instructors write their own courses. You just have to do the research and find someone who knows what the hell they're talking about and if their methodologies are sound.

Anyone can teach a basic gun safety class. Some people teach all kinds of concealed carry mumbo-jumbo but have never had to pull their gun, point it at someone and make a decision about pulling that trigger. Unfortunately, most students just look for the big blue circle and don't know what material they're going to get, or worse; what they are not getting.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

Point me to someone that will train for $40 an hour and Ill buy some slots right now. IMO there is a difference between classroom training and range training. The classroom training is what I find "expensive" NOT the range time.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Point me to someone that will train for $40 an hour and Ill buy some slots right now. IMO there is a difference between classroom training and range training. The classroom training is what I find "expensive" NOT the range time.

Our private shooting lessons are $40 per hour (of which we lose a few $$ in credit card fees - that's just the cost of doing business). I'll work with a student on anything they'd like. Mostly what people want/need is basic instruction (stance, grip, etc) but we'll often do various mag changes, threat assessment, shooting from cover, off hand shooting, etc. Obviously there's some limitations with an indoor range vs. outdoor range.

Classroom training is all relative to what you are getting. I'll use our Basic Firearms Safety class as an example....

We do a 5 hour classroom session for $69 that people can use to apply for a Va. CHP.

The lessons taught are:

An introduction to firearms and the causes of firearms related accidents.
    4 rules of gun safety
    Handgun nomenclature - revolver and semi-autos
    Ammunition - cartridge firing sequence and ammo safety
    Proper home storage of firearms
    Children and firearms
    Handling semi-auto malfunctions
    Care and maintenance of your gun
    Explanation of the CHP application process
    Answering a myriad of questions that the students have

For what we give, I think that the value is very fair. 5 hours/$69 is less than $14 an hour. Gun show classes held in a trailer for 2-3 hours will cost you $75 here locally. Again, you have to know what you are getting and judge the value accordingly.

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Why is training so expensive?

I am preparing to get my RSO and its discounted at $80

But I was checking out other classes

FIRST Step Pistol Orientation is $110
    Basic Pistol cost $70+
    Home firearm Safety is $90
    Basic Rifle $175
    Pistol instructor / BIT is $80/135

I am all about training, I like to go out and train as much as possible but sometimes "official" training is out of whack on pricing. I understand people want to make some money but gee weez.........

I feel that I have to comment on this post because on June 15th our company will celebrate it's 38th year in the training business. In order to understand the cost you have to know what the business is providing. How many hours will the instructor be lecturing in front of the class? Will he supply the firearms, ammunition, targets, pay the range fee, etc? Does the company have a fixed location where it pays rent each month or does the instructor work out of the trunk of his/her car? Do they have telephones, fax machines, copiers, etc? Are they State-Certified - - meaning they have to pay for a business license and for their instructors certifications, etc? Do they have insurance in case you don't follow instructions and shoot yourself in the foot on the range? All of these things cost.

Shop around and compare prices. Just make sure you are comparing "apples to apples". For example, the D.C. requires new SPO's to have 40 hours of firearms training. Maryland only requires 8 hours for an entry level Armed Guard. Naturally, there will be a big difference in pricing, so you can't compare the two as they are different things.

It's just like buying a car. Each dealer can set their own price, but no one forces you to buy from any dealer. Shop around. There are some good trainers out here - - but there is no such thing as a "free lunch." Basically, you get what you pay for. Good luck and be safe!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    80 bucks for a class. That is cheap. Budget dust.
    The company I work for charges 3K for 4 days of classroom training. Granted it is a highly specialized field, but so is firearm instruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom